Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is actually random Brewers news;

They just showed a graphic on MLB Network of pitchers since 2007 with at least 10Ks in a game, and a home run. 6 total. Grienke today, Yo had two of them, and Capuano back in 2007 made up 4 of them.

The other two were Randy Wolf as a Dodger and CC Sabathia as an Indian.

Reds just lost to the Phillies in 19 innings and have to play again in less than 12 hours. Both bullpens are shredded. Phillies ran out of pitchers and had to use Wilson Valdez who got the win. Jose Arredondo, who just came off of Tommy John surgery I believe threw 13 pitches, Bill Bray threw 11, Nick Masset threw 22, Francisco Cordero threw 27, Logan Ondrusek threw 22 and Carlos Fisher threw 95.

Reds just lost to the Phillies in 19 innings and have to play again in less than 12 hours. Both bullpens are shredded. Phillies ran out of pitchers and had to use Wilson Valdez who got the win. Jose Arredondo, who just came off of Tommy John surgery I believe threw 13 pitches, Bill Bray threw 11, Nick Masset threw 22, Francisco Cordero threw 27, Logan Ondrusek threw 22 and Carlos Fisher threw 95.

Games like this are brutal on both teams pitching staffs, but it's gotta be extra brutal when you lose that type of game. Kill your bullpen and have nothing to show for it.

I see Posey was injured at the end of the Giants extra innings loss last night. If it was something minor that kept him out for, oh say, their next series... I wouldn't be too upset.

edit: After looking at the replay a few times, and reading some of the reports and player comments... it looks like it might be pretty serious.

I see Posey was injured at the end of the Giants extra innings loss last night. If it was something minor that kept him out for, oh say, their next series... I wouldn't be too upset.

edit: After looking at the replay a few times, and reading some of the reports and player comments... it looks like it might be pretty serious.

Just saw the video of the collision. Weird play. Posey is blocking the plate on his knees, and it looks like his ankle gets rolled in the process.

I don't think the injury happens like that if he just fields the throw standing up to block the plate with his shinguards. (It can even go the other way, as anyone who remembers J.J. Hardy putting his foot on wrong after sliding into home can attest.)

At the same time, I'm amazed there aren't more concussions from plays at the plate like this.

"Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.”

Sounds like it might be a season ending type of thing.

According to MLB Network, Buster Posey broke his left leg and tore

ligaments in his knee. He is likely to miss the remainder of the

season. The Giants recalled Brandon Belt from Fresno.

Here is a link from NBC Sports about the injury.

I still say that with players of that caliber - Posey and Mauer, that they shouldn't be at catcher in the first place. It's just too much of a grind and too many ways to get hurt. But that's neither here nor there.

The Reds/Phillies game was very interesting last night, both teams had numerous chances. Phillips got picked off of second base in the 9th inning with no outs and a 3-1 count on the hitter (with a man at first). Glad the Phillies finally got the win though, puts us in second all by ourselves. Reds have lost something like 7 of 8 too. And they both have to play less than 12 hours later. Go Phillies I guess.

I still say that with players of that caliber - Posey and Mauer, that they shouldn't be at catcher in the first place. It's just too much of a grind and too many ways to get hurt. But that's neither here nor there.
The thing with that, and its more with Mauer than with Posey, is that a good part of their value IS because they play catcher. Mauer has great #'s for a catcher, but would you really want a 10+ HR hitter as your 1B or corner outfielder?

As a contrast the Posey collision, they were talking about this on MLB Network last night, Molina appears to be jawing at Bartlett for his slide on this play;

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/...b&tcid=vpp_copy_15188455

Neither feed discussed it, but MLB Network had a shot that more clearly showed Molina saying something, and Bartlett turns around and looks at him. About the only thing I can see wrong with that slide is that Molina is a Cardinal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They just showed a graphic on MLB Network of pitchers since 2007 with at least 10Ks in a game, and a home run. 6 total. Grienke today, Yo had two of them, and Capuano back in 2007 made up 4 of them.

The other two were Randy Wolf as a Dodger and CC Sabathia as an Indian.

This is why the Brewers wanted to be in the NL. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

As a contrast the Posey collision, they were talking about this on MLB Network last night, Molina appears to be jawing at Bartlett for his slide on this play;

Neither feed discussed it, but MLB Network had a shot that more clearly showed Molina saying something, and Bartlett turns around and looks at him. About the only thing I can see wrong with that slide is that Molina is a Cardinal.

What the heck was wrong with that slide? That was just a clean feet first slide. He could've ran him over if he wanted to. Just because his foot was there blocking the plate doesn't mean he can't slide into it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

What the heck was wrong with that slide? That was just a clean feet first slide. He could've ran him over if he wanted to. Just because his foot was there blocking the plate doesn't mean he can't slide into it.

Another thing Chris Carpenter has to explain to his son. He's going to be a busy guy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Another thing Chris Carpenter has to explain to his son. He's going to be a busy guy.

Lol, he'll hardly have time to concentrate on his classy style of pitching.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I read his agent is going to talk to Torre about addressing rule changes for collisions at the plate.
Here are some quotes from his agent:

"You leave players way too vulnerable," Berry said. "I can tell you

Major League Baseball is less than it was before [Posey's injury]. It's

stupid. I don't know if this ends up leading to a rule change, but it

should. The guy [at the plate] is too exposed.

"If you go helmet

to helmet in the NFL, it's a $100,000 fine, but in baseball, you have a

situation in which runners are [slamming into] fielders. It's brutal.

It's borderline shocking. It just stinks for baseball. I'm going to

call Major League Baseball and put this on the radar. Because it's just

wrong."

I disagree with Berry here. It sucks that Posey got hurt, but I don't think it should lead to a rule change. Who do you give the advantage to, the catcher or the runner? Does the runner have to avoid the catcher? Are we going to Little League rules where you must slide on a play at home or you are out? What if the throw causes the catcher to cross the base path? Is the runner out if he runs into him then?

As a contrast the Posey collision, they were talking about this on MLB

Network last night, Molina appears to be jawing at Bartlett for his

slide on this play;

Neither feed discussed it, but MLB Network had a shot that more clearly

showed Molina saying something, and Bartlett turns around and looks at

him. About the only thing I can see wrong with that slide is that

Molina is a Cardinal.

I saw the replay on MLB Network and agree with you that Molina took issue. The Cardinals are getting ridiculous with this stuff. What is Bartlett suppose to do? Not try so Molina can make the catch and tag him out? Bartlett didn't go in with his spikes up, it was a clean slide and Molina was in his way. Why do the Cardinals feel that everything that happens against them is some sort of slight?

Why do the Cardinals feel that everything that happens against them is some sort of slight?

Honestly i think it's TLR's doing. You take on the personality of your manager sometimes and he seems like the kind of guy who complains about everything, and probably feeds the "us vs the world" mentality.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived