Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19
KegStand81]Tony LaRussa has pinkeye!

Going to work with a communicable illness = classy.

http://blogs.riverfrontti...a_russa_face_pinkeye.php

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/tony%20la%20russa%20face.jpg

As it turns out, he has shingles. Take it from me: it's HORRIBLE.

I had the same thing starting around Halloween. Most people get it on their torso or back, but I, along with La Russa, had it start in my eye. I actually can't believe he felt well enough, even for a little while, to manage games. It was the worst I have ever felt in my 35 years.

For me, it started in my right eye. The first day I had symptoms, I felt like someone had punched me in the eye. It wasn't too bad, more annoying than anything. The second day, the pain got intense. Every so often - could be every few seconds or every few minutes - it felt like someone was poking me in the back of the eye with a ballpoint pen. It was an intense surge of pain that made me stop in my tracks. It was debilitating. So I went to the doctor on a Friday, who diagnosed an infection. He was wrong.

After a day or two, the sharp pain gradually decreased in my eye, but started moving to the right side of my head. I developed gigantic, throbbing headaches that I couldn't alleviate. On a Monday (the symptoms started on Thursday), my wife took me back to the eye doctor because I couldn't drive myself. That was when shingles was diagnosed. The thing that made him sure were the sores that had appeared on my nose and around my eye, similar to La Russa's. I got medication and what-not, but it took a long time to get better. For four days straight, the intense, throbbing headaches continued without interruption. It was so bad, I couldn't sleep. So, I was in severe pain and sleep deprived for four days.

The crazy, please-put-me-in-a-coma pain subsided about a week after my symptoms first started, but I still had constant headaches, just not of the completely debilitating variety. In the meantime, the right side of my face looked like I had stuck it in a hornet's nest. My eye was almost swollen shut. One odd and terrible part of the pain was that my scalp was extremely sensitive. It literally hurt to touch my hair.

After two weeks, I could finally start to try to get back into a normal routine, though I was still limited. I was well enough to fly home for Thanksgiving, though I still had some sores on my face. I still have a few scars on my nose and above my eye.

So, while I hate the Cards, I have nothing but empathy for Mr. La Russa.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just saw that Kendry Morales will need season ending surgery to repair scar tissue in his ankle. The bone is healed but that injury has cost him 2 years now. I wonder if this increases the Angels interest in a certain free agent first baseman/DH rather than count on a guy who has missed 2 full years to be the everyday first baseman next year.

interesting that if this happened to Morales just three months earlier that we'd have a completely different team right now.

i guess it's one more team that will want Fielder come July, but i sure hope we're not in a position to trade him.

Verified Member
Jose Bautista:

.365/.525/.798/1.323

Why aren't more people talking about this?

Because it's just a dozen small samples strung back-to-back since the beginning of last year http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

Cleveland is up 19-1 on KC in the 7th. I guess they are this year's surprise team.

I still fully expect them to fall to around .500 at some point, that is not a good rotation at all and it seems the entire lineup is playing over their heads so far.

Watching the KC-Cleveland game last night was like watching a minor league Brewers' intersquad game a few years ago...

LaPorta, Brantley, Jeffress, Escobar...

Cleveland reminds me of the 07 Brewers, who got off to that great surprise early season start only to realize that their pitching wasn't that good, and ended the season at 0.500 after falling on their face during the summer months when contending teams start showing their true colors. I remember all the posts about how they only had to maintain a 0.510 winning percentage or whatever to get to 90 wins and take the division easily after May that season - didn't happen.

This is pretty cool of Brandon Phillips;

In what may well represent the pinnacle of modern technological achievement, the 14-year-old Cincinnati Flames third baseman (@cecholzz) was able to lure Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips(notes) (@datdudebp) to his U-14 select team game last week by issuing a simple suggestion over Twitter ...

"@DatDudeBP should really come watch the 14u Cincy flames in West Chester tonight"

... and then by providing some directions after Phillips showed some initial interest (he had been eating at a nearby restaurant when he received Echols' tweet).

A few hours and many autographs later, Echols was the most popular kid in the eighth grade and Phillips had increased his reputation around Cincinnati as one of the fan-friendliest players in the bigs.

Full Story

Archived