Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19

Well since no one else will say it, I will... Escobar was wasted... on the bench, he only started 134 games last season which is basically like playing a MiLB schedule. I personally believe that nothing is more important to a young player than building confidence, and that's why I thought Macha had to go. You can't play the "production" card on young players, they need to have room to fail, recover, and grow. Every time Escobar slumped at all he was sat down... I know from experience having played for a basketball coach that took us out if we missed a shot, you end up playing not to fail, instead of to succeed. In my case I passed up tons of open shots because I wanted to stay on the floor and wasn't going to risk mising a wide open 3. In baseball when the odds are stacked heavily against you to begin with, I don't know how you can succeed always worried about what's going to happen if you don't get a hit.

Look at Sam Shields... he was up and down all season and in different parts of each game for that matter, but he managed to make some impact plays at key moments in certain playoff games for the Packers because they believed in his ability even though he was inconsistent. They had other options, they could have went back to a veteran like Harris which would have been the "safe" move, but they cut him and kept the younger more dynamic player. Escobar didn't look like the same player to me in 2010 as he did in 2009, he didn't have any kind of swagger about him. Yea yea I know it's not measurable, but I still believe that reading body language can tell you as much about what is going on as someone's stats do.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

134 games is about standard for a rookie player, they should pretty much never play every day unless you are in the middle of a title race. 552 PA is plenty for a rookie player.

I had a lot of issues with Macha but not playing Escobar enough certainly wasn't one of them.

NL shortstops games started 2011:

1 Stephen Drew ARI 143

2 Hanley Ramirez FLA 140

3 Ian Desmond WSH 136

4 Alcides Escobar MIL 134

NL shortstops innings played 2011:

1 Stephen Drew ARI 1260

2 Hanley Ramirez FLA 1217

3 Ian Desmond WSH 1208

4 Jose Reyes NYM 1171

5 Alcides Escobar MIL 1151

In other news, the Cubs just put 40% of their starting rotation on the DL. Wells and Cashner to the 15-day DL, to be shut down for 10-14 days and then evaluated. I hate to see guys get injured, but this helps the Brewers immensely, and if anyone's going to suffer injuries, it might as well be Chicago.

As tough as the start of this season has been for Brewers fans, the Red Sox are now 0-6. They just got swept by the Indians who beat them today 1-0 (scoring on a squeeze play in the 8th). How fantastic!

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Community Moderator
That's Marlins bad.
I think you meant "That's Expos bad" or "That's pre-Jacobs field Cleveland bad". In fact, Cleveland was already 30th in attendance last year, averaging 17,000/game. They will almost certainly be last in attendance again this year, probably in the 14,000-16,000/game range. The Marlins average in the 18,000-19,000 range but will likely be over 30,000/game next year with the new retractable roof ballpark opening.

Doubtful, the FSN TV Listings don't list the game as airing on the alternate channel. If you notice, next Wednesday's game, which is also on WMLW because of the Bucks, is listed as airing on the alternate. Why they aired two games on the alternate but not the other two I have no idea.

Edit: never mind. I figured out the Nasty Factor.

For your viewing pleasure: I just purchased gameday audio for the first time, and it's much more enjoyable listening to the Spanish broadcast of Yankees games than that shrill, terrible woman on the Yankees English broadcast, and I barely speak any Spanish.

Thanks for the info. Seems backwards to me though. The only time some teams get large weekday crowds early in the season is opening day. Seems like a wasted opportunity to have an extra big attendance day by opening on a day that would have already had a big crowd.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived