Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems about like Pleasac nightly, IMO. Personally, as much as Pleasac can be a bit obnoxious on MLB Tonight, I like him being on the network. It's always clear he loves baseball and he loves what he's doing. The fact that he's a huge Brewers homer doesn't hurt either I suppose.

This might end up being one of the most boring pennet chases in MLB history. Not much to play for besides seedings (hopefully) which could ultimately be a driving force to add another wildcard team.

While it is nice to know that it's a lock that the Brewers will be in the playoffs this year, St. Louis tailing off so much has taken some of that nervous tension out of watching these Brewer games for me. That 2008 playoff run was more fun to watch for me because each game in September felt so intense knowing that each win or loss had serious impact on making the playoffs.

I'm not saying at all that it's no fun to watch this current Brewers team be so dominant since the start of August, it's been great fun and we still have to stay ahead of Arizona for home field in the first round. There is just something special though about following a team in a heated chase for a playoff berth all through Sptember as each game feels so incredibly important.

I'd rather have it be easy and non-nerve wracking, but yeah, I get where you're coming from. There's nothing more fun than winning a huge game at the end of the season. I just hate all the nail biting leading up to it.

While there isn't a whole lot of tension in the games now, it does give a lot more time for anticipating the playoffs both for the fans and the players. In 08, I don't think the team was quite emotionally ready to start the playoffs so soon after the drama of the season end. To an extent the same thing happened in 82, after Baltimore forced them to a final game clinching. But they recovered in time that year.

While there isn't a whole lot of tension in the games now, it does give a lot more time for anticipating the playoffs both for the fans and the players. In 08, I don't think the team was quite emotionally ready to start the playoffs so soon after the drama of the season end. To an extent the same thing happened in 82, after Baltimore forced them to a final game clinching. But they recovered in time that year.
Another big difference is that by the time the '08 team reached the final game of the season, they seemed like they were running on fumes. We were riding on Sabathia's back, and most of the offense seemed to be in a funk. I do not think that will happen again this year. I'm anticipating the Brewers reaching the playoffs ready to plan and looking to win. Much different atmosphere than three years ago.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
I would be worried if the Brewers clinched early and their opponent didn't. But all 4 NL teams already have it wrapped up at this juncture, so that will not be an issue. The Brewers/D'Backs have the only race of interest--it is important--but not enough to really be dramatic or prevent the Brewers from emptying the bench more after they clinch next week/weekend.

Furcal's career line is .282/.348/.407

In 22 games against teams not named the Brewers as a Cardinal, he's .202/.253/.288.

In 11 games against the Brewers as a Cardinal, he's .289/.353/.578. Only an uptick in Slg compared to career norms, which isn't significant in 11 games. He's hit an extra HR and 2B over a "normal rate". He has not "killed the Brewers" like our eyeballs believe he has.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Looks like your boy Bud Selig is blackmailing Houston.

REPORT: MLB WANTS ASTROS IN THE AL

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has asked prospective Houston Astros

buyer Jim Crane to agree to move the team to the American League if he

is approved as onwer, according to Fox 26 Sports in Houston.

Major League Baseball sources told the station that the fact that

Crane has yet to agree to the request has kept him from being approved

as owner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looks like your boy Bud Selig is blackmailing Houston.

REPORT: MLB WANTS ASTROS IN THE AL

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has asked prospective Houston Astros

buyer Jim Crane to agree to move the team to the American League if he

is approved as onwer, according to Fox 26 Sports in Houston.

Major League Baseball sources told the station that the fact that

Crane has yet to agree to the request has kept him from being approved

as owner.

Considering how bad Houston will be the next few years, i will miss them if they get shipped to the AL.

They are, however, the logical choice to move the AL West.

Phenomenal Smith wrote:

The logical choice is a team that doesn't have a 50 year history in the NL - like Arizona or Milwaukee.

Yeah, it makes a ton of sense to put Milwaukee in a division where their division "rivals" would be in Dallas, Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim. Arizona is a problem too. Arizona moves to the AL West, then Houston is going to move to the NL West. I'm sure the Astros would rather play in the AL West with Texas as a close rival.

I can hardly imagine being a Rangers fan, it would really suck having 1/3 of your teams games starting at 9pm local time.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Baldkin wrote:

I can hardly imagine being a Rangers fan, it would really suck having 1/3 of your teams games starting at 9pm local time.

Yes it sucks but it's part of the Mountain Time Zone being so under populated. It's the same in every sport. The only one it doesn't really effect too bad is the NFL because while St. Louis plays in a division with San Francisco, Arizona and Seattle, they only play once a week, games are played in the afternoon or a specific time at night that is reasonable for every team.

NBA has Oklahoma City and Minnesota playing in a division with Denver, Utah and Portland. Those teams plus Memphis, New Orleans and the three Texas teams are in the Western Conference. The NHL has Minnesota in a division with Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Dallas is in the same division as Phoenix, San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles. One Western Conference division is made up of Nashville, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis.

It sucks but what are you going to do? You can't just put teams where there aren't enough people to support them.

Archived