Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19
Hopefully Saturday would be an afternoon game, Wisconsin/Nebraska is that night.

Yup........that's what I was thinking.

I was also thinking that my wife is due that day. Could be a pretty busy one. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully Saturday would be an afternoon game, Wisconsin/Nebraska is that night.

I was also thinking that my wife is due that day. Could be a pretty busy one. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

You should name your kid #3 Priority

Of course this is the night my high school class decided to have our 20 year reunion, and me with potentially tickets to both sporting events. I skipped our 15 year reunion for a Badger night game but I knew for some reason they would pick 10/01/11 for this year once I saw the football schedule. All because it is homecoming weekend at the high school as if we really need to have the reunion then, don't organizers ever look at Badger football schedules when setting things like this up in the Madison area?

At the risk of continuing to put the cart way before the horse...if I recall correctly, in 2008, Wisconsin sports fans had to choose between NLDS game 3 and a UW night game (I want to say OSU, knowing that someone here will correct me if needed. It was the band-less game). I remember seeing a ton of eastbound traffic on I-94 as we drove home from the NLDS game.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
At the risk of continuing to put the cart way before the horse...if I recall correctly, in 2008, Wisconsin sports fans had to choose between NLDS game 3 and a UW night game (I want to say OSU, knowing that someone here will correct me if needed. It was the band-less game). I remember seeing a ton of eastbound traffic on I-94 as we drove home from the NLDS game.
Yep I chose NLDS Game 3. Gave my OSU ticket away for face value to a friend. Made it to my parents house in Greenfield just in time to see them lose the game on TV. Didn't care one bit because I was still pumped about the baseball game. Then, they had to drive me back to Madison. When we got to Madison there was traffic everywhere. They had a lane closed on I-94 that night for some stupid reason. It took them about 2 1/2 hours to get back to Milwaukee.

I have vowed to fly back to Wisconsin this year from Miami if the Brewers make it past the NLDS. Will only get to go back once, so will have to decide when to go. Would also consider driving to Atlanta for the NLCS if they make it.

Does anybody know if it has been reported if the NLDS begins on Fri Sept 30 or Sat Oct 1st?
I was just researching this same thing as I'm planning something for the night of the 30th -- I didn't find anything too concrete. I found that ESPN's MLB calendar of important dates shows playoffs starting Sep 30 / Oct 1. On the official MLB site, their calendar of important dates just shows a vague "October - Playoffs". Every team is done on the 28th unless there are important makeups or 1-game playoffs ... by looking at years past, even when there's been special 1-gamers, it looks pretty normal for the playoff schedule to kick off just two days later ... aka, the 30th.

My guess is that two or three series will start on the 30th and one or two will start on the 1st. I'm scheduling my thing for the 30th anyways, hoping that if the Brewers make the playoffs and if they have home field, that the series will start on the 1st. Or at the very least, that the 30th won't be my one and only chance to see them in person in October this year.

Yeah Matt, no doubt. I am actually going to be leading some training classes in IA on the Oct. 3rd and was trying to gauge whether games 1&2 would likely be Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I thought something might be more definitive with the moving up of the schedule, but I can't find anything out there. Going with past history, I'm gonna presume Fri/Sat with only one off day. IIRC, the team with the best record (Phillies now and prob at the end of the season), get to choose if they want to start their series on Fri or Sat and in the past teams have chosen Sat as it is easier to set up the rotation.

Apparently we weren't the only ones thinking about it. Jayson Stark a few minutes ago via his twitter:

jaysonst Jayson Stark

MLB releases 2011 postseason schedule. One big change: No more series with 3 off days. Both ALDS start Fri 9/30. Both NLDS start Sat 10/1

They also had to choose between NLDS game 4 and Packers-Falcons in Lambeau the next day.

Interestingly, the Packers are scheduled to be in Atlanta on October 9th, for a Sunday night game. What are the odds the Brewers would be there that afternoon facing the Braves in an NLCS game assuming, a. they don't meet each other in round 1, and b. they both survive round 1.

Does anyone remember a time the Brewers had this fresh of a bullpen in August? Last week they gave a game to Dillard just to give him some work. Their most used reliever could be used in 50% of the games the rest of the way and still not break the 80 game mark. There really isn't a single guy who is wore out at this point. I can't remember that happening very often.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Does anyone remember a time the Brewers had this fresh of a bullpen in August? Last week they gave a game to Dillard just to give him some work. Their most used reliever could be used in 50% of the games the rest of the way and still not break the 80 game mark. There really isn't a single guy who is wore out at this point. I can't remember that happening very often.

That is what Melvin said he reason was for getting KRod. He said he wanted a bullpen that was fresh in September not one that was wearing down. He has give Ron a great group of arms to work with with Saito, Hawkins, KRod and Axford and even a guy like Loe who when used right is really effective.

They also had to choose between NLDS game 4 and Packers-Falcons in Lambeau the next day.

Interestingly, the Packers are scheduled to be in Atlanta on October 9th, for a Sunday night game. What are the odds the Brewers would be there that afternoon facing the Braves in an NLCS game assuming, a. they don't meet each other in round 1, and b. they both survive round 1.

In my opinion, not very good. And I've done the scenarios because being a FL resident, I'll be going if they matchup at any point and the Packers/Falcons game is on my radar. The NLCS starts on Sun Oct. 9th. Unless Atlanta trumps the Phillies for the division title, there's no way they could get game#1 of the NLCS as a wild card. At earliest, game #3 of the NLCS would be in Atlanta on Wed the 12th. On the other side of that weekend, the latest a game #4 in Atlanta for the NLDS would be Wed Aug 5th. I don't see the ability to pull off a double dip of sports in Atlanta unless you stay a couple of "dead days".

I don't think this has been posted here yet, apologies if it has:

San Francisco is hosting Star Wars Day on an upcoming Sunday home game. The giveaway seems to be Brian Wilson in carbonite. I have to know whose idea this was.

http://i.imgur.com/4nNMj.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I finally found the link to the MLB predictions for the ESPN staff. I was trying to remember who picked the Astros to win the division, Steve Berthiaume was the guy. I remember thinking he was crazy at the time but wow, talk about being off. The Reds were the overwhelming choice but the Cubs managed to get at least 2 picks, Gene Wojciechowski and Jon Sciambi.

http://sports.espn.go.com...story?page=11expertpicks

Not only that, but he had the Phillies missing the playoffs altogether.

BUC, that's either scary or hilarious.

Out of all qualified batters, Adam Dunn has the second lowest slugging percentage. He is currently slugging .296. That's lower than Zack Greinke. If you would have told me Zack Greinke would outslug Adam Dunn by 50 points, I would have been pretty excited about McGehee.

Was at the game today and while there I noticed something weird. On one of those black advertisement tvs, I noticed a thing showing the Brewers top prospects. They were Wily Peralta, Cody Scarpetta, Kyle Heckathorn, and Jake Odorizzi. Can't blame them really, I mean its only been 8 months since that trade.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived