Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion

brewers19
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to two people with knowledge of the events, Rodriguez spoke with Manager Terry Collins in the weeks before he was dealt to Milwaukee, a day after not being brought in to close a game in a nonsave situation. Rodriguez had warmed up and expected to enter the game. He was upset by the implication that the Mets had not used him that day to avoid his finishing 55 games this season, which would have activated the option. He finished 34 games before being traded to Milwaukee on July 12, and has not finished any games for the Brewers.

Rodriguez told Collins during their discussion that he wanted to get rid of the option, so any decisions on how the Mets used him would be related strictly to baseball.

I agree, interesting insight into the K-Rod situation with the Mets. Thanks for linking that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

1) That was cool.

2) I wore glasses when I played - I like that guy.

3) I'm wondering if for some players, it's just easier to slow down and stop by sliding rather than putting on the brakes standing up. Never really thought about it before.

4) Didn't the Cards players do some mustache thing when he was on the team? I do remember his 'stache was awesome, especially because it totally didn't fit him at all. I seem to recall Holliday sporting one at one point.

yeah, I saw that video last night. It was just awesome.

I also loved the Ichiro look-a-like in the stands that got ejected from the ballpark after interfering with the ball while it was in play. Took away a possible triple from Dustin Ackley (although they eventually gave him third base anyways.)

Here's the story and video in case you missed it. story and video

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't know if anyone watches MLB Network constantly on weeknights like I do, but boy do I hate Jerry Manuel. He is like putting Davey Nelson on the MLB Network. He can't speak well, and when he does he rambles on and on and interrupts the entire flow of the show, interrupting the other guys and not knowing when to talk and when not to. He's ruining my MLB Network experience. He's been on a lot the last week or so, not sure if he was just a "once in awhile" guy before that or if he's totally new, but I hope it doesn't last long.

I don't know if anyone watches MLB Network constantly on weeknights like I do, but boy do I hate Jerry Manuel. He is like putting Davey Nelson on the MLB Network. He can't speak well, and when he does he rambles on and on and interrupts the entire flow of the show, interrupting the other guys and not knowing when to talk and when not to. He's ruining my MLB Network experience. He's been on a lot the last week or so, not sure if he was just a "once in awhile" guy before that or if he's totally new, but I hope it doesn't last long.
I actually found Manuel pretty entertaining. It's Harold Reynolds who I can't stand. He's the ultimate "I played the game at the highest level, so I know what's right," when he's almost always wrong. Manuel was kind of funny to me.

I finally found the link to the MLB predictions for the ESPN staff. I was trying to remember who picked the Astros to win the division, Steve Berthiaume was the guy. I remember thinking he was crazy at the time but wow, talk about being off. The Reds were the overwhelming choice but the Cubs managed to get at least 2 picks, Gene Wojciechowski and Jon Sciambi.

http://sports.espn.go.com...story?page=11expertpicks

Typical Richard Justice post. Unfunny jokes combined with predictions that if they are right he'll call himself a genius and if wrong say hey can't you see I was making a joke?

How can he be wrong with that post? They might win 90 or they might lose 100. Way to go out on a limb there.

In another example of foreign players that dont live up to their hype Tsuyoshi Nishioka of the Twins was finally (mercifully) benched. He signed a 3 year deal for 10 million in the offense after the Twins submitted a 5 million dollar bid to his Japanese team. His fielding has been terrible and his OPS is a robust .498. I know he was hurt but he has been back a while now and looks completely lost at the plate and in the field. He is another reason I would be worried if the Brewers got into a bidding war for a foreign player

According to Tim Kurkjian, Stephen Strasburg's recovery from Tommy John surgery is remarkable.
He's making his first rehab start today. Should be a fun game to watch.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

He's making his first rehab start today. Should be a fun game to watch.

Yeah, I understand why they covered it, it just thought it was unnecessary of Kurkjian to call it remarkable. How many pitchers get TJ surgery? How many times has Kurkjian gone on ESPN and called it remarkable that the pitcher came back?

The Baltimore Oriole were a "respectable" 35-40 in late June. Since then it's been a 9-27 free fall, down to 44-67.

They haven't won a series against an AL team since sweeping the A's June 6-8th.

44 of their remaining 51 games are against teams with winning records: lots against AL East teams of course, but also 7 against the Tigers and 6 against the Angels.

They have 7 games remaining against losing teams, 4 on the road against Minnesota, 3 in Oakland. Their road win pct this year is .315.

It must be the toughest remaining schedule in all of MLB. The ugliness of their finish could be epic.

Does anybody know if it has been reported if the NLDS begins on Fri Sept 30 or Sat Oct 1st?
I was just researching this same thing as I'm planning something for the night of the 30th -- I didn't find anything too concrete. I found that ESPN's MLB calendar of important dates shows playoffs starting Sep 30 / Oct 1. On the official MLB site, their calendar of important dates just shows a vague "October - Playoffs". Every team is done on the 28th unless there are important makeups or 1-game playoffs ... by looking at years past, even when there's been special 1-gamers, it looks pretty normal for the playoff schedule to kick off just two days later ... aka, the 30th.

My guess is that two or three series will start on the 30th and one or two will start on the 1st. I'm scheduling my thing for the 30th anyways, hoping that if the Brewers make the playoffs and if they have home field, that the series will start on the 1st. Or at the very least, that the 30th won't be my one and only chance to see them in person in October this year.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

[quote author=valpocrewsader wrote:

[/b]I was just researching this same thing as I'm planning something for the night of the 30th -- I didn't find anything too concrete. I found that ESPN's MLB calendar of important dates shows playoffs starting Sep 30 / Oct 1. On the official MLB site, their calendar of important dates just shows a vague "October - Playoffs". Every team is done on the 28th unless there are important makeups or 1-game playoffs ... by looking at years past, even when there's been special 1-gamers, it looks pretty normal for the playoff schedule to kick off just two days later ... aka, the 30th.

My guess is that two or three series will start on the 30th and one or two will start on the 1st. I'm scheduling my thing for the 30th anyways, hoping that if the Brewers make the playoffs and if they have home field, that the series will start on the 1st. Or at the very least, that the 30th won't be my one and only chance to see them in person in October this year.

my guess is that the Brewers would be an afternoon game again. Yankees or Redsox will definitely be a prime time game on TBS (I think they have the ALDS this year), whereas the Phillies or Giants (if they make it) would also be on in the evening on FOX.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

chuckiehacks]Hopefully Saturday would be an afternoon game, Wisconsin/Nebraska is that night.
I was just pondering how mind-blowingly epic a sports day in the state of Wisconsin could get - and that would certainly be an example. You could make it a mind-blowingly epic weekend with the Packers at Lambeau on Sunday.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived