Brewer Fanatic

Final minor league roster projections are up!

And That
Since it is a few days before the affiliate rosters will be announced, I'm going to refresh my minor league roster projections one more time tonight. These will be a lot more accurate than they were a few months ago, but I have little inside knowledge of what the Brewers are going to do with anyone, so the projections won't be spot on. Check back in this space sometime after dinner tonight to get my final take on where our minor leaguers will be headed to start out 2011.

Milwaukee

Starting Catcher W. Nieves
Backup Catcher G. Kottaras

Starting First Baseman P. Fielder

Starting Second Baseman R. Weeks
Backup Infielder C. Counsell

Starting Third Baseman C. McGehee

Starting Shortstop Y. Betancourt
Backup Utility
E. Almonte
Starting Left Fielder R. Braun

Starting Center Fielder C. Gomez
Backup Outfielder N. Morgan

Starting Right Fielder M. Kotsay
Backup Outfielder J. Reed

Starting Pitcher #1 Y. Gallardo
Long Relief S. Mitre

Starting Pitcher #2 S. Marcum
Middle Relief #1 K. Loe
Starting Pitcher #3 R. Wolf
Middle Relief #2 Z. Braddock

Starting Pitcher #4 C. Narveson
Middle Relief #3 B. Kintzler
Closer J. Axford
Middle Relief #4 S. Green

Righthanded Setup T. Saito

Lefthanded Setup M. Stetter

Nashville

Starting Catcher M. Maldonado
Backup Catcher M. Rivera

Starting First Baseman M. Gamel

Starting Second Baseman E. Farris
Backup Infielder A. Machado
Starting Third Baseman Z. Wheeler

Starting Shortstop E. Maysonet
Backup Utility
T. Green

Starting Left Fielder B. Boggs

Starting Center Fielder C. Gindl
Backup Outfielder B. Carroll

Starting Right Fielder B. Katin

Starting Pitcher #1 M. Rogers
Long Relief S. Narron
Starting Pitcher #2 A. Rivas
Middle Relief #1 M. McClendon
Starting Pitcher #3 T. Dillard
Middle Relief #2 Z. Segovia
Starting Pitcher #4 J. Butler
Middle Relief #3 M. Fiers
Starting Pitcher #5 C. Wright
Righthanded Setup M. DiFelice
Closer J. James
Lefthanded Setup E. de la Cruz

Huntsville

Starting Catcher A. de la Rosa
Backup Catcher D. Buller

Starting First Baseman S. Wilson

Starting Second Baseman M. Cline
Backup Infielder Y. Ortiz

Starting Third Baseman H. Morris

Starting Shortstop S. Miranda
Backup Utility
J. Sanchez

Starting Left Fielder L. Haydel

Starting Center Fielder E. Komatsu
DH/Backup Outfielder C. Nowak

Starting Right Fielder B. Jones

Starting Pitcher #1 W. Peralta
Long Relief J. Henderson
Starting Pitcher #2 D. Merklinger
Middle Relief #1 D. Hand
Starting Pitcher #3 C. Scarpetta
Middle Relief #2 R. Mercedes

Starting Pitcher #4 Je. Sanchez
Middle Relief #3 D. Meadows

Starting Pitcher #5 M. Bowman
Setup #1 R. Hinton

Closer R. Wooten
Setup #2 L. Luetge

Brevard County

Starting Catcher C. Garfield
Backup Catcher S. Zarraga

Starting First Baseman C. Dennis
DH/Backup 1B
S. Halton

Starting Second Baseman S. Gennett

Starting Third Baseman M. Brownstein

Starting Shortstop J. Prince
Backup Utility
K. Dhanani

Starting Left Fielder Kh. Davis
Backup Utility
M. Roberts

Starting Center Fielder Ke. Davis

Starting Right Fielder B. Kjeldgaard
Backup Outfielder S. Krieger

Starting Pitcher #1 K. Heckathorn
Long Relief/Piggyback D. Howell

Starting Pitcher #2 E. Anundsen
Long Relief/Piggyback R. Seidel

Starting Pitcher #3 N. Bucci
Middle Relief #1 A. Rosario

Starting Pitcher #4 M. Lasker
Middle Relief #2 M. Willinsky

Starting Pitcher #5 H. Burgos
Setup #1 T. Watten

Closer D. Byrd
Setup #2 J. Pokorny

Wisconsin

Starting Catcher R. Neda
Backup Catcher B. Dean

Starting First Baseman C. Hawn

Starting Second Baseman S. Vucinich

Starting Third Baseman G. Hopkins
DH/Backup Utility
M. Walker

Starting Shortstop C. George
Backup Utility
J. Paciorek

Starting Left Fielder J. Dishon

Starting Center Fielder C. Stang
Backup Outfielder R. Keen

Starting Right Fielder F. Romero
Backup Outfielder R. Garvey

Starting Pitcher #1 T. Thornburg
Long Relief/Piggyback T. Cravy

Starting Pitcher #2 E. Arnett
Long Relief D. Krestalude

Starting Pitcher #3 M. Miller
Middle Relief #1 G. Holle

Starting Pitcher #4 J. Nelson
Middle Relief #2 C. Bashara

Starting Pitcher #5 A. Ross
Setup #1 E. Marzec

Closer B. Garman
Setup #2 E. Nieves

Sorry for the formatting on that, and that.

The Milwaukee roster is what it is. If someone asks me why I don't have Greinke listed as a starter, you owe me $5.

I'm not sure if Caleb Gindl is going to be ready to go by Nashville's opening day or not. If not, Brandon Jones or Chuckie Caufield wind up with the Sounds, with Carroll starting in CF. If Gindl is ready, he'll play CF and Jones and/or Caufield will probably end up in AA and/or the "DL". I'm also assuming Riggans (still recovering from pneumonia) and Arlis (because he's always stashed there) will start on the DL, too.

Milwaukee seems to like Frankie de la Cruz as a starter. I think they're nuts, and that he should be a relief pitcher, but he may wind up in the Sounds rotation. Speaking of the Sounds rotation, I'm assuming that Estrada will be Milwaukee's 5th starter on 4/6 and will be stashed on Helena's roster until then. And Mark Rogers' innings/pitch counts will be limited, so Sam Narron or Chase Wright may turn out to be pseudo-piggyback starters with Mark.

Hand could beat out Fiers for that last bullpen spot in Nashville. Others have an outside chance, too.

Huntsville has an interesting situation if Nowak, Wilson and Morris all make the roster. All three are 1B with the ability to kind-of play 3B and the corner OF. Not sure how playing time is going to work our between the three. And if Sean Halton makes the Huntsville roster too, um... it's always possible one of those guys ends up in Nashville somehow.

More in a minute...

As Jim has noted in the minor league spring training notes thread, the following pitchers haven't pitched in a spring game (that we know of) and therefore I assume that they will not be available to break camp with an affiliated club: Alex Periard, Brae Wright, Andre Lamontagne, Mike Ramlow and Corey Frerichs.

I don't have the following position players assigned: Sean McCraw (has not played), Logan Schafer (thumb injury - should be back in May), Mikey Marseco (has not played) and most notably, D'Vontrey Richardson. Richardson hasn't played since early in spring training. I would assume he's injured, but we don't know to what degree. Since he's not playing, I'm not going to project him.

It wouldn't shock me to see Josh Prince break with Huntsville, but I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

The Brewers have a lot of talented relievers from top to bottom in the minors. I reserve the right to look dumb about where they might end up. Some of them are bound to start the year on the DL, too. There's just more relievers than spots right now. I would think it likely that either Byrd or Watten are in AA, that Pokorny is closing in Brevard and there's another lefty reliever with him in the Manatees' bullpen. It's too fluid to get a handle on, but I think I have large chunks of the bullpens right.

I'm closer to certain about the A+ and A rotations, unless they decide to hold Lasker or Bucci back for another year in Wisconsin. They're both young. It's possible.

Cameron Garfield looks to have won a spot over Rafael Neda if I'm reading my tea leaves correctly. Somewhat surprising to me, and I wouldn't be surprised to see those two flipped at some point. There's also a chance Zarraga goes to AA.

Thornburg will have a piggyback partner. My guess is that it will be Cravy, but Holle, Wawrzasek or a host of other dudes are possibilities also. The rest of the Wisconsin rotation will be straight - no piggybacks.

If the Brewers elect to not go with 5 OFs in Wisconsin, I could see Jason Rogers or T.J. Mittelstaedt making the club instead of Garvey or Romero or Dishon.

If you think I've missed anything, let me know. I probably won't get back to you until tomorrow.

Cheers!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Technically, this could kick off our "Your 2011 Brevard County Manatees" thread, but we'll place it here:

Ex-Grissom, Auburn star Hunter Morris to begin season at Class A Brevard County

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times al.com

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- The hopes for a hometown player to begin the 2011 season with the Huntsville Stars ended Wednesday when Hunter Morris was assigned to the Milwaukee Brewers' Class A Brevard County team.

Morris, a former Grissom High star and an All-SEC player at Auburn, will be in line for a likely promotion to Huntsville by mid-season, if not earlier, depending upon performance and need.

He was the Brewers' fourth-round draft pick last year and is considered one of the Brewers' top prospects. However, he had only 71 games' pro experience last summer at a low-level Class A league, and a leap all the way to Class AA would have been almost unprecedented in the current Milwaukee system. Conventional wisdom is that the transition to Class AA ball is the most difficult in pro ball.

"You've got to build on the positive, not on the negative, and give the player the opportunity to have success and move on," said Stars manager Mike Guerrero via phone from Maryvale, Ariz., the Stars' spring training headquarters.

"You perform better when you feel good about yourself, and when you have success your mind works in a different way and your attitude is different. So every player that is having a good season, if you put them in a spot to have success, they grow and they have that swagger and they feel good about themselves. That's something I think he'll benefit from. He'll grow into it and we'll go from there."

Morris batted .251 with nine homers and 44 RBI in 291 at-bats at Wisconsin, making the difficult transition from college and aluminum bats to the wooden bats of pro ball.

His value has increased with his versatility, working at both third base and first base in spring training.

Morris was selected by the Brewers' to play in the Arizona Fall League, for fast-track prospects, and had five at-bats with Milwaukee in Cactus League games.

Guerrero will reveal his entire roster Thursday. One temporary addition will be catcher Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers' catcher who began last season with the Stars before moving to the majors. He suffered a broken finger in spring training and will be rehabbing with the Stars in their season-opening series at Jacksonville that begins next Thursday.

The Stars will travel to Brevard County next Monday, playing an exhibition game against the Class A club and working out at that facility before going to Jacksonville. The home opener is April 13 against Carolina.

Hunter Morris, in file photo from his All-SEC days at Auburn

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/9436208-large.jpg

Ditto.

Every roster has some interesting player combinations that will be fun to watch. I can hardly wait until they start. There is a prospect-vacuum and some of these guys will step up and demand more serious consideration.

Thanks for the great work, Toby.

Wow, Morris steps up when Lawrie declines invite to fall league, does well, really does well in ST and this is how the club treats him? No wonder this club has issues. Q: What kind of message does this send to the player. A: A bad one !!!!!!

Wow, Morris steps up when Lawrie declines invite to fall league, does well, really does well in ST and this is how the club treats him? No wonder this club has issues. Q: What kind of message does this send to the player. A: A bad one !!!!!!

I don't see this as a big deal. He didn't exactly dominate low A. If he proves to be a force, they can just move him up.

Besides, nothing is official yet.

Nothing wrong with this movea player should never be pissed about club not skipping a full level after only 70 pro games. Let him start to roll then promote. There is no need to rush him so quick.

I think the way Lintz pitched this spring in the bullpen, he may have finally made it out of rookie ball.....hopefully or he may have a similar fate as the rest of the 08 class

Seeing that Morris was assigned to Brevard, I have to believe this means Sean Halton will be at Huntsville, not Brevard. There's no way Halton should be behind Wilson who hit just .201/.270/.340 last year, nor do a I see a need for Halton to repeat a level.

No wonder this club has issues.

Yeah, all those issues we're always hearing about.

So, why stop now with Hunter?

Morris is likely to start at the same level as Kentrail Davis, another college bat drafted higher than Hunter. Can you explain more where you've seen this so-called unwritten rule on display? Morris has a grand total of 314 professional PAs, and the mid-levels of the Brewers' system are pretty full with 1B or 1B/3B types.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No wonder this club has issues.

Yeah, all those issues we're always hearing about.

So, why stop now with Hunter?

Morris is likely to start at the same level as Kentrail Davis, another college bat drafted higher than Hunter. Can you explain more where you've seen this so-called unwritten rule on display? Morris has a grand total of 314 professional PAs, and the mid-levels of the Brewers' system are pretty full with 1B or 1B/3B types.

Agreed. I see this as sending only the messege of, hey we want you to go to BC get the bat going, build up the confidence and when we feel you are ready we will get you up to Huntsville. Hunter only hit .251 with an OPB of .306 in A ball. He had pretty solid power numbers but nothing that screams PROMOTE PROMOTE! What messege are you sending when you skip players for average performance and make the other players earn that promotion? I think that is far worse. I would also like you to also show me thin track record of Brewers skipping college hitters levels... It doesn't occur that often and a high school guy like Lawrie are just as likely. We were not at Spring training coaching and seeing how he is doing every second so no way anyone can sit here and say he got screwed cause maybe he didnt have a great spring or they want him to work on something a little more. When Morris earns a promotion he will get it, no need to rush his development just because he went to college....

Morris would be still in A ball if he wasn't such a high pick. He should have dominated that level, and he got out 70% of the time.

And yes, it's a fact top picks and uber-prospects like Lawrie get pushed faster, due to the money invested in them. Organizational soldiers and roster filler have to prove themselves more. Life ain't fair, but if you're good enough, you'll make it. There's 30 teams out there, one will find you.

Archived