Brewer Fanatic

Bill Michaels out, Trenni in

MarquesJohnson2000

Awesome. I never cared much for Michaels, and Trenni has shown she cares about local sports and does a good job. Nice move for WTMJ.

I wouldn't go that far. I hear her a lot on the D-List and all she pretty much does is state very obvious opinions which require very little thought or analysis. If what i've heard of her on the D-List is how she'll be on her own show, i won't waste my time listening.

The most photogenic person covering the Brewers (and, I assume, Badgers & Packers) is the person on the radio.

(I'm not in the Trenni adoration society personally, but I don't begrudge the membership.)

For her sake, I hope it's a step-up in pay over her FSN/MLB work; either way, I wish her the best.

Awesome. I never cared much for Michaels, and Trenni has shown she cares about local sports and does a good job. Nice move for WTMJ.

I wouldn't go that far. I hear her a lot on the D-List and all she pretty much does is state very obvious opinions which require very little thought or analysis. If what i've heard of her on the D-List is how she'll be on her own show, i won't waste my time listening.

I agree. She is brutal on the D-List. I don't understand the Trenni appeal. I think the only reason she has a job is because some think she is attractive which is unfortunate because I'm sure there are numerous other men and women whom would do a much better job.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I think the only reason she has a job is because some think she is attractive which is unfortunate because I'm sure there are numerous other men and women whom would do a much better job.

While I won't sit here & rally for her in-depth knowledge of baseball from top to bottom, I think this sentiment is a disservice to her. She's very articulate & rarely stumbled on her words on-camera with the Brewers. She was well-informed about the team & delivered information I found useful on the whole. For a sideline reporter, a position I normally find annoying, I thought Trenni did a fantastic job with the Crew. She brought a lot more than fluff (Brainerd comes to mind), and didn't misspeak as often as Telly does. Certainly her looks have helped her in terms of being on-camera talent, but frankly seeing her go after a radio gig doesn't surprise me. I've never gotten the impression that Trenni was about being eye candy; she certainly has quite a bit more substance than most of the attractive-female-sports-reporter crowd imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the only reason she has a job is because some think she is attractive which is unfortunate because I'm sure there are numerous other men and women whom would do a much better job.

While I won't sit here & rally for her in-depth knowledge of baseball from top to bottom, I think this sentiment is a disservice to her. She's very articulate & rarely stumbled on her words on-camera with the Brewers. She was well-informed about the team & delivered information I found useful on the whole. For a sideline reporter, a position I normally find annoying, I thought Trenni did a fantastic job with the Crew. She brought a lot more than fluff (Brainerd comes to mind), and didn't misspeak as often as Telly does. Certainly her looks have helped her in terms of being on-camera talent, but frankly seeing her go after a radio gig doesn't surprise me. I've never gotten the impression that Trenni was about being eye candy; she certainly has quite a bit more substance than most of the attractive-female-sports-reporter crowd imo.

I probably should have been more articulate. My apologies. She did a fine job as far as sideline reporters goes, and she is better than the majority of eye-candyish reporters. However, her performance on the D-List and other radio spots has been terrible. I think they could have found a better man or woman for the job.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Its WTMJ. Outside of their big programs they seem to think it doesn't matter. God their late night and weekend Sykes pity hires are just terrible. Their sports guys tend to at least be able to talk but never have any real insight.

I'd love to know what "national interest" he's been entertaining.
Have you listening to national talk shows? He's not much worse that the stuff out there. Cowherd? Most of the Fox Sports Radio guys. He could probably get a national gig. Not saying he'd be great. Or maybe The Good Feet Store is going national and he's their big spokesman!

While Trenni does a good job in her work with the brewers, she obviously wasn't good enough to keep her job at MLB network. And while Big Unit may not have been the best out there, I think she has shoes to fill here that is way over her head. Count me as never turning on 620 when she is on. There are other options out there and I think 620 needed to do better here. To the smaller stations I go.

My faith in the local sports talkers is pretty limited. I heard two local guys on TMJ this weekend doing a season preview segment, and they were unaware that Bobby Jenks is no longer on the White Sox. They were flipping through a magazine trying to pick division winners, etc.

Everyone makes a mistake once in awhile, so maybe you cut them some slack for that, but an even worse indictment is that they weren't even a little bit compelling. I'm not sure why they were on the air. I can't imagine ever having a time when I would sit in the car, not wanting to turn it off for fear that I'd miss something.

There's enough decent sports content on podcast that you don't need to listen to bad radio.

All I really care about is who they hire to take over the Packer post game. That's the only Michaels, or sports talk at all that I listen to, aside from Jason Wilde's stuff.
Yeah, the only time I ever really listened to Michaels was on the Packer post game on my way back from games. I did really enjoy that, but other than that didn't really care for him. I hope they get someone good to replace him for that.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

My opinion on Michaels is that he was pretty much only good for Packers coverage. His knowledge of the Bucks and Brewers seemed really limited, and I got the sense that he didn't really care that much about covering those teams. I found his personality rather blowhardish as well.

I am surprised by some of the comments regarding Trenni K. I have no idea what circumstances led to her departure from MLB Network, but saying "She obviously wasn't good enough at her job," is probably misinformed at best. I listen to the D-List quite a bit, and find that she knows quite a bit about the local teams, and seems to actually care about discussing them. She has some interesting stories from her sideline reporting days and isn't afraid to go off on someone when they deserve it. Is she the greatest on-air personality ever? Nope. But I think she'll do a good job on WTMJ. I agree with others that 540 and 1250 are better for sports coverage anyway.

Gregg Matzek also deserves the promotion he is getting. From what I've read about him, he's one of the hardest workers at WTMJ.

Edit: Actually, here are some comments from Kusnierek regarding her depature from MLB Network:

"It was kind of a mutual decision," Kusnierek said about leaving the MLB Network. "I was a reporter and they wanted someone more studio. I didn't really want to do that, so we decided to part ways."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I dont think Trenni is that bad, but that being said, I cant stand her personality. She is very full of herself which is a huge downer. Her sports knowledge, whether male or female, is just average and her insight is limited.

I didnt listen to WTMJ with Michaels on and Trenni wont get me to tune in either. The only thing I listen to is actual Badger/Brewer/Packer games.

I would completely discount how she was on the D-List. That is an awful show not because of her but because Olson in particular is an awful host who doesn't belong on radio. He's lazy. He lacks passion for what he is covering. It's almost if he takes pride in being cool and seeming not to care a whit. He doesn't bring out the best in the guys he has on. Why listen when the host doesn't care what he's talking about except when he's talking about food on Fridays? Making lists, the premise of the show is by itself a lazy radio trick.

Archived