Brewer Fanatic

Who plays SS for the Brewers in 2012?

RyDogg66

Nothing like wondering about the 2012 roster make-up before the 2011 season officially kicks off.

So, Counsell will be 100 years old and Betoncourt will be a FA and likely prove not worthy of retaining. There is nobody in the system (that I am aware of) ready to take over and as far as I can tell no realistic free agents available (JJ Hardy?) next year.

So, who are you targeting as SS for 2012?

I could go either way....either a $2-5 million stopgap (Furcal, Reyes, Scutaro, Rollins, Hardy, etc) or even promoting Prince from AA if he has a good year...I'll take defense and steals if they come cheaply.

I could go either way....either a $2-5 million stopgap (Furcal, Reyes, Scutaro, Rollins, Hardy, etc) or even promoting Prince from AA if he has a good year...I'll take defense and steals if they come cheaply.

I would be thrilled with Furcal. Reyes will be looking at 9 figures most likely. At least trying to and I wouldn't even dream of that. Furcal for 2 years and 20 million would be more than acceptable to me.

Upgrading our Defense at a couple spots and keeping our pitching might have next year looking as encouraging at this year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Say what you want, but Hardy was taken for granted in a big way when he was here.

Only by people who wanted to flat-out release him (& I'm not only referring to his '09 season). The mistake the Brewers made was selling really low on him when they didn't have to, not taking him for granted.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

(I am an acknowledged JJ supporter. Probably my favorite of the Braun-Weeks-Fielder-Hart-Hardy "Baby Brewers" that lead to the 2008 playoff appearance)

Not trying to relive the JJ trade but...It is understood that hindsight is always 20-20, but Alcides always reeked of a propsect to be traded to me. His skillset is not what I would call special for his position. In this era, special SS prospects are Hanley Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes. Players that can not only pick it at SS but bring more than a little something with the bat. IIRC, Alcides was always known as the guy who could bring the D but was expected to hit about .250-.260 in the Majors. Now if he could've had an OBP around 100 points higher than his BA like say Rickie Weeks, I would see some serious value in Alcides. But I never saw it with him. A player like that, who brings all D and limited O is more Luis Cruz than Jose Reyes.

JJ would bring to this team exactly what we are missing this season with Betancourt and what we were missing last season with Alcides. JJ is just a solid all around player. He may not make the highlight reel play on D and he may never be the .280, 20+ HR all star SS again, but he brings a consistent glove on D and any offense from him would have just been a plus. Even in his worst 2009, with a .229 AVG, his OBP was at .300 or the the best possible scenario for Betancourt in 2011.

DM should be trying to acquire Hardy now IMO and start mending the fences because he is the most affordable FA option with a relatively high ceiling still as he will only be 30 during the 2012 season. Furcal, Reyes, Rollins all will cost way more than JJ and he may give similar production to every one of those except Reyes.

EDIT: And as a side note, with JJ at SS THIS season, a lot of those questions about defense undermining the season would go away. I know JJ isn't coming to Milwaukee in 2011, I just thought it's worth noting that we had a solution to SS internally at one time (hindsight 20-20 I know).

(I am an acknowledged JJ supporter. Probably my favorite of the Braun-Weeks-Fielder-Hart-Hardy "Baby Brewers" that lead to the 2008 playoff appearance)

Not trying to relive the JJ trade but...It is understood that hindsight is always 20-20, but Alcides always reeked of a propsect to be traded to me. His skillset is not what I would call special for his position. In this era, special SS prospects are Hanley Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes. Players that can not only pick it at SS but bring more than a little something with the bat. IIRC, Alcides was always known as the guy who could bring the D but was expected to hit about .250-.260 in the Majors. Now if he could've had an OBP around 100 points higher than his BA like say Rickie Weeks, I would see some serious value in Alcides. But I never saw it with him. A player like that, who brings all D and limited O is more Luis Cruz than Jose Reyes.

JJ would bring to this team exactly what we are missing this season with Betancourt and what we were missing last season with Alcides. JJ is just a solid all around player. He may not make the highlight reel play on D and he may never be the .280, 20+ HR all star SS again, but he brings a consistent glove on D and any offense from him would have just been a plus. Even in his worst 2009, with a .229 AVG, his OBP was at .300 or the the best possible scenario for Betancourt in 2011.

DM should be trying to acquire Hardy now IMO and start mending the fences because he is the most affordable FA option with a relatively high ceiling still as he will only be 30 during the 2012 season. Furcal, Reyes, Rollins all will cost way more than JJ and he may give similar production to every one of those except Reyes.

EDIT: And as a side note, with JJ at SS THIS season, a lot of those questions about defense undermining the season would go away. I know JJ isn't coming to Milwaukee in 2011, I just thought it's worth noting that we had a solution to SS internally at one time (hindsight 20-20 I know).

I don't think that it's an impossibility that J.J. comes back this year. Frankly, I think that's the only way he will come back- let's face it, he was screwed over pretty badly when he was demoted down to AAA solely to mess with his service time- I doubt that he would come back here as a free agent. Obviously, we don't know what went down behind the scenes, but Hardy was a very popular player (among most fans), and though not flashy, probably the best defensive shortstop this team has had since Yount. Best case, the Orioles tank (though I think that they may be better than expected this year) and would be willing to move Hardy in July. If Yuni isn't getting the job done, why not go for Hardy?

Not trying to relive the JJ trade but...It is understood that hindsight is always 20-20, but Alcides always reeked of a propsect to be traded to me. His skillset is not what I would call special for his position. In this era, special SS prospects are Hanley Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes. Players that can not only pick it at SS but bring more than a little something with the bat. IIRC, Alcides was always known as the guy who could bring the D but was expected to hit about .250-.260 in the Majors. Now if he could've had an OBP around 100 points higher than his BA like say Rickie Weeks, I would see some serious value in Alcides. But I never saw it with him. A player like that, who brings all D and limited O is more Luis Cruz than Jose Reyes. ......

I always suspected the Escobar hype was precisely to increase his trade value, since JJ looked to be a special player that you'd want to keep long term. After two bad seasons though, Hardy was suddenly expensive and Doug had to flip flop his strategy.

When allocating those FA dollars, keep in mind we'll for sure be looking to fill a huge hole at first base, and may also be looking for a CFer as well.

1B and CF will probably be filled pretty cheap with Gomez, Morgan and Gamel. Even a FA 1B wouldn't be all that expensive. The talent pool at 1B is pretty deep.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really doubt JJ would come back as long as Melvin is GM
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm thinking Hanley Ramirez, who jumps to $15 million in 2012, and signed through 2014. The Marlins won't want to pay him $41 million over his last 3 seasons will they?
If they don't, I can think of 29 other teams who'd almost certainly all give up several top prospects for the privilege.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

A young version of Counsell. Maybe even some insane Counsell/Eckstein hybrid type.

That's like some sort of gritty, battling, Ned Yost wet dream right there of a player.

Wait, Soup can play SS?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

SS is not really a shallow position in MLB, there are tons of mediocre players at the position. I'm going to say that our SS next year is Marco Scutaro with Lowrie taking over full time in Boston.

Archived