Brewer Fanatic

Braddock stung by scorpion

And That

It would be a cool story to say you got stung by a scorpion as long as you make it out of it ok. Just a random topic of conversation at a bar or something. Like, "Yeah man, I got stung by a scorpion once out in Arizona. It was horrible, but of course I made it through it. That scorpion couldn't take me down." Lol.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

My wife was convinced last year that she was bitten (not stung, bitten) by a scorpion in her sleep (Atlanta area). Apparently, one reliable way to spot one is to use a black light. So I had to go out, buy a black light, and spend time combing through our bedroom in the dark. Of course, I didn't find anything and now I need psychedelic decor for my house so my black light doesn't go to waste.

EDIT: She has corrected me. She was "pinched," not bitten.

My wife was convinced last year that she was bitten (not stung, bitten) by a scorpion in her sleep (Atlanta area). Apparently, one reliable way to spot one is to use a black light. So I had to go out, buy a black light, and spend time combing through our bedroom in the dark. Of course, I didn't find anything and now I need psychedelic decor for my house so my black light doesn't go to waste.
Great for finding out where your cat's missed the litter box, too.

I'll see an occasional scorpion or tarantula out here, but not too many. The bigger threat is the rattlesnakes coming out of dens in the next few weeks. I'll see lots of them on the golf courses

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think I saw one scorpion the 4 + years I lived in Phoenix. And it was about half an inch long.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Watch out for those Wisconsin Rattlers!!!" - Roman Craig

I would hate to have to look out for snakes on the golf course. I'd loose a lot more balls in the tall grass, I can tell you that much!

You don't have to worry about tall grass in Arizona. I wouldn't stick my hand in a bush in the desert though either. Almost ran over a snake on a cart path in Mesa about 10 days ago. Wasn't a rattler though. They do warn you to bring a club with when you go looking for a ball in the desert.

scorpion > tearing phone book in half with bare hands > salad tongs

There, corrected that :-)

I think I saw one scorpion the 4 + years I lived in Phoenix. And it was about half an inch long.

I've heard the smaller they are the stronger the venom.

They do warn you to bring a club with when you go looking for a ball in the desert.

This made me think of Homer Simpson on "Whacking Day."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I've heard the smaller they are the stronger the venom.

It's really an inverse relationship with pincer size. Big claws usually mean less reliance on, and less potent, venom.

I still remember staying with a buddy at his Dad and stepmom's house a few miles outside San Antonio and having to bang our shoes a time or two before putting them on because his Dad warned us the scorpions would sometimes crawl inside them.

I've been in Arizona for 17 years, and saw my first up-close tarantula earlier this school year (in our teachers' lunch room, no less). Completely freaked me out when it started moving. I've encountered a couple of scorpions, both as I was getting ready for the new school year, and a couple of snakes--a big bull snake, and a baby rattlesnake, both with kids on the playground; and a baby king snake. The snakes do not bother me anywhere near as much as that tarantula, though--go figure.

This made me think of Homer Simpson on "Whacking Day."
Pavlovian response:

http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/whacking-day-picture.jpg

Actually, that's much more Skinnarian.. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Can Braddocks nickname be the scorpion king? I think thats how he should be introduced from now on. "Now pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers, The Scorpion King". Who would want to bat against a guy with that nickname?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

This is where superhero superpowers come from. I don't know what Scorpion Man would be able to do, aside from sting foes, but I'm just saying.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/Scorpy.gif v. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/MK1Scorpion.jpg

Take your pick.

Archived