Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Nyjer Morgan -- Latest: Audio Fun, a must-listen, but the Nationals won't be amused

cheesecup22

Wow, that is a great link. Whether it's warranted or not, I still hold a little resentment towards Wes Helms and I love his comments on Nyjer Morgan.

Morgan seems to be the type of player who really feeds off of positive feedback, and conversely negative feedback, and the Brewer fans have been nothing but supportive of him so far. Hopefully he can help fill some of the void that currently exists in the batting order at number 2,6, and 7. It could be a huge push for this team. We already know he is willing to lay out for a ball in RF.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember how crazy that fight was last year between the Marlins and the Nats. I don't feel like looking it up but I think I was one of the first to actually defend Morgan last year when that happened. Either way it should be fun to play Florida this year when Mr. Plush starts http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I loved hearing the Braves guys today..They really were praising Nyjer..

I think one Chip Caray quote was something like, "I've seen enough of Nyjer Morgan this series", after Morgan's diving catch in RF today. Made me chuckle.

And I'll add in one more echo... what a great interview.

EDIT:

Homer: Tony, how do you spell your last name?

Tony Plush: P-l-u-s-h

Homer: Ok

Tony: Yeauh

Homer: Oh

Tony: Yeauh

That exchange cracked me up

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I feel pretty good about Nyjer right now. I still feel like he's a question mark after this year for the same concerns, but as long as we are winning and players aren't facing a lot of frustration he'll be a good team player. I feel like that will last at least for this year.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

To this day I still dont understand why it was wrong for him to be stealing bases when his team was down by 10 runs. If they were up ten 10 runs I could see the reason for anger, but they were losing. I have played the game since I was 8 and I dont remember that ever being in the unwritten rules.

Look up "Wes Helms on Nyjer Morgan" on youtube. I didn't know that Helms was such a "play the game the right way" honk. Maybe he should actually be playing in St. Louis...

What a class act.

You know, as a former hockey player, I can't help but notice that he plays the game like a hockey player. Growing up playing hockey, we were taught to play the game with intensity and passion, and to wear our hearts on our sleeves. That's how Morgan plays baseball, and I don't have a problem with it.

I love how Helms doesn't see the irony in pushing "play the game the right way" yet condoning plunking a guy for not "playing the game the right way". What an epic tool.

To this day I still dont understand why it was wrong for him to be stealing bases when his team was down by 10 runs. If they were up ten 10 runs I could see the reason for anger, but they were losing. I have played the game since I was 8 and I dont remember that ever being in the unwritten rules.

Completely agree. Not sure why you cannot steal when down 10. What is the limit on how much you can be down by? That's like saying down throw the ball deep when you are down 35 in football. It happens all the time.

Considering teams have comeback from down 8 in the 9th 3 times in MLB history I think stealing when down 10 is okay

Is Morgan just under contract for this year? Can I put a request in for a T-Plush bobblehead next year?

Morgan is pre-arb. He's under team control for 3 years after this season. He didn't get to The Bigs until he was like 28 or so.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

FIB4,

Best. Avatar. Ever.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think stealing when down 10 is more of a risk/reward thing.

You need 10 runs, so you need to keep people on the bases, so it is not worth risking an out to move up a player one base...when you really need a big inning...(not manufacturing one run)

Plush is fond of Prince’s regal name. He asked Coach Roenicke to start calling him “Count Plush.” Coach said, “Tone, just hit triples.”

~From the Tony Plush Twitter feed

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Haha, he's exactly right about the Nationals. They are incredibly stupid for getting rid of him. They instead kept Rick Ankiel, Michael Morse, Laynce Nix, Jerry Hairston, and Matt Stairs. Who are hitting .158, .111, .143, .000, and .000 respectively. Oh well, their loss is our gain.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Plush is fond of Prince’s regal name. He asked Coach Roenicke to start calling him “Count Plush.” Coach said, “Tone, just hit triples.”

~From the Tony Plush Twitter feed

Whomever composes those tweets for the Tony Plush Twitter account is fantastic at it because I could totally see Morgan thinking or saying those things. It had me fooled for more than a minute. I could read that stuff all day!

Community Moderator

Looks like I was the most anti-Morgan on that thread from last year. Perhaps a little too harsh in retrospect... Tony has grown on me quickly here--sure there might be a bad ending sometime down the road, but for now you have to ride the wave. I still think he should keep his mouth shut--of course he doesn't want to play for a losing team, but neither does anyone else and you aren't going to make very many friends in baseball when you bash your former team.

It will be up to Roenicke and the coaching staff to harness his aggression. Having a competition in CF will be good for the team and Kotsay will find himself at the end of the bench.

I may be biased, but I think I had the best post in that thread.

It's a shame Volstad moved. Morgan would've landed a nice left if he would've

stayed still. I also like how Morgan had to jump to reach Volstad's jaw. Heck

of a clothesline by Sanchez to take Morgan down as

well.

Archived