Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Nyjer Morgan -- Latest: Audio Fun, a must-listen, but the Nationals won't be amused

cheesecup22
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but....I was....just...standing next to Cutter . . ..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/5555938514_900bedac66.jpg

if Scooter goes next it was me.

Yeah, I am wicked bummed that it's Cutter that went. I know he wasn't exactly climbing the ladder fast, but trading him for a guy that's just going to get non-tendered after a season bums me out.

Morgan occasionally refers to himself as Tony Plush, which he states is his "Gentleman's name." - per wikipedia.

Welcome to Milwaukee, Tony.

Per the Washington Post in 2009, he's also been called Tony Blush, and his DJ name is "DJ Nij-Nnn-Nnn-Nnn-Nice."

He has also named his car Charlene.

From Diego to Tony Plush/Blush/DJ Nij-Nnn-Nnn-Nnn-Nice. We live in interesting times.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm not sure how they stack up against each other in CF defensively (Gomez and Morgan) but would the best opening day outfield be Braun in Left, Morgan in Center and Gomez in right? Morgan has a noodle and Gomez has a cannon. Playing Gomez in right would make the most sense until Corey gets back.

3 pages so far and no-one has mentioned that Morgan is a upgrade over Kotsay?! At least in terms of OBP vs right-handers, I'd much rather see Morgan in right-field until Hart gets back. Good insurance in case of Gomez and a good trade.

Disappointed they would take Reed over Boggs but I suppose it doesn't matter once Hart gets back

I sure hope Almonte's spring wasn't a fluke, as he's now our only hope of having a RH bat on the bench. With Gomez and Morgan, why are we keeping Reed over Boggs?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't get it, really. Is it a mission to try and have the worst offensive CF tandem in MLB?

I guess if Roenicke doesn't let Morgan run, it wouldn't be the worst 5th OF in MLB, but since he can't hit, either, what's the point?

The point is that a) aside from power, Morgan has been a solid offensive player, save last year, and b) he covers a heck of a lot of ground in the OF.

I always find it funny that so many people expect Melvin to be able to fill every spot on the roster with guys who can hit .300, smack 20 homers, and be Gold Glove defenders. Not every guy on the team, and even in the starting lineup, is going to be really good, and even the best ones usually have deficiencies in some areas.

Morgan is a pretty decent 4th OF.

I like this move. Morgan can do the one thing Gomez has never come close to...he can get on base.

Morgan has two flaws that I don't like - he gets caught stealing too much, and his arm is pretty weak.

I think it's great insurance in case Gomez starts putting up a .300ish OBP again, and the skills of the two players would allow for a platoon, if need be.

I like how this only gets on the ESPN headlines on the front page because it was for "Son of former ML player Lenny Dysktra"
CNNSI has it on their front-page and it does not mention Dykstra by name just say Morgan for a minor leaguer. CBSSports does the same

Morgan adds a potentially crucial asset to our late inning abilities with his speed. I also think that the leadership on this team (Braun, Prince, Rickie, etc..) will be able to keep him in check if he ever starts showing any mental breakdowns.

The Dickerson/Dykstra for Morgan/Mitre deal is definitely ok with me.

Love the trade. Some people said this would shatter Gomez' confidence. If the guy's confidence can really be shattered by the existence of Nyjer Morgan, then I never wanted that guy to be starting for my team down the stretch or in the playoffs in the first place.

Nyjer A Ball .253/.357/.335/.692

Cutter : .274/.374/.583/.757

Good thing Cutter will never make the bigs. (I understand he needs to find a position) Oh, and if you're in the outfield stands, watch out, because Nyjer likes to drill fans he doesn't like with the baseball.

Have the Brewers indicated how they plan on divvying up playing time? I don't know the politics involved, but it seems like Morgan would be a great lefthanded half of a CF platoon.

Morgan's career slash line against RHP is .308/.361/.387. His career versus lefties is .200/.292/.269.

Gomez has pretty much stunk versus all pitchers equally, but his numbers against lefties are slightly better than Morgan: .234/.284/.357, and he arguably has more room for growth.

I'd guess that Gomez will start the season as the everyday CF. By that, I mean he'll probably get 70% or so of the starts. How he handles that will determine whether or not the tandem will be platooned at some point in the season.

It will be interesting to see who they start in RF until Hart returns. Prior to this trade, I figured Kotsay was a lock, but we'll see if they take better defense / higher OBP over slightly more power, and a better personality.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It will be interesting to see who they start in RF until Hart returns. Prior to this trade, I figured Kotsay was a lock, but we'll see if they take better defense / higher OBP over slightly more power, and a better personality.

I sure hope that Roenicke takes nothing into account when making a lineup out due to personality.

Archived