Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Nyjer Morgan -- Latest: Audio Fun, a must-listen, but the Nationals won't be amused

cheesecup22

You'd run a huge risk of benching Gomez after his fine spring. Don't forget Morgan put up a lousy .633 OPS last year (compared to Gomez' .655) and he lacks the power Gomez has.

Despite his speed, Morgan gets thrown out a lot trying to steal. Gomez is the better base stealer. I'm not so sure Morgan is the better player.

I'm not sure I want to judge guys on spring stats. Reed hit .393, Almonte hit .382 and Zealous Wheeler hit .379. Those numbers don't really mean squat to me. Until Gomez learns how to consistently draw walks at at least a 1/10 ratio of walks per AB, he's an offensive liability. There's enough history to suggest that he likely won't do what he needs to do to not be a liability.

I'm not saying that this means Morgan will outplay Gomez, I'm just not going to put much stock in Gomez's spring numbers.

Actually Almonte is hitting .441 and Reed is hitting .379, but nonetheless you're right. Either way, Almonte is gonna make the team for his numbers, and Reed might too. McGehee did a few years ago. It can translate, but there's also times where it's meaningless. We'll have to wait and see.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reed's spring training line in 2009:.422/.493/.594. His season with the Mets: .242/.301/.304

Reed's spring training line in 2010: .431/.463/.490. His combined total between Charlotte and Las Vegas:.279/.342/.412.

Reed this year in spring training: .379/.391/.515

Going by Reed's numbers this spring and what he turned those spring numbers into in the past he should be cut

This tidbit from Adam McCalvy made me laugh:

Melvin made calls to check out Morgan’s checkered past, which I will get into in my coverage later today. He learned that Morgan is emotional and tempremental, “but he’s not a problem in the clubhouse.” That was good enough for Melvin, who chalked up Morgan’s emotion to the fact he’s a former hockey player.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like the depth we now have in our outfield. Hoping Boggs makes it over Reed, but I won't be upset if Reed makes it. Gomez needs to learn how to take a walk, but I no doubt want Gomez starting over Morgan.
This bit was also in McCalvy's article:

Melvin informed outfielder Brandon Boggs that he would not make the team. Boggs is either on waivers already or will be placed on waivers, and Melvin said the Brewers would like to keep him. But Boggs has already been outrighted once, and he would have the right to refuse an assignment to the Minor Leagues this time.

So it looks like Reed is in.

I hope this means Reed goes to AAA also. I'd rather keep Boggs for now, because he's a switch-hitter.
According to McCalvy's blog, Boggs is already on waivers, meaning that Reed will fill that 5th (4th) outfielder spot. I'm surprised they didn't stick with Boggs since he seemed to be the better hitter.

I know Morgan may not have the best arm for right field, but it would be fun to see him out there with Gomez at the same time. They could cover quite a bit of ground out there, especially when we have more of a fly ball pitcher out there like Wolf.

I don't get it, really. Is it a mission to try and have the worst offensive CF tandem in MLB?

I guess if Roenicke doesn't let Morgan run, it wouldn't be the worst 5th OF in MLB, but since he can't hit, either, what's the point?

I don't get it, really. Is it a mission to try and have the worst offensive CF tandem in MLB?

I guess if Roenicke doesn't let Morgan run, it wouldn't be the worst 5th OF in MLB, but since he can't hit, either, what's the point?

This is quite a stretch. Morgan had a bad year last season, but his career slash line is: .283/.344/.360. What's missing is power, but he can hit and get on base.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

the Brewers only had to give up Cutter Dykstra (who let's face it, was never going to be a Milwaukee Brewer)

Based on what? He had a good 2010 season.

This seems like an alright pickup. I'm not in love with giving Dykstra for him, but oh well. This quote from McCalvy's blog enty, though, makes me feel sick:

– With Boggs out of the picture, it looks like the Brewers’ Opening Day

outfielders will be Ryan Braun, Gomez, Mark Kotsay, Morgan and Jeremy

Reed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm going to guess part of the equation here is if the Brewers hope to win this year, they figure winning may calm Morgan and make him less prone to outbursts. As the old cliche goes, winning cures everything. Morgan has been on some terrible teams and that probably factors into some of his outbursts, or at least the Brewers hope so.

He's an upgrade over Boggs, can play all three OF positions, and adds an element of speed off the bench. The bench still seems to be devoid of a true power threat, but Morgan's acquisition is helpful.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

This is quite a stretch. Morgan had a bad year last season, but his career slash line is: .283/.344/.360. What's missing is power, but he can hit and get on base.
I think he might be one of those speed-type guys hitting the wall at this point. He's not young anymore and he's a singles hitter.

Asked Nats blogger Will Yoder on Morgan's personality, and this is what he told me:

Morgan is pretty eccentric. He will occasionally talk about himself in the third person, or refer to himself as his gentleman alter ego, Tony Plush. For the most part his behavior is harmless, much in the way that Ricky Henderson's quirks really had no effect on how he fit in with teammates. Of course, Morgan isn't the player Henderson was by any light, and his blow up last summer alienated him from many in the club house. I would say that he had a bad few weeks which cost him his spot in Washington, but overall he is not a bad clubhouse presence...but certainly not a normal one.

Sounds similar to what Melvin was saying -- not a bad guy, just emotional and got caught up in a bad couple weeks last August and September.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Morgan occasionally refers to himself as Tony Plush, which he states is his "Gentleman's name." - per wikipedia.

Welcome to Milwaukee, Tony.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I think he might be one of those speed-type guys hitting the wall at this point. He's not young anymore and he's a singles hitter.

Not sure how closely related the next two stats are with speed (my assumption is that they are related pretty strongly), but his bunt hit success rate & BABIP were way below recent years in 2010:

BUH%: 42.9%, 38.5%, 36.8%, 24.5%

BABIP: .356, .364, .355, .304

His O-Zone swing rates were way up last season, and as a result, pitchers were throwing a lot less in the zone to him. I don't know if he can retain the discipline that made him a solid singles/speed hitter, but we have to hope he can.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived