Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Nyjer Morgan -- Latest: Audio Fun, a must-listen, but the Nationals won't be amused

cheesecup22

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Yikes. I do not really understand why we would take this risk. Hopefully we can get a few good months out of Morgan before he inevitably implodes (if he hasn't already judging by his ST numbers).

I'll be cheering for him to surprise me, but he needs to be released at the first sign of any trouble.

Gomez will be the starter but Morgan will be the 4th outfielder and give Gomez some days off.

He also provides a very nice insurance policy in case Gomez plays like he usually does..

I like it a lot. Morgan can get on base and could bat early in the lineup if needed. I am not really buying that he will be a distraction in the clubhouse - yet. If his problems were related to his teammates and distractions inside of the clubhouse instead of going after the other team I would be more concerned.

He's a significant upgrade over Gomez or Reed or Kotsay or Boggs or Dickerson. He's also an upgrade over Hart against RHP at least, so can't see how this can be a bad thing. So we traded Dykstra for Morgan and Mitre basically which is fine. These are pretty good moves by Melvin even though I'd have liked someone better than Mitre.

On the surface, I didn't think there was much difference here bew morgan and gomez, but if you look at the obp for morgan, you'll see that he's a lot better really...even in his worst year (last year, unfortunately) Nyjer still had an ok obp...in his 3 previous seasons in the bigs, he's had a good obp, which means he's probably better than gomez...i hop he starts and gets 400 ab's in center

This gives the Brewers a decent option to replace Gomez but his value is with his glove and so needs to be in the field almost every day to have real worth. He's better on the bench than the current OF backups obviously.

I am not really buying that he will be a distraction in the clubhouse - yet. If his problems were related to his teammates and distractions inside of the clubhouse instead of going after the other team I would be more concerned.
But he's going to keep facing "other teams" with the Brewers as he did with the Nats. Unfortunately, the only way to find out that his anger problems of last fall aren't past him is the hard way. In this case I side more with OWBC's wariness than cheesecup22's relative optimism.

Nyjer did always seem to be good for an ill-timed double or triple vs. the Brewers, so at least that threat is eliminated, for now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Tough blow for Jeremy Reed who appeared to have the team made. He'll likely now be toiling for Nashville. Boggs too will undoubtedly be sent packing once Hart returns.

I have mixed feelings about this one. It certainly is a boost to the talent level but it can't do all that much for Gomez' confidence. Maybe there is another deal in the works? They didn't give up much though. Will be interesting to see how Roenicke uses these guys. Would he dare pinch run for Fielder late in a tie game? How about pinch running for a catcher? We know the previous two Brewer managers would never get down to their last catcher.

Why should Gomez start? If we really want to win, play the best player and the best player is Morgan.

You'd run a huge risk of benching Gomez after his fine spring. Don't forget Morgan put up a lousy .633 OPS last year (compared to Gomez' .655) and he lacks the power Gomez has.

Despite his speed, Morgan gets thrown out a lot trying to steal. Gomez is the better base stealer. I'm not so sure Morgan is the better player.

I'm really not worried about Gomez's confidence. He had a good spring, and if he keeps playing well he won't lose his spot. Morgan is here as out 4th outfielder, who is capable of taking over for Gomez, or for really any of our outfielders if they go down. I highly doubt that Roenicke will even start platooning him with Gomez right away. He has to give Gomez a shot first. If he falters, like many believe he will, then it will be time to start letting Morgan play more. This is a very good pickup by Doug to provide insurance in the outfield. Also, I'd start him in RF instead of Kotsay right now.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I am not really buying that he will be a distraction in the clubhouse - yet. If his problems were related to his teammates and distractions inside of the clubhouse instead of going after the other team I would be more concerned.
But he's going to keep facing "other teams" with the Brewers as he did with the Nats. Unfortunately, the only way to find out that his anger problems of last fall aren't past him is the hard way. In this case I side more with OWBC's wariness than cheesecup22's relative optimism.

Right. But what I am saying is that he I don't feel that he will break apart a clubhouse from within. Prince has had similar problems with "anger issues" toward the opposing team, but it does not seem to affect the team a whole lot.

My only concern is that this will affect Gomez. I was as down on Gomez as anyone last year, but for some reason had optimism for him after a strong spring. Hopefully Gomez is given a chance and full confidence to start the year.

Morgan has 30 hits in 70 appearances at Miller Park for a .429 average in those limited at bats..... Morgan should never, ever face a lefty/ his career platoon splits are dramatic, even with stlen bases - he cannot read the move of lefties.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You'd run a huge risk of benching Gomez after his fine spring. Don't forget Morgan put up a lousy .633 OPS last year (compared to Gomez' .655) and he lacks the power Gomez has.

Despite his speed, Morgan gets thrown out a lot trying to steal. Gomez is the better base stealer. I'm not so sure Morgan is the better player.

I'm not sure I want to judge guys on spring stats. Reed hit .393, Almonte hit .382 and Zealous Wheeler hit .379. Those numbers don't really mean squat to me. Until Gomez learns how to consistently draw walks at at least a 1/10 ratio of walks per AB, he's an offensive liability. There's enough history to suggest that he likely won't do what he needs to do to not be a liability.

I'm not saying that this means Morgan will outplay Gomez, I'm just not going to put much stock in Gomez's spring numbers.

I'm just curious of how well Morgan will handle spending a lot of time on the bench if Gomez does play the way he is capable of. To me, I don't see him as a person who would handle that to well. Could be wrong though. I would have probably preffered Dickerson over Morgan but I think this was a good trade. Dykstra was blocked at 2nd, couldn't play OF, and as of right now doesn't have the stick for 3B so I am hapy for him to go somewhere where he may have an opening to work his way up at 2nd. Morgan is solid depth and more proven depth han what we have. Move helps the team

Archived