Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Acquire RHP Sergio Mitre from NYY for Chris Dickerson

crewcrazy
I don't think anyone's "panties are in a bunch" over this (and let's refrain from using that phrase). Those who don't like it just think that the Brewers gave up more than they had to for a replacement level spot starter/long reliever. If Dickerson wasn't going to make the team, he easily could have been optioned instead of being traded for a dime-a-dozen groundball guy. I don't think anyone is arguing this is a huge net loss for the Brewers, but it certainly looks to be a net loss nonetheless.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think many of you are making a really big deal out of this when really it's not a big deal at all.
This.

We got Dickerson for basically nothing, and we traded him for basically nothing. A swap of marginal talent from our bench for marginal talent in the bullpen.

You do realize this means that there is no back up plan if Carlos Gomez continues being Carlos Gomez?

Plan A: Logan Schafer when he returns from his broken thumb.

Plan B: Trade

Plan C: Caleb Gindl

I guess I don't see how Gomez could be any worse of a burden on offense than Escobar was last year. I'm more worried about pitching than a backup OF.

I don't think anyone's "panties are in a bunch" over this (and let's refrain from using that phrase). Those who don't like it just think that the Brewers gave up more than they had to for a replacement level spot starter/long reliever. If Dickerson wasn't going to make the team, he easily could have been optioned instead of being traded for a dime-a-dozen groundball guy. I don't think anyone is arguing this is a huge net loss for the Brewers, but it certainly looks to be a net loss nonetheless.
Well said. I think that's pretty much the point we're all trying to make here. It just doesn't make sense.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Here's how I see it:

Logan Schafer is hurt and will be out (I believe) 4-6 weeks. Therefore, Reed (signed to a minor league deal) should go to AAA and be the full-time CF. The "new attitude" Gomez will be the full-time CF in Milwaukee. Boggs (who would've been lost if we didn't have room for him on the 25-man) will now get a spot on the roster. He will be the RH part of a RF platoon with Kotsay (who otherwise would've been full time RF) until Hart is back and a much needed RH bat off the bench this season. He will also get spot starts in CF. He's played there multiple times this spring, and his defense will be fine for a few spot starts. If Gomez gets hurt or sucks so bad we absolutely have to completely replace him, then Reed will have been playing full time at AAA, so he will be in a better position to come up and replace him.

Meanwhile, we gained a pitcher who can pick up the few starts Greinke will miss and/or can fill in for Parra if the injury is worse than we think. We had almost no backup plan for SP injury, which was spotlighted pretty brightly with a few injuries this spring. Mitre isn't a savior, but at least he's a little more MLB depth.

We didn't just trade Braun or Fielder. There is a chance that Gomez fails, and if he does, I think Boggs has just as much chance of "saving the day" for a failing Gomez as Dickerson. And really, if our season hinges on either of them "saving the day," then I think we're in trouble. To me the marginal difference between Dickerson and Boggs makes this much less of a deal than people are making it out to be. The additional RH bat on the bench and additional pitching help could very well make the Brewers better.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think a lot of the detractors of the trade are too overly concerned with Carlos Gomez. If Chris Dickerson was so great and so valuable why is he not starting? Why is he not even making the major league club in New York? When your wish comes true and Carlos Gomez fails, some other Dickerson equivalent is available at Nashville and near 30 other farms across America. If Carlos Gomez fails and it's late June, I'd much rather look at a rental acquisition than turn to Chris Dickerson. I will not toss and turn on this one...even if Gomez fails.

Hey all trade supporters remeber Chris Dickerson the greatest thing since sliced bread! When Gomez goes back to be the most worthless player in the history of baseball, Dickerson will save the day!!! We stand no chance this season now! We got not one gal darn option! DM what were you thinking!! Mitre blows, Gomez blows, now the Brewers will blow!!!!! I can't believe now I will have to watch a team that has Kotsay and Reed on the roster. I know they have never played a single game for the brewers but they awful! I don't want to hear any well Brewers have had good luck with guys like Kotsay (Kapler, Edmonds, Cirrillo) and Reed (Posednick, Clark, Inglett) because their is ZERO chance they could possibly doing anythin constructive.

Just trying to fit in with all the negitive fans who make a big deal over nothing. Dickerson = nothing special, wasn't even a lock to make the roster but yet sure crap, we trade now he is this huge piece to our team....unreal. On top of it there is plenty more hate on players who have yet to even play a single game for the Brewers in the thread. Don't get why some are you are so willing to write off people before they even play a game. Brewers have lived off guys that no one thought had a chance to do anything and they do great things. I for one will wait to see if these guys are as terrible as many of you have decided they will be.

Overall solid trade. A one for one of okay players of equal value. Hopefully Boggs and Reed play well if not by May/June Schaefer should be 100% and have the ab's to be called up or maybe Gindl. I personally feel Gomez will be much better. From everything I have read he is working his butt off to improve and the player he can be.

You do realize this means that there is no back up plan if Carlos Gomez continues being Carlos Gomez?

- Brandon Boggs

- Jeremy Reed

- Mark Kotsay

- Caleb Gindl

- Logan Schafer

- Eric Komatsu

- Dickerson gave this list more depth, but if he was that great, it would've been Gomez coming off the bench, not Dickerson.

- I liked the spring Dickerson was having, too. But all offseason I've carped about the lack of SP depth. Mitre may only be the swing-man pitching version of Dickerson, but we didn't have that pitching equivalent until this trade.

- On account of that lack of proven SP depth, I reiterate my 8-month-long mantra that Capuano should've been signed as the guaranteed #5 instead of them handing it to Narveson. Then they could've had Cappy PLUS the control over Narveson's contract, plus a good swingman & rotation insurance. Instead, Cappy's a Met & we've got Mitre.

But above all....

While there are still ample reasons to be skeptical, there are more reasons than ever to have some hope that Gomez may finally be making meaningful progress at the plate. The guy has the ability, and he was seriously humbled last year, which means the message finally sunk in & he therefore has more reality-based motivation than ever to become the better player that he can be. That doesn't guarantee anything. But it does given more reason for hope than there's been in the past. The fact that he keeps hitting it up the middle & toward the 2B means the message has stuck well past the batting cage. Now if he can keep doing that well past Opening Day, then maybe he'll be vindicated & we won't be worrying so much about the loss of Dickerson.

p.s. It was only a few years ago Jeremy Reed was a serious can't-miss top prospect in Seattle. Injuries totally set him back. I'm not suggesting he'll be the next Podsednik, Brady Clark, Kapler, Edmonds, or Willie Mays. But if Reed can live up to some of those expectations of him from a few years ago, it'll amount to more successful Melvin nugget-mining and the Brewers will be the beneficiaries. I'm not sold that he'll do that. But in the long run he's certainly a worthy low-risk investment.

I was shocked to read the dislike of this trade...

anytime you can get any pitching for 4th tor 5th outfielder...I think you take it....I think you can find serviceable outfielders all over the place...but pitching is tough to come by....

Mitre is no world beater, but he does have some experience....and has had some successes along with some failures.

I think Mitre is getting some unnecessary abuse here. He's no world beater - neither is Dickerson - but he's far from a terrible pitcher.

His xFIPs the past three seasons he's pitched (he missed 2008 due to TJ surgery): 4.28, 4.00, 4.34. A ~4.25 xFIP over 250+ IP is not hot poop, but it isn't poop either. He's also a good GB pitcher, though with the Brewers infield D I'm not sure whether that's presently a plus or not.

Mitre is probably going to have an ERA in the middle 4's, be a little above replacement level, and not wow anyone at any point. There's some value there, especially in the depth it creates in the bullpen. He's one more guy in the line of defense against having to bring up the Dillards of the world (no offense, Tim).

And I've said this a number of times about Dickerson, and I'll say it one more time on the way out: I liked him a lot more before I saw him play. His batting style seems ineffectual to me. He's not one of those guys that takes a lot of BBs and Ks because he only swings at stuff in the zone. He often swings at stuff outside the zone he shouldn't be thinking about and takes good pitches over the plate. He's a good defender, and I'll miss that about him. I just don't think he's going to be much more than a 1-2 WAR player mostly due to D.

How can anyone think trading something of value for something that could be had for free is a good deal? Regardless of him being marked as the 4th OF, it doesn't make him actually the 4th best OF on the team. Gomez is worse than Dickerson in every way except defense, and he's not even that much better at defense. When Gomez fails, and we're sending out Mark freaking Kotsay or Brandon Boggs to play CF, this is going to look bad. Real bad. Dickerson was the best CF in our system.

Yes, Mitre's xFIP has been good, except he gives up a LOT of HR and has his entire career. xFIP is not a good indicator for him. Mitre is the definition of replacement level. I will eat my hat if 4 or 5 players exactly like Mitre don't show up on waivers in a week and could have been claimed for free.

EDIT: Corrected a really bad run-on sentence.

Yes, Mitre's xFIP has been good, except he gives up a LOT of HR and has his entire career. xFIP is not a good indicator for him.
His FIP for the same period is around 4.40. He's not the definition of replacement level - I think he's likely to be around a win or more above replacement. That's what he's been the past few years.

Again, it's not a lot, but it's something. After seeing Dickerson play, I'm just not convinced Dickerson was going to be the answer if/when Gomez fails. This is basically a wash.

Why is he not even making the major league club in New York?

He was traded Friday. The Yankees have already announced that he's not making the 25-man?

http://espn.go.com/blog/n...st/_/id/13668/mitre-gone

I'm sure things can change, heck Granderson's leg could reinjure. But as of that posting, that's all I had been hearing. Scranton, Scranton, Scranton.

I will eat my hat if 4 or 5 players exactly like Mitre don't show up on waivers in a week and could have been claimed for free.

Loe, Egan, Segovia and Green are all similar pitchers to Mitre and we've gotten all of them either from the Rule V or minor league deals in the past two years.

Plan A: Logan Schafer when he returns from his broken thumb.

Plan B: Trade

Plan C: Caleb Gindl

I guess I don't see how Gomez could be any worse of a burden on offense than Escobar was last year. I'm more worried about pitching than a backup OF.

Plan D: Ocho Cinco
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I will eat my hat if 4 or 5 players exactly like Mitre don't show up on waivers in a week and could have been claimed for free.

Loe, Egan, Segovia and Green are all similar pitchers to Mitre and we've gotten all of them either from the Rule V or minor league deals in the past two years.

Yeah, I think the point of this trade was just that we needed to get rid of an outfielder, and the Yankees needed to drop a pitcher. Nothing more to it really, just added a need for both teams. I would think that if Doug and Ron were planning on keeping Dickerson long-term, that he wouldn't have been traded. It didn't initially come off that way to any of us, but I'd have to think that is the case.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived