Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Acquire RHP Sergio Mitre from NYY for Chris Dickerson

crewcrazy
toolivebrew- good call- couldn't agree with you more. looking around the league there are a lot of guys battling for that fifth rotation spot that i'm sure would be better than Mitre that if Melvin was set on dishing out Dickerson- we could've got for.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WE have our fair share of reserve outfielders who are not really every going to be more than that. We have had a run of injuries on pitchers which happens to be a place we are lacking depth. Sometimes the trade, even if lopsided talent wise on paper, can lead to more wins in reality. That assumes this is lopsided which I am not sure it is.

We also just traded away Braun's best friend on the team, which probably won't make him happy either.

I'm sure this was more or less an off handed comment so take the snarkyness of my response as seriously as I mean it to be. Which is to say not at all.

I use this thing called a phone to talk to friends I don't see every day. It works pretty well so the need to have my friends at work every day is somewhat less necessary. My Guess is Braun knows of this technology and is willing to use it to keep in touch without anger or sorrow if it means a better chance of winning more games than a backup outfielder would offer.

In all seriousness though friendships should not have the slightest effect on personnel decisions. Friendships are personal. Personnel decisions are professional.

Um, ok. I'm not an idiot. You don't have to explain to me how baseball and friendships work, lol. I'm just saying that he probably isn't happy about it. I bet if someone asked him he would also say it's business, and I agree, but that isn't to say that he'll be happy to see his friend leave. The guy he drives to the ballpark with everyday and all that. He'll get over it I'm sure, but I guarantee he won't be happy. Dickerson won't be either. He would've been the 4th outfielder on this team, and he'll likely spend most of the season in AAA with the Yankees. Bummer for him definitely. I think Mitre is a good addition, but I hope we get Morgan. I really don't think Reed and Boggs will get the job done for us.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

looking around the league there are a lot of guys battling for that fifth rotation spot that i'm sure would be better than Mitre that if Melvin was set on dishing out Dickerson

I seroiuysly doubt Melvin thought there as a better option available for Dickerson. If there was and he didn't get him it would mean Melvin only talked to the Yankees and didn't even bother talking to said teams about those options. That, to me, is pretty far fetched.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Here are some comments from the NYYFans forum's discussion on the deal (NYYFans is a good comp. to Brewerfan, but obv. for the Yanks):

- I would take anything in return...even if it means paying Prince Fielders buffet tab. (comment made before return was known)

- I literally said "Thank God" when I saw this thread.

- Milwaukee? Would have accepted beer in return. It didn't even have to be cold.

- They actually got a decent baseball player for Mitre? Nice job by Cashman.

- Thanks Sergio for your 2009 services. What a lightning in a bottle we had with Sergio Mitre in 2009.

For Scranton? Dickerson isn't even good enough to make the Yankees MLB roster

I'm not sure you're familiar with the Yankees' roster. Gardner, Granderson, & Swisher are the only sure things. Dickerson & Andruw Jones are likely to be the two reserves they keep. At the very worst, they picked up very useful LH-hitting CF/OF depth for a pitcher they were probably going to release.

I seroiuysly doubt Melvin thought there as a better option available for Dickerson.

He thinks Mark Kotsay is a good option, so be careful using that term http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yuck, Mitre is awful. He doesn't qualify as depth in my book. You have to have some ability to qualify as depth of any sort. That said, I don't really care about the players traded one way or another because if we're relying on Dickerson or Mitre for any significant contribution the season is in trouble. The most troubling part to me is why the deal was made. I'm concerned that either or both Greinke and Marcum might have a bigger injury issues than we were lead to believe.

How does Mitre compare to Dave Bush? Bush is still available and wouldn't cost anything. If Mitre is better than Bush then I'm ok with this trade. If not, it's a bit of a head scratcher.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Dickerson would have been optioned once Hart returned. Dickerson was vastly overrated by many on this board. Gomez' sterling spring also made Dickerson more expendable. Reed simply beat him out. It's not that complicated. We'll see how it works out but they needed a swing man like Mitre.

Mitre is a good pickup. Especially with Parra shut down.

I think it is more likely they offered both Reed and Dickerson and the Yanks picked the better guy. Better defense, younger and at least shown a little offense at some point even if he hasn't sustained it. Mitre is pretty terrible but as a depth guy and swing man he'll work. Nice groundball rate, good control, gives up way too many HR, doesn't strike anyone out. He is like a poor mans Dave Bush with more experience in the pen.

How does Mitre compare to Dave Bush

i think its close but I'd give Bush an edge because while he had his stinkers he would pitch out of his mind from time to time. It always seemed like he would have one bad inning per start and Macha and Yost always kept him in too long. I always like Bush but understood why he wasn't brought back with the pickups.

Yuck, Mitre is awful. He doesn't qualify as depth in my book. You have to have some ability to qualify as depth of any sort. That said, I don't really care about the players traded one way or another because if we're relying on Dickerson or Mitre for any significant contribution the season is in trouble. The most troubling part to me is why the deal was made. I'm concerned that either or both Greinke and Marcum might have a bigger injury issues than we were lead to believe.

What's awful about a 3.33 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP and holding opposing hitters to a .223 BA? That's what he did last year in the AL East.

Seriously Dickerson was in serious danger of being optioned as soon as Hart returned from DL. Dickerson is not an established major league player. He's borderline at best. Lo Cain passed him up on the depth chart with no problem last year. No way would he have been considered the #4 outfielder. Kotsay was going to start in place of Hart on opening day before this deal was made. Dickerson was insurance in case of complete failure by Gomez, who's had a terrific spring. Mitre wasn't horrible the year he started regularly for the Marlins.

Gomez' sterling spring also made Dickerson more expendable.

Yeah. That huge, breakout .320 OBP season is surely right around the corner for Gomez now that he had a huge ST. ST stats always are a good indicator.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Career .312 BABIP, last years .222. A groundball pitcher with mediocre stuff and a .222 BABIP is just variance. If there is anything to point to about last year it is that he finally had a league average LOB% which is something he has always struggled with the past, it might be due to the same variance as the BABIP though. Mitre didn't show improvement last year, he just had a little luck with his ERA which is more or less a worthless stat over 50 IP. I don't mind adding Mitre but you shouldn't put much if anything into last years ERA for him.

As for Dickerson, no he isn't that great. He is however a marginal backup and that sounds good compared to Reed who probably isn't a major league backup quality player or Kotsay who shouldn't be on a roster.

What's awful about a 3.33 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP and holding opposing hitters to a .223 BA? That's what he did last year in the AL East.

And that was on a .228 BABIP, when opponents have average a .315 BABIP against him for his career. It's highly unlikely he can repeat that.

With that said, he does do some things well. He's not going to strike anyone out, but his changeup looks like a decent pitch, and he is a ground ball pitcher. I'd probably still prefer Estrada makes the necessary spot starts until Greinke gets back, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

JohnBriggs12[/b]]What's awful about a 3.33 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP and holding opposing hitters to a .223 BA? That's what he did last year in the AL East.

Nothing is awful about that, but I was actually looking at the other 360 innings he's pitched in his career with a 1.5 whip. Like I said I really don't care either way that he's on the team as a 5-6th starter/ long reliever. In that capacity he's fine, however I'm just concerned that this is showing a little desperation on the Brewers part and that things on the injury front might be slightly worse than they appear.

I don't see it as a desperation move by the Brewers. Marco Estrada is entirely unproven. Mitre pitched very well in a tough division last year. Per Brewerfan.net rules, I don't want to repeat myself over & over again but, again, pitching depth in a playoff contending team is of the utmost importance.

Seriously Dickerson was in serious danger of being optioned as soon as Hart returned from DL. Dickerson is not an established major league player. He's borderline at best. Lo Cain passed him up on the depth chart with no problem last year. No way would he have been considered the #4 outfielder. Kotsay was going to start in place of Hart on opening day before this deal was made. Dickerson was insurance in case of complete failure by Gomez, who's had a terrific spring. Mitre wasn't horrible the year he started regularly for the Marlins.

Agreed. I am pretty neutral on Dickerson, but i have noticed a Keith Ginter-like admiration for him on this board. Mitre will be serviceable, and provides depth for both the starting pitching, and long relief. We can always find another backup outfielder. Is he our solution for the rotation? No, but he will be solid for 3-4 innings if someone goes down early in a game.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Yikes. I started reading some of the bile here about this trade and thought "what, did they trade Weeks for him or something?"

This is Dickerson we're talking about. He's 29 years old in a couple of weeks and has done absolutely nothing as a backup OF

over the last two years.In fact, looking at the numbers he put up over that time (even taking into account the small sample size) the

word that comes to mind is "yuck". I'm not excited about Mitre, but I'm also not unhappy to see the back of Dickerson.

According to a source quoted by Jerry Crasnick at ESPN, the Yanks will send him straight to AAA. It sounds like, from their

perspective, it's nothing more than a salary dump of a player who was otherwise going to be cut. It also seems like Melvin

wanted to take a flyer on him and knew Dickerson wasn't going to make the team anyway.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares that much...

BritInWI wrote:

This is Dickerson we're talking about. He's 29 years old in a couple of weeks and has done absolutely nothing as a backup OF

over the last two years.In fact, looking at the numbers he put up over that time (even taking into account the small sample size) the

word that comes to mind is "yuck". I'm not excited about Mitre, but I'm also not unhappy to see the back of Dickerson

The .356 OBP Dickerson has put up over his small sample is better than we can probably expect from Gomez. Much, much better with slightly worse defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll raise my hand as a Dickerson defender, but I never pimped him over being anything but a decent #4 OFer. He only had about 1 full season's worth of ABs (~430), but was more "established" than Boggs. Reed is more "established" than Dickerson, but at a hellish 666 OPS (pun intended).

I don't consider any of our backup OFers as a major part of this team and Mitre and Morgan don't really excite me at all either...

Archived