Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Acquire RHP Sergio Mitre from NYY for Chris Dickerson

crewcrazy

Dickerson would have been optioned once Hart returned. Dickerson was vastly overrated by many on this board. Gomez' sterling spring also made Dickerson more expendable. Reed simply beat him out. It's not that complicated. We'll see how it works out but they needed a swing man like Mitre.

Mitre is a good pickup. Especially with Parra shut down.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dickerson would have been optioned once Hart returned. Dickerson was vastly overrated by many on this board. Gomez' sterling spring also made Dickerson more expendable and while he was healthy, Schafer made a good impression too.

Mitre is a good pickup. Especially with Parra shut down.

Exactly. To paraphrase Lou Brown, "Dickerson may look like Dave Parker, but he hits like..". Both Boggs and Reed are better options in my view. What did people see in Dickerson that made them think he was an elite backup outfielder? The 5 extra base hits in roughly 100 plate appearances in a Brewers uniform? Supposedly, he has 'pop', but I haven't seen it. As I've said, in my opinion, he was AAAA fodder, as evidenced by the fact that the Yankees are sending him to Scranton.

Its always easier to find backup outfielders than it is to find pitching depth. We went from having zero pitching depth with credible MLB experience to now having a little depth with Mitre, plus he's someone with alot of MLB bullpen experience...

As nice as a backup as Dickerson might be, I still think the Brewers got the best of this trade. Its a long season, having pitching depth is extremely important

I just hope this transaction doesn't mean that Marcum is going to be out of action too in that Melvin and the staff are seriously concerned about that balky right shoulder as the reason for making this trade. Having Narveson, Estrada, and Mitre as your 3,4, and 5 starters while Greinke is out makes me want to cry......

I wish the World Baseball Classic was this spring so that the season start could be delayed.....

As for Morgan, I'm a little skeptical. I'm not worried about the fact that he is a 'clubhouse cancer', but the Nationals tend to ask for the moon in trades (I'm still laughing about them asking for Weeks for Chad Cordero). I wonder what their definition of 'giving him away' is.... Eric Farris or something? I'm not sure if I'd give up Parra for him either. I'm sure that other teams will be in the mix as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...r-Morgan-?urn=mlb-336977

Found this article, which says that the Nats are looking to "give away" Morgan. So hopefully we get him for almost nothing.

Nyjer had multiple anger/fight/brawling episodes toward the end of last season (memory lane link). I could see him being a "giveaway" candidate, but am not fully sold on the Brewers taking him.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FYI -- Mitre will make $900,000 in 2011 with an additional $200,000 possible in performance bonuses. He has no minor league options left and will be eligible for free agency after this season (with a nice year might net a supplemental draft pick).

To me, we just got back a slightly less expensive Carlos Villanueva, and that seems fair -- I wasn't on the Dickerson bandwagon. First true long relief option on staff...

I really, really, really don't understand why Melvin made this move. Mitre is exactly the kind of player that's available on the waiver wire once teams make their final moves to get the 25-man rosters set.

And we gave up a cost-controlled, RHP-favoring, strong defensive CF to get him? I hate you right now, Doug. And that.

On a different note, nice pickup by the Yankees.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

On a different note, nice pickup by the Yankees.

For Scranton? Dickerson isn't even good enough to make the Yankees MLB roster, and yet many here wanted Dickerson to start for the Brewers in a playoff run, or be a platoon starter... and the Yankees aren't even the Yankees this year, its conceivable they finish 3rd in their division

If Mitre is the 6th starter he will probably get something like 20 starts over the year if he is healthy because of injuries to other pitchers. That said, what the hell Doug? What happened to this?

"If you don't make right decision," Melvin says, "it can really cost

you. And in our division, where we think it can be won or lost by one to

three games, that's an important thing."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

WE have our fair share of reserve outfielders who are not really every going to be more than that. We have had a run of injuries on pitchers which happens to be a place we are lacking depth. Sometimes the trade, even if lopsided talent wise on paper, can lead to more wins in reality. That assumes this is lopsided which I am not sure it is.

We also just traded away Braun's best friend on the team, which probably won't make him happy either.

I'm sure this was more or less an off handed comment so take the snarkyness of my response as seriously as I mean it to be. Which is to say not at all.

I use this thing called a phone to talk to friends I don't see every day. It works pretty well so the need to have my friends at work every day is somewhat less necessary. My Guess is Braun knows of this technology and is willing to use it to keep in touch without anger or sorrow if it means a better chance of winning more games than a backup outfielder would offer.

In all seriousness though friendships should not have the slightest effect on personnel decisions. Friendships are personal. Personnel decisions are professional.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived