Brewer Fanatic

Some Scouts Think Brewers Could Be "Awful"

HOF4canrake
I'm gonna just come right out and say it: Gammons probably just wrote this up real quick without even consulting with "some scouts". Since the Brewers aren't an East Coast team, they could go 102-60 and Gammons still wouldn't be impressed with them

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to me, an "awful" season would be 90+ losses, so if the Brewers finish 72-90 or worse, then, yes, they will be awful. Anything between 73-89 and making the playoffs would just be a disappointment.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Hindsight is 20/20, my friend. If I remember correctly, Bonds wasn't even in the mix for the #1 pick back then.
This is my point, who cares what some scouts think because they are usually wrong. If no one thought Bonds was in the mix for #1 pick then everyone who decided on "the mix" was wrong, just like these 3 nameless idiots.

Apparently the USA Today Baseball preview edition came out today, and we were picked 4th in the NL Central behind the Reds, Cards, and Cubs. I think it was based on these scouts too. TH mentioned it in his blog this morning. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118703744.html
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Apparently the USA Today Baseball preview edition came out today, and we were picked 4th in the NL Central behind the Reds, Cards, and Cubs. I think it was based on these scouts too. TH mentioned it in his blog this morning. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118703744.html
Ouch. But I don't put much stock in the words of one unnamed scout.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Finally, I'm back in my comfort zone with scouts predicting an awful year for the Brewers. I don't really put a whole lot of stock into unnamed scouts predictions for a team. I'm guessing outside of the obvious bottom feeders, you will be able to find different scouts that think any given team is going to be really good and really bad at the same time. My guess is Gammons just happened to talk to a few of the scouts who have jumped off the bandwagon since the injuries. There is no doubt that the injuries have put a bit of damper on the excitement for this team but there is a lot of talent on the Brewers and if they can stay relatively healthy for the bulk of season, they should be at least a playoff contender going into September.

I would like to know if these "scouts" are aware of the Reds injuries as well. This means nothing. Projections and non east coast baseball experts have the Brewers at the top or near the top. If Gomez or Yuni exceed expectations the Brewers could run away with the division considering the other teams injuries. I think the Reds are the team that should be worried about a collapse. Cubs have way too many holes to be considered with the other three teams. Anyone who thinks the Cubs are better than the Brewers this year would think Butler could make the final four two years in row. Oh wait. . .

I could see it. Hart and Lucroy likely start on the DL, Greinke will start on the DL, Marcum is already having shoulder issues. The defense is awful. We have five hitters in the lineup followed by three liabilities and the pitcher.

I personally would be shocked to see 85 wins. I'm predicting 83 and wouldn't be shocked at all with like 79 or 80.

Waaaait a second. You're predicting 83 wins, but over the course of 162 games, knowing baseball as well as you do, you'd be "shocked" to see that win total move to 85?

That's like saying there's no WAY Greinke will get 17 wins...I think he'll get 16.

Anyway, to your points, Lucroy and Hart may well start on the DL, and both should be back very soon. Grienke's injury is a short term deal and not one that should linger for any reason. Marcum's a little more concerning, but he's confident it's not a big deal.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

First, I don't believe the unnamed scouts are correct, but it could go south pretty quickly if the starters continue to go down, and what if Roenicke turns out to be really bad...as bad as our defense? I'm just saying it doesn't seem impossible, just improbable.

You know what? With all the injuries we have been having this spring I kinda like it in some sick way. The media and even some fans are already off the bandwagon, shoving us under the table. Some of the preseason hype has faded as well...and we haven't even played ONE meaningful game yet.

Baseball is a long season I think we will be fine and in the hunt as long as we can at least be 100% healthy towards mid to end of May. I would rather have this team start out in shambles and finish strong.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Honestly, there are aspects about the Cubs that are pretty impressive, and in any analysis, you could make a case for 1-2-3-4 in the division. I believe Baseball America has Cincinnati 4th, so where's the respect there? The 4th place prediction by USA Today isn't so much an insult, but the whole "awful" comment indicated here doesn't make sense.

Anyone that has listened to Chicago talk radio much is likely familiar with a caller that goes by "Stan from Bellwood". This guy may be the most informed baseball caller I've ever heard on talk radio. Baseball is his sport 24/7, 12 months a year.

Yesterday he was on and picked the Brewers to win the Central by a relatively comfortable margin with only the Reds as serious competitors. He pointed out that all the Brewer injuries were relatively minor and he wasn't buying into some of the doomsday people that were focusing on these minor injuries.

I may point out, he's not a Brewers fan. He's a White Sox fan, but he follows the game closely and knows his stuff.

1. If picking between Vegas and Gammons, Vegas is always right.

2. I also think this could be the Pirates scouts chatter. I feel like I've read a lot of negative Brewer news over the past two weeks and at the same time hearing A LOT about how this is finally the year that the Pirates break .500. Maybe it is just me, but I've read numerous articles saying that Pedro Alvereaz, Jose Tabata et al are going to dominate. Even if those two are great, along with McCutcheon, I'm not sure they have much else; oh rights, Overbay and Ronny Cedeno I know spring breeds hope, but they are still trotting out there Maholm, Ohlendorf and Chad Morton.

Our stats have been decent this spring from the guys that matter, so I don't quite get this. Maybe the negativity is good; maybe it is because the manager is new; maybe it will be gone if we take two of three at Cinci, but still unclear where it is coming from...doesn't seem merited.

Formerly Andersoc420

Apparently the USA Today Baseball preview edition came out today, and we were picked 4th in the NL Central

It could be worse, it appears that the AZ Diamondbacks no longer even exist:

http://www.usatoday.com/s...ague-west-capsules_N.htm

Haha, that's awesome.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived