Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo question

DHonks

Going back to his scouting video before the draft, I've always been amazed at how Gallardo tends to strike guys out looking on fastballs. Can anyone give an explanation as to why this is so?

I guess I always noticed K's from pitchers--at least going back to Sheets' knack for striking guys out on the high cheese (despite all the attention most gave to his curveball)

I still give credit to the good curve ball because he is probably good at throwing the fastball when hitters may be looking for the curve...or maybe they might be taking because he throws a lot of balls and they have a better chance of walking than hitting his stuff.

His release point for his fastball is probably the same as his curveball. That in it's self is very deceptive.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator
I agree with the fangraphs article but I think the scouting report may contribute as well. The book on Gallardo is to work the count and get his pitch count up. Gallardo needs to counter by staying ahead in the count and avoiding walks.

Sure enough, I was at the game today and counted 5 Yo strikeouts looking. One was a high changeup (something he's been working on, since he's pretty much abandoned it since the knee injury), the other 4 fastballs

Archived