Brewer Fanatic

Heading to Cincinnati for Opening Day

BuckyBrewer61

With Opening Day slowly, slowly approaching, Topper09er and I have booked our flight to Cincinnati to watch the Brewers start their historic 173-game winning streak.

So, who can help us with details about the city? Where is the place to be before the games? Is there tailgating? Bars around the stadium? Where are the places to go out after the games?

How about on the off day Friday? Are there places to be sure not to miss in town? Restaurants? Bars?

We're from Milwaukee. We like bars.

I am not Shea Vucinich

We were able to tailgate when we went in April 08. It was a smaller parking lot and it was actually mostly Brewer fans but it was close enough to walk to the stadium. As for places to go out, this was talked about in another thread but I'm not sure which. Cincy doesn't offer a whole lot of night life but if you go across the bridge to Kentucky (5 minute or so cab ride), there's a great German beer hall. We were only there for a night but this is where we spent it.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I remember going to Cincinnati in 2003-ish (final year before GAB opened) and we were able to tailgate in a small lot near the stadium. We didn't see any big lots, just numerous small lots. (Things might have changed since then.) No one else was really tailgating in our lot, and we heard a passer-by say to his kid, "Son, that's called tailgating". Felt like we were an exhibit at the zoo. We were proud.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'm going with 2 friends. We're heading down Friday and staying through Sunday's game. Two of us have been to Cincy previously (about 6 years ago or so) for one night. We didn't experience much nightlife around downtown or the stadium. 3 places we went to: Rock Bottom after the game, saw Turnbow and Maddux there; hotel bar (in the Hyatt I believe); and a dive bar in an alley that was perfect for our desires, as we enjoy dive bars. Looking at Google Maps, I'm pretty sure it is O'Malley's in the Alley, between 3rd and 4th, and Race and Vine. We're going to try to go there again after Saturday's game probably. Since we're staying at the Travelodge in Newport across the river (anyone else?), Friday night we're hanging out at the aforementioned Hofbrauhaus, amongst others we find in the vicinity. If anyone wants to meet up and talk Brewers, just give me a tweet @dikapalooza.

Archived