Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Brett Carroll from Royals for cash -- minor league deal only

Team Canada

Just saw this on brewers.com:

The Brewers' crowded outfield apparently soon could be getting even more packed.

The Kansas City Star reported on Tuesday night that the Brewers had acquired Brett Carroll from the Royals for cash considerations.

The Brewers currently have five outfielders in camp who are on the 40-man roster and three others, including veteran Jeremy Reed, in Spring Training as non-roster invitees.

Neither organization confirmed the deal.

The Brewers' 40-man roster is full, so the organization would have to make a corresponding transaction to create an opening for Carroll.

Carroll, recently optioned to Triple-A by the Royals, spent parts of the past four seasons with the Marlins, batting .205 (58-for-283) with five home runs and 28 RBIs in 173 games.

The Royals signed the 28-year old as a free agent on Nov. 16, 2010.

Why?

What in the world is going on? The last position we need to add players for is OF. The only reason I can think of is that we plan on losing one of our outfielders on waivers or something and we need depth at AAA. Or maybe we are trading an outfielder for pitching. It's still a confusing move.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers' 40-man roster is full, so the organization would have to make a corresponding transaction to create an opening for Carroll.

That's just bad reporting by Jim Street of MLB.com. Carroll was in Royals' camp on a minor league deal as a non-roster player before he was assigned to their minor league camp last week. There are no 40-man roster implications here at all. Carroll will be in a Nashville uniform to begin the minor league season.

FYI -- Brett Carroll's career statistics

"Don’t think there’s a better throwing arm in the game right now." -- LINK

This may mean a few things. One possibly good thing is that Dickerson and Boggs are both making the team and Kotsay is being let go and they want some depth at AAA (though not sure how much actual depth Carroll provides, maybe just a body). The other possibility is that they think Boggs will be picked up by somebody off waivers and so he won't be in AAA.

This may mean a few things. One possibly good thing is that Dickerson and Boggs are both making the team and Kotsay is being let go and they want some depth at AAA (though not sure how much actual depth Carroll provides, maybe just a body). The other possibility is that they think Boggs will be picked up by somebody off waivers and so he won't be in AAA.

I believe it means just the opposite. Dickerson and Boggs are both going to be placed on waivers and Reed will be added to the roster. That creates an opening at AAA. If Dickerson and/or Boggs clears and accepts an assignment, they'll just let Carroll (0 for 15, 6 K's this spring) go.

Kotsay will be in the lineup on opening day. He is in no jeopardy whatsoever.

I believe it means just the opposite. Dickerson and Boggs are both going to be placed on waivers and Reed will be added to the roster. That creates an opening at AAA.

I don't think that happens and I sure hope it doesn't happen.

I believe it means just the opposite. Dickerson and Boggs are both going to be placed on waivers and Reed will be added to the roster. That creates an opening at AAA.

I don't think that happens and I sure hope it doesn't happen.

Get used to the idea, because that's what's happening. Reed's won a job. Kotsay had a job that was his to lose and he didn't lose it. Almonte's also won a job. The 25th man comes down to either Cruz, one of the two OF (Boggs or Dickerson) or carrying a 3rd catcher initially. There's also the issue whether Hart starts the year on the DL. In that case they'll keep either Boggs or Dickerson. Either way, they were going to be short a guy at AAA because of Reed not being there.

^Am I out of the loop? To start on opening day, Kotsay would need to start at CF, unless Hart is unhealthy, which seems somewhat unlikely. It looks like he'll be on the roster (unfortunately) but having him start on opening day would be terrible.

I think you can pretty much bank on Hart starting the season on the DL, even if its just til April 6 if they don't play him in a spring training game. I just don't see how Reed makes it over Dickerson and/or Boggs. Dickerson and Reed are both lefties, but Dickerson is a plus defender and has more pop in his bat. Boggs is a switch hitter and probably a better defender. Just from watching the televised games this spring, Reed appears to have lost a step (at least) and has a poor arm. Can't say I disagree about Kotsay (for whatever reason appears to be a lock), but I'm not saying I like it - especially if they start him over Dickerson on opening day.

^Am I out of the loop? To start on opening day, Kotsay would need to start at CF, unless Hart is unhealthy, which seems somewhat unlikely. It looks like he'll be on the roster (unfortunately) but having him start on opening day would be terrible.

You're out of the loop. Hart's not going to be ready on opening day. There's just not enough time to get him enough AB's.

As for my point that both Reed and Almonte have won jobs, look at the math. Reed has 57 ABs this spring to 34 for Dickerson. If Dickerson was going to make the team, he'd be getting a lot more AB's. You don't give that many AB's (Almonte has 58) to get guys ready for AAA.

By the way Kottaras has won the backup catching job too.

Dickerson's lack of AB has more to do with a couple small injuries than anything else. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't make the roster. Hopefully they realize Kotsay is useless and release him.

I think you can pretty much bank on Hart starting the season on the DL, even if its just til April 6 if they don't play him in a spring training game. I just don't see how Reed makes it over Dickerson and/or Boggs. Dickerson and Reed are both lefties, but Dickerson is a plus defender and has more pop in his bat. Boggs is a switch hitter and probably a better defender. Just from watching the televised games this spring, Reed appears to have lost a step (at least) and has a poor arm. Can't say I disagree about Kotsay (for whatever reason appears to be a lock), but I'm not saying I like it - especially if they start him over Dickerson on opening day.

I'd argue your point about Dickerson having more pop in his bat. He's had slightly more pop than Reed in the majors. But Reed has a .467 career slugging percentage in the minors to Dickerson's .420. He may be a better defender, but Reed is adequate and Gomez won't come out of games for defense anyway.

Can't say I disagree about Kotsay (for whatever reason appears to be a lock), but I'm not saying I like it - especially if they start him over Dickerson on opening day.

C'mon Melvin. Get Kotsay on the All-Star ballot. Make it happen.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Can't say I disagree about Kotsay (for whatever reason appears to be a lock), but I'm not saying I like it - especially if they start him over Dickerson on opening day.

C'mon Melvin. Get Kotsay on the All-Star ballot. Make it happen.

Hey, having someone start in place of Corey Hart worked for him last year!

JB12 - you would have to think defense will play a roll on who they decide to keep as the back up CF in case Gomez flops at some point (fingers crossed that he doesn't, really pulling for him)...
I had forgot Dickerson has an option. He'll likely make the opening day roster if Hart starts on DL. Then when Hart returns, they'll option him. That solves your problem in case Gomez flops.

Briggs Sorry, but there's no way Dickerson doesn't make the roster over Reed. Either way, they both can play at AAA. Dickerson has an option, and Reed is on a minor league deal. The only guy we can lose is Boggs. And number of ab's don't mean anything in ST. Dickerson having less ab's than Reed is because he missed time due to injury, and because his spot is already guaranteed. That's also why Kotsay's ab's are down. People can say it's a competition all they want, but Dickerson has had a leg up the whole time, and nothing has changed. He's got a spot locked down. The competition now is for the extra spot created by Hart being hurt, or if we decide to get rid of Kotsay, which I don't see happening. Reed has a shot to make the team, but it's not gonna be over Dickerson.

I'll be really disappointed if Reed makes the team over Boggs. Reed seems like nothing more than a AAAA guy who has been pretty brutal batting in MLB... I don't get the Kotsay thing either. They should have just kept Joe Inglett (though I know that has been gone over many times here)

I'll be really disappointed if Reed makes the team over Boggs. Reed seems like nothing more than a AAAA guy who has been pretty brutal batting in MLB... I don't get the Kotsay thing either. They should have just kept Joe Inglett (though I know that has been gone over many times here)
Yeah, completely agree with you. Reed has proven he can't hit in the majors, why not give someone else a shot? Also, Inglett would've been a great guy to have right now, oh well...

My guess is that Kotsay will be the starting RF until Hart comes back and will then be the #1 backup corner OF / #1 LH bat off the bench / backup 1B (please never be needed here). He's been batting in the #3-5 spot in the lineup for most of the ST games, so for some reason the Brewers brass certainly think higher of him than most here do. I think Dickerson will be at least "soft platooned" with Gomez in CF. He came in with a spot pretty well locked up, and he's done nothing this spring to lose that spot.

In my mind, the real battle is who will be the RH bat on the bench between Boggs (switch-hitter), Almonte & Cruz. Hart to the DL will probably allow us to keep two for a short period. I certainly hope Reed doesn't make the cut, as we don't need three LH backup OFs on the team. I've become kind of indifferent to which of Boggs/Almonte/Cruz we keep. We need all the minor league depth we can get, and since we'd lose Boggs and Cruz if they don't make the 25-man, I guess that would be a good way to go, even though Almonte has been killing the ball all spring.

To the topic of the thread, if Carroll ends up getting any significant playing time for the Brewers, I would think we'd better start shopping Prince, because the season's pretty much over.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't know why Kotsay would start over Dickerson unless there is a LH pitcher on the mound. Then again I don't know why Kotsay is taking a roster space away from another player and costing the Brewers more with each at bat.

Archived