Brewer Fanatic

Opening Days in Cincinnati (and Milwaukee) -- Weather Watch

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

If you're like me, you've already scheduled your day off for the home opener in Miller Park on April 4th, when weather is no factor.

The season opener in Cincinnati on Thursday, March 31st is a bit trickier, because there is a built-in rain make-up day on Friday, April 1st. You want to be off for that first game afternoon as well.

With that in mind, we'll pin this link to Cincinnati's ten-day forecast here until just before Opening Day. So far, so good, but it's still ten days away as of this post.

I'm watching this extra closely, as I've planned to go to this game. Of course, I didn't plan on taking the day off, booking flghts, finding tickets, only to see Gallardo, but oh well.

I'm flying home Thursday night, so it's Thursday or nothing for me.

I live 2 hours from the stadium. I will keep an eye on the local forecast, and if I can, provide some additional info in regards to the weather that day. Just an FYI, I wouldn't even look at the 10 day forecast for any city in OH, because that is way to far out and it's usually way off base. The weather in Ohio changes so rapidly it's not even funny.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator
It looks good right now, with cold temperatures and rain early in the week with drying and warming by Thursday 3/31. At this point it is hard to decipher more than the general trends, but the period looks relatively calm for late March and there is a good chance of the dry forecast verifying. Temperatures are likely to be below normal, however.

Don't jinx the weather like you do no hitters Mass http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. So far you're safe, yesterday it said 52 and rainy. Today it's 55 and sunny. So, by my calculations it will be in the mid-70s and clear by the 31st.

I will be there, regardless of the conditions. Four of us are making the road trip to celebrate my brother's 40th birthday. We're turning around and coming home the very next day, so a rainout will be unacceptable. We too were hoping for Greinke, but still happy to see Gallardo.

So far you're safe, yesterday it said 52 and rainy. Today it's 55 and sunny. So, by my calculations it will be in the mid-70s and clear by the 31st.

Let's not get greedy, remember pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

No rain. No rain. No rain.

Community Moderator

Forecast hasn't changed, still looks dry and mostly sunny like it did a few days ago. Highs in the upper 40s-low 50s. In fact, there should be no major rain problems for the entire weekend series with temperatures getting close to 60 by Sunday.

Watch out for those automated "10-day" forecasts like on the Weather Channel site, they are just generated by a computer program. The only forecast that I trust is here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
48 and sunny now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

how is it that 48 and sunny feels like 70 at this time of year? In fall 48 and sunny means a day stuck in the house for me.

For me, it's all being accustomed to the weather. After dealing with a long stretch of cold, 48 does sound nice - except for hitting something of the end of the bat.

Community Moderator

Still looking good although a system that was originally expected to move up the east cost will make a closer pass on Thursday. It could bring some clouds and possibly a shower but nothing that would affect the game.

As for the home opener, it's hard to believe that the roof was open last year because this year it will be in the 40s with a chance of rain. Too early to tell if it will be a washout or just a few passing showers.

The national Weather Service says the home opener will be around 45 with only a 20% chance of rain, I'll take that pretty much every home opener.

Definitely. I was referring to the rain. I've seen several early forecasts that show much of the state under some precip for early next week. I've been to every home opener since MP opened, and from what I remember (it is the home opener we are talking about here), we have been very lucky as far as rain goes (knocking in wood). Last year was just ridiculous.

Last year was just wrong. The first couple MP openers were brutal.

Unfortunately we are due for another stinker soon.

The word that scares me in the current forecast is "breezy".

Community Moderator
It will likely be very breezy on Monday. A low pressure system is expected to move right through Wisconsin. Most of the precip will be confined to northern WI but I still think there is a chance of heavier rain showers on Monday morning if the forecast track and/or timing of the low change.

Tomorrow's weather is expected to be nice, like MH noted, but they just dodged the bullet. Adam McCalvy posted a picture from Great American Ballpark today:

http://mlblogsbrewersbeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/gabp-snow.jpg?w=555&h=416

If you go to the blog entry & click on the picture, it links to the full-size version. You can tell how ugly the conditions there are today from that bigger view.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived