Brewer Fanatic

Big 10 to start hockey conference in 2013

berniebrewer4life
Community Moderator

I've noticed that some of the loyal hockey fans at USCHO have an inferiority complex about hockey's place in college sports. Even many of the Wisconsin fans on there already disliked Barry Alvarez and the hockey conference just adds more fuel to the fire. Barry's never done anything detrimental to Wisconsin hockey or college hockey in general. He simply has made decisions based on college hockey's rightful place as the #3 sport, far far behind football and basketball. The rise of Wisconsin athletics over the past 20 years is unparalleled anywhere in the country and Barry has kept the momentum going. On top of that, Wisconsin has 2 recent appearances in the National Championship game and continues to be #1 in hockey attendance.

The whole purpose of the Big Ten hockey conference is to bring more attention and more money to college hockey. It's the Big Ten! The value of the brand name alone is worth the deal. It also symbolizes expansion of the sport--an upgrade from 2 to 3 major conferences means that more smaller schools get a chance to compete on the big stage. The other 2 conferences still have plenty of good programs left. It gets more college hockey games on National TV. It may even...gasp...make hockey profitable!

The most legitimate gripe comes from fans of the other WCHA/CCHA schools that are concerned about getting left out. To them, it looks like the big schools are grouping together and leaving them all behind. However, some of their fears just seem ridiculous. Wisconsin is never going to play a non-conference road game again? Smaller schools will fold up their hockey programs? This is the end of the CCHA? Those are some major overreactions.

Barry's never done anything detrimental to Wisconsin hockey or college hockey in general.

Why has the coverage of hockey tanked so badly in recent years then? Minnesota still televises many games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why has the coverage of hockey tanked so badly in recent years then?

Do the Bucks have anything to do with this? It seems like every time I want to see a Badger Hockey game, there is instead a Bucks game on. I know Minnesota has the TWolves, but hockey is huge in Minnesota and the University of Minnesota is located in the same direct area as the TWolves. UW is not in a major (or more major) market like the Bucks are.

The Bucks want a lot of Friday and Saturday nights at home to help attendance. The Bucks used to have games on WCGV in just the Milwaukee area but now they're only on FSN. IIRC once the Bucks went solely to FSN, Badger coverage went to crap.

Barry's never done anything detrimental to Wisconsin hockey or college hockey in general.

Why has the coverage of hockey tanked so badly in recent years then? Minnesota still televises many games.

Minnesota has always had a larger number of televised hockey games. They even televise a lot of high school hockey during the regular season. I think that area is just a lot more into hockey than the majority of people in WI.

As long as Wisconsin still plays NDU, CC and the like, I don't have a big problem. Television coverage would be nice also. But I still think the WCHA has the better programs, if not about even. UM, Michigan, State, and WI vs. CC, Denver, UMD, and NDU. Plus St Cloud has put together a respectable program. Wisconsin playing a 1 game against CC and Denver during a road trip, like was mentioned earlier seems ideal to keep the rivalries relevant. Myself, I enjoy the UND, UMD, CC, Denver games more than any throughout the year, except for beating up on Minnesota. I'm not as familar with ECHA (I think thats what its called), but they should also still have some stellar programs. If this means more tv coverage, I'm all for it and I don't see how the other conferences could be hurt too much. They both still have a good number of teams, and some very good programs as well. The Big Ten won't be the powerhouse of college hockey.

Archived