Brewer Fanatic

Walt Jocketty says Chapman may be closer â?? Rest of NL Central rejoices!

endaround

This might actually be a potentially smart move depending of what they do with Cordero's 12 million after he leaves.The Reds have a good amount of starting pitching. Don't get me wrong I would be scared to death to see Chapman in their rotation, because he could potentially be pretty good, but they could do a lot with that 12 million. Just saying..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

If/when Cordero leaves, that $12M can still be spent elsewhere if Chapman is in the rotation. The Reds can put anyone back there to close. How many times have the Brewers had albeit fleeting success while sticking unproven guys in the closer role?

If/when Cordero leaves, that $12M can still be spent elsewhere if Chapman is in the rotation. The Reds can put anyone back there to close. How many times have the Brewers had albeit fleeting success while sticking unproven guys in the closer role?

Why create vacancy in the back-end of the bullpen when you don't need to? The Reds have a good amount of starting pitching in my opinion. I can understand this move.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator

A starter is far, far more valuable than a closer, despite the obscene contracts that closers are getting these days. At least 20-25 MLB teams have an adequate closer. Maybe 5 MLB teams have an adequate 5-man rotation. A closer only needs 2 pitches to get guys out while a starter needs 3-4 good pitches. The game has already been decided in 75% of the games that a closer pitches in. A closer can easily rot on the bench when a team is on a losing streak--which is exactly when they most could have used another quality pitcher! The list goes on and on...

There is absolutely no way that the Reds have 5 pitchers that are better suited for a starting slot than Chapman.

Or...perhaps they are just going to protect him from Dusty Baker? Although it still doesn't stop Baker from using him in the 9th-13th innings of a tie game...

I think that's a fair statement when you're talking about guys in the middle talent wise, but we aren't. When you have that size and that kind of velocity with your FB, hitters will have enough trouble just trying to catch up with the FB that you don't need a 3rd pitch. Sheets was a 2 pitch pitcher and did just fine, as was Randy Johnson. They both developed a get me over change later in their careers but when you think of Sheets you think FB/CB and when you think of Johnson you think FB/SL, and Sheets never had velocity like Chapman has.

When the talent is so exceptional one simply doesn't need 3 pitches to have success. Look at Edwin Jackson, he's never figured out his command for an extended period of time and gets people out by just being effectively wild with his fastball. He's like the Wild Thing... he kind of has an idea where it's going but the hitters have no idea, and there's no time to hesitate when you're facing 95+ mph gas. I'm sure the Reds would like Chapman to be a complete pitcher, but he could probably get bye on the 2 pitches he has for now.

This would be another break for the Brewers, I just don't understand the obession with closers at all, they've literally become my least favorite position in sports. I have no idea why anyone would want to pay average starting pitcher money to only get 50ish IP for the season. Stop the madness!

edit. The only real advantage for Cincy would be by putting him the bullpen they can stop his development cycle and start getting something out of him right away, which isn't something I necessarily agree with. I'd rather a pitcher fails as a starter before being shipped off to the bullpen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't disagree about Chapman having more value as a starter (nothing to disagree with). However, his highest IP total to date is the 118.1 he threw in the 2008-09 season (Serie Nacional's season runs from Nov. through April). He pitched in 22 games that season, which averages out to less than 6 innings per game, even if you just average it over the 20 starts he made. For comparison's sake, he threw 109 IP last season, and only started in 13 of his 39 games played in the minors.

It's not a good long-term decision, but I'm not sure the Reds should expect Chapman's arm to hold up to more than maybe 125-130 innings this season (140-150 if you really want to push him). If Jocketty wants to win now, making Chapman the closer (I'd personally prefer relief ace/fireman) would probably allow the Reds to have him pitching for them the entire season. Just playing devil's advocate -- he's really not even close to being ready for a full starter's workload.

To me the obviously correct move is to stretch him out to about 125+ IP this season, shut him down, & keep stretching him out in the future. If his birthday's legit, he's only in his age-23 season. You could even skip some of his starts to spread his contributions out over a longer portion of the season, if desired.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't agree with this, but perhaps I'm not as shocked by this move because I'm not completely sold on Chapman yet. He has the potential to be phenomenal, but his minor league walk rate was downright scary last year (52 in 95 innings).

I'd give him another half a season to start in the minors and then decide. I don't think he's ready to start in the majors, but moving him to closer seems quite premature.

Chapman probably isnt ready yet to be an mlb starting pitcher because of his changeup issues. Its a smart developmental move for the Reds to use him in the pen this year, for the sake of the franchise and its playoff chances.

The other alternative is to send him back to AAA this year, stretch him out and next year he becomes a mid rotation starter and by year 3, he is their #1.

But he can make a big contribution this year as a closer/8th inning guy, and simply turn him into a starter next year. The Reds should be very competitive for the next 2 years or so, so delaying Chapman in the rotation shouldnt be a major loss for the Reds.

Archived