Brewer Fanatic

What's Your Gomez Prediction?

He has all the physical tools but has a complete lack of plate dicipline. He has shown nothing so far to indicate that has changed.
He is killing the ball, not just popping it up like usual but legitimately driving hard line drives. His strikeouts are low with only 4 so far in his 35 at bats. Sure I'd love to see him have more walks but can't complain when he is what I am assuming good pitches and driving the ball. If he walks once or twice to morrow he is right in the mix with the rest of the team (a few like Weeks, Wheeler, Boggs have five but most are sitting around 1-3).

Edit: well I guess not all pitches are good after looking at Gobias Industries picture ha

It's Spring training. He drove the baseball last year in Spring Training if I remember correctly. We all know he can hit a fastball. Let's wait and see how his approach looks when pitchers are actually trying to get him out instead of just working on things getting ready for the season. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from Spring Training. Pitchers are just getting their work in for the most part.

Most players peak right around 27, so Carlos should continue to get a

little better. Given his natural gifts and how he was rushed by the

Mets/Twins, he would seem to be as logical a breakout candidate as

anyone. A 3-5% improvement should probably be expected, but that'll only

bump him up to about .310/.360. .325/.375 is perhaps a sensible goal

that, paired with his defense, would make him an above average option

for a decade.

Normally I would agree but he has shown no improvement whatsoever over the last 3 years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I look forward to the Weeks/Gomez double steal. I think RR really is going to "turn the boys loose" and I can't wait to see it. I also wouldn't mind Weeks/Braun or Gomez/Braun on the double steal. I've had enough of the "no stealing in front of Prince" mentality. I want some action.

I think Gomez is really a key to the ignition of the offense...

Last year in games when he was causing havoc on the basepaths, it really seemed to liven up the offense.

I am hoping he gets on base more, and forces RR to move him up in the lineup based on his play...

Here's another encouraging article on Gomez.

The spring signs are encouraging. Gomez, back this week from a bout of back stiffness, entered his start against the Padres on Tuesday batting .390 this spring, with a .405 on-base percentage and three stolen bases in four attempts. It's an exceptionally small sample, but what has really impressed the Brewers' new manager is Gomez's work in the hours before game time.

"If you go out and watch [Gomez in batting practice], he's really trying to hit line drives up the middle toward the second baseman," Roenicke said. "And he's staying there all the time -- I think that's what [Milwaukee hitting coach] Dale [sveum] likes. All of his at-bats during the game, that's basically his approach."

Gomez will still chase the occasional low and away slider, Roenicke said.

"But his approach is to the point that he is going to lay off it more often," Roenicke said. "He's going to pick up the spin and hold off and not chase that pitch."

At some point last season, Gomez approached Sveum and offered to do whatever it took to reclaim his job. It was a "big point," Sveum told the manager, in the relationship between hitting coach and hitter.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The thing about Gomez is that I was pretty turned off by him when he hit that 3-run HR in Minnesota when we were losing 15-0 and he watched the entire flight of the ball. However, I find myself really embracing him this season not only because of his importance to the offense but also because of his work ethic to try and improve during this spring. As a fan of baseball and life in general, I find it refreshing to see a player/person showing this type of effort to try and improve their abilities.

If he fails, he fails but it certainly seems that it won't be for a lack of work or effort or desire and because of this I am firmly in Gomez' corner this season.

I know people bring up the Gomez HR in MN but a lot of it had to do with how jacked up he was to be back in MN. You could just tell. He was flying all over the place had a decent series and was just really excited to play against his old team. Trying to probably show them that they shouldn't have traded him. Anyway, I don't hold that against him at all. It was dumb and it was a mistake. I believe he even said after the game he was sorry and was not trying to show anyone up.

I'm really pulling for him as always (I have stated this many times) but I'm not expecting a miracle. I like the kid and wan him to do well. He's exciting and plays the game full speed all the time.

Gomez is only 25 years old and has a ton of potential. Am I correct that we have him through 2013? (Free agent eligible in 2014)...

Even beyond "potential", if used correctly Gomez can be a great asset. Sit him against the tougher right handers, let him steal alot, get him to bunt on base more etc

Archived