Brewer Fanatic

What's Your Gomez Prediction?

Quick question. After watching him this spring have your expectations of him changed at all?

Batting .400 after 35 ABs in Spring Training is batting .400 in Spring Training and he still hasn't drawn 1 walk. However, everything you read about seems to indicate he has truly dedicated himself to realizing his talent i.e. working extensively with Dale Sveum. Obviously, he isn't going to bat .400 or even .300 but maybe this spring indicates he's on pace to bat a respectable .265-.270 and have a decent OBP (.320-.330) which will allow him to utilize his speed.

I know we all talked about Gomez possibly having a big Spring and fooling us into believing he has changed, but has anything he has shown you this spring make you believe this Gomez is for real?

.290/.350/.800 15HR 55RBI 50SB and a gold glove
My God...thinking of the possibilities of this lineup if he does this. If Weeks, Braun, Fielder, McGehee and Hart just have their average seasons...there might not be a better 1-6 in baseball.

Just pray Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum are as good a #1-#3 as they should be.

Lol may be hard to tell but I am def a Gomez fan and believer. He has very tool needed to being one of the top CF in baseball it is a just a matter of putting tools together. A Carlos Gonzalez 2010 season would not shock me at all, just hope he learns to walk

I think he puts up more or less the same stats he has so far in his career, maybe this big adjustment pumps the average up 10 points or something but it won't be very noticeable unless he starts to take walks.

He has all the physical tools but has a complete lack of plate dicipline. He has shown nothing so far to indicate that has changed.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/650*455/ap-royals-brewers-spring-baseballb.jpg

You mean to say hitting homeruns on eye level pitches isn't sustainable?

.255/.305/.380 woud be my guestimate.

Lol may be hard to tell but I am def a Gomez fan and believer. He has very tool needed to being one of the top CF in baseball it is a just a matter of putting tools together. A Carlos Gonzalez 2010 season would not shock me at all, just hope he learns to walk

Carlos Gonzalez probably the most impressive statistical season of anyone last year. No way Gomez comes close to that.

I really feel Gomez will finally understand how he needs to play the game to be successful, but he will never be a high average or OBP guy.. .265/.310

He has all the physical tools but has a complete lack of plate dicipline. He has shown nothing so far to indicate that has changed.
He is killing the ball, not just popping it up like usual but legitimately driving hard line drives. His strikeouts are low with only 4 so far in his 35 at bats. Sure I'd love to see him have more walks but can't complain when he is what I am assuming good pitches and driving the ball. If he walks once or twice to morrow he is right in the mix with the rest of the team (a few like Weeks, Wheeler, Boggs have five but most are sitting around 1-3).

Edit: well I guess not all pitches are good after looking at Gobias Industries picture ha

I'm not necessarily concerned that he's not walking in ST. Obviously he's been working with Dale extensively on his swing, so the last thing he should be doing when he needs to get used to new mechanics is looking to walk.

That said, I seriously doubt he'll improve much. He might hit his magical mark of a .260 AVG this season. Maybe a slash line of .260/.310/.370/.680. If he hits any better than that, combined with his defense, the Brewers will be in decent shape in CF. I still think Dickerson should take at least the majority of PAs against RHPs, and would be fully in favor of a platoon (although there's really no evidence that Gomez can hit LHP better than RHP in his career splits so far). Maybe the Brewers can petition Selig's office to let Gomez be the DF for Braun or Hart.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How about .265/ .310/ .390/ .700. If the drop in strikeouts is a real phenomema that could easily account for a modest bump in batting average, which with great defense could turn him into a useful guy. Obviously more walks are nice, but I'd be happy with him morphing into a decent slap hitter.

Community Moderator

I still doubt that Gomez has put it all together. 0 walks in 35 at-bats? That is troublesome. I haven't seen him play, but I suspect he still isn't capable of reigning in his aggressiveness to the point of being a complete hitter. Pitchers will adjust to him and he needs to learn to take his walks.

I'll go with a modest improvement over last year: .265/.300/.380, 35 stolen bases in 50 attempts. He will probably have a few hot streaks in there but by September his numbers will have fallen off.

What's Your Gomez Prediction?

He will soft platoon with Dickerson this season, combining for serviceable CF stats. He will be traded next offseason and Schafer will be the CF of the future.

(Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood... I said the same thing about Hart before last season and he had the best season of his career, so maybe it'll work again)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Most players peak right around 27, so Carlos should continue to get a little better. Given his natural gifts and how he was rushed by the Mets/Twins, he would seem to be as logical a breakout candidate as anyone. A 3-5% improvement should probably be expected, but that'll only bump him up to about .310/.360. .325/.375 is perhaps a sensible goal that, paired with his defense, would make him an above average option for a decade.

I would really welcome a .260/.310 or around there. We have to remember we knew we'd be taking a dip with CF and SS for some great pitching. So when you combine his deffense I think that would be quite alright with me. I'm rooting for him big time as I always have. Love his hustle and intensity!

Archived