Brewer Fanatic

Rogers demoted to AAA

PrinceEatMeat

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118015019.html

Seems like an odd move to me. Pretty much makes Peralta the # starter. Peralta looked very good on Sunday, I was at the game. He must be impressing Roenicke. Was also at the game yesterday and Rogers wasn't bad, but he didn't seem to be himself. I know Roenicke said he was upset with his approach.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Roenicke explains Rogers move

By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel

March 15, 2011 12:26 p.m. Phoenix - Ron Roenicke said Mark Rogers' demotion to Nashville had absolutely nothing to do with his spring-training debut Monday in Scottsdale.

Instead, Roenicke said the Brewers are getting close to the point where they need to find a temporary No. 5 and that Rogers wouldn't be ready to start on April 6.

Other candidates are up to five innings and Rogers is only able to pitch one inning right now because of shoulder surgery.

He said Rogers would benefit by getting more work in the mnior-league camp.

Roenicke said he might use one or two pitchers for the temporary No. 5 gig. Because the starts will be nine days apart, the Brewers can't send that pitcher down and bring him back for the second start.

Wily Peralta, Marco Estrada and Eulogio De La Cruz are in the running for the spot. Roenicke did not mention Tim Dillard.

I have more on what the manager said when I get over to Goodyear.

How in the world is Peralta ahead of Rivas?

Can't remember what it was, but Rivas has been on the shelf too.

Seriously, they should be looking at Loe to fill in. They have a lot of relievers that have major league experience that can fill Loe's bullpen spot for a couple weeks. If it's just one start I suppose they could get by with Peralta (they did with Chris Saenz) but really if it's possible it could go on longer, they may need to look either at Loe or the waiver wire.

Speaking of which, the Yankees just released Sergio Mitre. In 5 inning this spring he's allowed zero runs.

Peralta's WHIP is scary high, 1.419 in 2010 and that was in AA and A+ ball (with a K/9 of only 6.4)... although at first glance it looks like his problem isn't Walks (3.9 BB/9 which is similar to Gallardo's career MLB numbers) his walk numbers did skyrocket in the 8 games he pitched in AA ball last year... Did his control magically improve over the winter? He gives up alot of hits, too

Loe wouldn't be able to build innings up in time either and can't get lefties out. He's a terrible option.

He's got 3 weeks to build innings. Lefties hit a modest .274/.311/.429 off him last year and he's being counted on to get them out in hold situations out of the pen.. He had 10 starts at AAA last year with a 3.16 ERA. He's certainly a better option than the guys they are looking at.

Lefties hit a modest .274/.311/.429 off him last year and he's being counted on to get them out in hold situations out of the pen.. He had 10 starts at AAA last year with a 3.16 ERA. He's certainly a better option than the guys they are looking at.

*Sigh*

Lefties hit .313/.371/.487/.858 against him in his career.

As a starter, hitters hit .293/.355/.444/.799 off him.

He's not a good starter.

The Brewers don't seem to have been considering Loe as a starter at all, and I agree with their decision. Loe belongs in the bullpen and has excelled there. Why mess with success?
I feel the same way about Parra, though maybe he hasn't "excelled" there, Parra does seem much better out of the bullpen than as a starter

the brewers just burned his final option.

The option isn't burned until the Rogers spends 20 days in the minors. If he's recalled before the 20 days are used up and he subsequently spends the full season in Milwaukee, he'd receive Major League service time for his days in the minors and his option would still be available.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

the brewers just burned his final option.

The option isn't burned until the Rogers spends 20 days in the minors. If he's recalled before the 20 days are used up and he subsequently spends the full season in Milwaukee, he'd receive Major League service time for his days in the minors and his option would still be available.

the optimist in me just stated they've burned his final option. if mark rogers spends nearly a full season in milwaukee as a starter, it's not good news for the team.

Archived