Brewer Fanatic

Running Game

littledoc83
I know the new "aggressive" style was quite the topic prior to ST starting up, but since the games have started I haven't heard much about it. From glancing through box scores, I haven't seen very many stolen bases or caught stealing. Does anyone have the steals/attempts numbers from spring games? For those that are down in AZ have there been many runners stretching singles into doubles or that type of aggressiveness?

Looks like they have 18 stolen bases out of 24 attempts (75%) over 14 spring training games. That is 1.7 attempts per game and 1.3 steals per game. Granted this is only spring training but that is a lot.

Last years Brewers stole 81 bases of 107 attempts (also 75%) over the full 162 game season. That’s 0.7 attempts per game and 0.5 steals per game.

I know it is a comparison of spring training to the regular season, yet I think there is enough significance there to show that Roenike is serious about the running game.

Aside from the stats I have been listening to some spring training games on the radio and have most certainly heard the aggressiveness in the calling of the games, not only in terms of stolen bases, but also areas like stretching a single into a double, taking off for home on a passed ball, and distracting the pitcher on the base baths.

Ya, I was going to say, they've been taking extra bases a lot it seems. Sounds like BA sometimes gets surprised, "oh he's going for three!" I love it! Also seems to be more small ball tatctics going on like squeeze bunts and so on. I know it's spring and they are trying to see what they got but I really do enjoy it!

There have definitely been a lot more chances being taken on trying to take that extra base and whatnot. I'm sure a lot of it right now is to see what they have for baserunning ability in some of the guys so they know how much they can push each of them during the regular season. I think Eddie Sedar's arm will be sore by the end of March

I expect they will back off a little come the regular season. Right now they need to get their work in by getting in as many attempts as possible. The coaches also need to know which players are best at being aggressive in taking an extra base, and now is the time to find out.

Well they did steal 108 bases (6th in NL) in Yost's final season with the Brewers compared to 81 (12th in the NL) under Maccha last year, so I do not think it is only insignificant rhetoric. Also should take into account that Maccha had a faster team last year with Escobar & Gomez/Cain than Yost did in 08 with Hardy & Cameron.

Archived