Brewer Fanatic

Braun leaves Saturday's game -- left intercostal strain; says he's "fine", listed as day-to-day

Mass Haas

Ryan seems to have had this problem since 2008, hope ever thing is ok. my friend said when he heard this earlier today, that the reason Ryan signed that long term contract was he knew all about this problems that he has had them for many years. I told him that is not true.

This is an injury that he's obviously prone to. It's not a huge deal, especially when it happens in spring. My guess is that back in the day, guys who did this, got shots and played. That's why we never heard about these types of injuries back then.

Beginning next season, Braun should be moved to 1B in order to minimize injury potential and miximize hitting potential
I never thought about that, but I wonder if this has been discussed at all by DM. He's a pretty bad outfielder, but I imagine he'd be an above average 1B. However, I imagine Braun wouldn't be too fond of this idea.

From McCalvy:

"It's nothing at all," Braun said. "I could have played [saturday] but there's no sense in it. Honestly, I feel better than I've ever felt in my life, so I don't really need at-bats right now. There's no doubt in my mind I'm better than I've ever been at baseball, so nothing positive comes from the rest of these Spring Training games. I don't need at-bats. I feel great. So there's no reason to take a chance right now."

I think I have a new sig quote.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

it's only arrogant if you don't back it up. Braun does.

However, there's the little devil sitting on my shoulder right now saying, "Yeah, just great. Just watch he's going to hit about 13 HR this year and hit .265 because he bulked up too much. Not to mention he'll probably miss 1-2 months of action with some muscle injury."

I'd like to punch that little devil in the face.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Beginning next season, Braun should be moved to 1B in order to minimize injury potential and miximize hitting potential

It's an option worth considering, more for defensive worth than anything else. Should Gamel or a free agent prove to be a superior defender, and Braun could do well at 1B, you think about it. However, it'll be cheaper and easier to leave him in LF and get an .800 OPS 1B than move him to 1B and pick up an .800 OPS LF.

^ I've got to admit, I'd be ragging on Lawrie if he said that. Braun may be an arrogant dude, but he's our arrogant dude.
I don't think it's arrogant. He's saying he's worked hard and improved his game. He never said, "I've been an amazing player. Amazing. Better than almost every player in the league. But know what's scary? I'm better now than I've ever been. The league had better watch out."

Not arrogant at all, if he said I am the best OF in baseball that is arrogant. Saying he is better than he has ever been in the past really isn't when he is in his prime and it is a reasonable belief.

It's an option worth considering, more for defensive worth than anything else. Should Gamel or a free agent prove to be a superior defender, and Braun could do well at 1B, you think about it. However, it'll be cheaper and easier to leave him in LF and get an .800 OPS 1B than move him to 1B and pick up an .800 OPS LF.

I believe you are correct in your assertion that it would be cheaper to find the .800 OPS 1B than LF. However, I think this move would be more about the preservation of Braun's health long-term and 1B may prove to be a position which could really ensure this. Plus, I believe Braun could be exceptional at 1B whereas I see him topping out as average in LF. More a gut feeling than anything else.

Braun was a terrible infielder. He has bad baseball instincts. Putting him at a position where most of a player's value as a defender is based on reaction isn't a good idea in my opinion. I am not sure Hart would be much better. Gamel at 1B probably makes the most sense. He seems like he can field the ball really well. He just has trouble throwing.

For the record I hate the "not a good enough hitter" argument when talking about which position a fielder should play in this case. Braun, Hart and Gamel are likely to all be in the lineup. You put them in the positions where our defense will be best.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived