Brewer Fanatic

Who is in the lead for the backup catcher spot?

brewmann04

kottaras has seen the most playing time and has 10 more plate appearances than nieves. comparing the small sample size of each player, kottaras has better offensive stats this spring than nieves does.

nieves is in the starting line-up today.

Except that he was signed on a major league deal. If he was signed on a minor league deal I could see it being a depth move. Since that's not the case, I think he was signed to likely replace Kottaras. It's not like one will be sent to AAA. Whoever we don't keep is gone, so it doesn't really keep depth at all.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Why did Doug even bother signing Nieves if he would recommend Kottaras? I don't think anyone has a special advantage.

Absolutely. This is one of those instances where there appears to be a competition but there really isn't. It's Nieves' job to lose. He hasn't lost it. He won't hit much but he is a switch hitter. He'll throw out 25% which isn't great but better than Kottaras. They are doing some showcasing of Kottaras and he might stick if Lucroy isn't back but I doubt it.

If Lucroy isn't ready, they'll keep Rivera around for a couple weeks of the season because they believe they can get Mike through waivers and that he likes the Brewer organization and will accept assignment to Nashville.

It's Nieves' job to lose. He hasn't lost it. He won't hit much but he is a switch hitter.

How is it Nieves' job to lose? He's awful on offense and not very good on defense either. I'd take Rivera over him. Hell, Chad Moeller just got released, I would sign Chad Moeller and release Nieves now. And he's not a switch hitter either.

Kottaras is so much better than any other option at hitting, and for what it's worth, his defense isn't *that* much worse. Nieves isn't all that good on D, and Rivera definitely isn't.

I'm going to be disappointed if Kottaras is not kept.

Kottaras is so much better than any other option at hitting, and for what it's worth, his defense isn't *that* much worse.
His defense is a lot worse than the others when someone is on base. Good thing Adan Dunn is in the American League now, because even he could steal a base on George

Kottaras only threw out 8% of base stealers last season? I think that's correct. He was terrible. It was alarming..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Where did you read 8%, GormanHarvey?

Maybe the 8 people are remembering is that he only threw out 8 of 44 basestealers last season... ?

Kottaras in essence played his way behind Lucroy by not being able to throw out runners. Nieves threw out 24% of runners attempting steals, better than Kottaras' credited mark of 15% (8 for 52). Kottaras actually threw out 4 of 48 runners (8.3%) but catchers strangely are given credit for "caught stealings" when the pitcher picks off a runner at first and he breaks for second.

LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111504279.html

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My $0.02 without watching or listening to any games so far (which makes this a guess)...

Lucroy starts on the DL. Nieves/Kottaras compete for one catcher position. Maldonado (95% chance) or Rivera (5%) fills the backup position until Lucroy returns.

edit - Maybe take it one step farther and predict Kotteras/Maldonado at 95% chance and Nieves/Rivera at 5%. Mainly due to complementary styles. I'm probably vastly understating the probability Nieves/Kottaras together, but for some reason, I just don't see it...

i know they brought in Nieves, but I always spot it was Kottaras' job to loose. I don't think he did anything to not get it. I'd like to see Maldonado fill in until Lucroy is back since I've seen what Rivera and Nieves has done and its nothing special.

Seeing as we are having this debate, I wonder if we could do 2010 all over again if we would have hung onto Matt Treanor instead of George Kottaras. As I recall, Treanor was supposedly quite the defensive whiz without much of a stick.

Seems like Treanor might be winning the position battle at backup C if he was a member of the 2011 Brewers spring training roster.

• 2 weeks later...

when the brewers have been auditioning that fifth starter, who's been behind the plate more often than not?

george kottaras.

it's pretty obvious that he makes the club, and even if jonathan lucroy starts the season on the disabled list, i think wil nieves' 40-man roster spot is better spent on a non-catcher.

catching corps on opening day is either jonathan lucroy/george kottaras or george kottaras/martin maldonado.

when the brewers have been auditioning that fifth starter, who's been behind the plate more often than not?

george kottaras.

it's pretty obvious that he makes the club, and even if jonathan lucroy starts the season on the disabled list, i think wil nieves' 40-man roster spot is better spent on a non-catcher.

catching corps on opening day is either jonathan lucroy/george kottaras or george kottaras/martin maldonado.

Yeah, I don't see Nieves making the team. Kottaras has been tearing the cover off the ball all of ST and is playing pretty good defense. We'll be fine with Rivera and Maldonado at AAA for depth.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived