Brewer Fanatic

Thoughts on the bullpen?

SpottedCow

We know the offense and starting pitching are going to be good, this is the one area that could be cause for concern.

I loved the Saito signing, the guy's incredibly underrated. Loe was also money last season. If it's one thing about bullpens, they fluctuate greatly from year to year.

I know that the 'pen was a big issue last season (at least until Axford

stepped up), so what do you guys expect out of this season?

The depth of our candidates for "last man" makes me feel safer about the usual fluctuations in bullpen performance. Between Kintzler, McClendon, Merklinger, etc...we probably have a better situation in our bullpen than most teams.

Also, in addition to Axford, the emergence of Loe and Braddock as the season went on improved the situation considerably. Plus, Greinke and Marcum improve the bullpen by default simply because it won't be counted on for as many innings.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think the angst in some quarters about the pen in misplaced and comes in part from national media types that paid little attention to Axford's outstanding 2010 or the emergence of Loe in a setup role. Now these same media types are looking closer at the Brewers and because they had written them off last year in May, they express doubts.. While you can never feel 100% certain, I like the mix out there and that's without Hawkins. Anything he gives you is a bonus.

We have enough guys to choose from that if one fails we can replace him. I wish we didn't have so many guys with only one year in. Relievers are so inconsistent my only worry is the games it takes to find out who was a one year wonder and who is going though a tough stretch combined with finding the replacement for the flop may take too long if another team stays hot like the Reds did last season.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived