Brewer Fanatic

Who Replaces Greinke For a Few Starts?

If the club actually is shopping Gamel with intent to move him soon, like Hammer had heard, then I could see not signing a scrap-heap guy like Bonderman. If Melvin can find a team that believes in his bat (shouldn't be hard) that wants to stick with him at 3B (there's your tricky part), the return could be well worth dealing Mat. I still cringe at the thought of losing that cost-controlled, excellent LH bat, but if the pitching return is worthwhile, you have to check it out.

Sorry, to steer this post back more on-topic, according to a couple Jerry Crasnick tweets earlier this month, Bonderman isn't an option

#1: I talked to a player who knows Jeremy Bonderman, who said, "More than likely he's going to sit this year out."

#2: Bonderman apparently doesn't have the energy for more rehabs, or going to camp and having to fight for a spot.

He's just never been the same pitcher after inflammation in his elbow in '07, & then a circulatory problem in his shoulder in '08.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really believe that the Brewers want Peralta to take the spot. I think if he can turn things around in his next few outings, then he will get the spot. Signing or trading for someone outside the organization seems like a last resort to me. It's likely only gonna be two starts, and I'm not sure it's necessary to bring anyone in unless we are forced to.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Jeremy Bonderman is one of the most overrated players from recent years. He wasn't very good before he got hurt. Not even considering the injury issues he would be a younger Soup with street cred. At any rate, he's not an option because he is overrating himself as well- in asking for a guaranteed contract for good money. I don't see how Rogers could be an option at this point either. Isn't he out of options? If that's the case, we probably won't realistically see him until late June at the earliest, because he would have to be carried on the roster for the rest of the season.

Marco Estrada seems a logical choice for the #5 spot. It seems like pitchers with good changeups (like Estrada) tend to do well in the beginning of the season and power pitchers (which Estrada is not) do better in September and October. Estrada could actually be pretty effective in April.

if it's estrada, nobody's pulling for jonathan lucroy to be ready by 31 march more than pat egan (outside of jonathan lucroy himself).

why? pat egan's slim chances of breaking camp with the brewers require that a spot on the 40-man roster open up to add estrada. the departure of george kottaras or wil nieves will open up that spot . . . instead of taking the spot of pat egan.

I wouldn't mind Estrada getting the nod. He could also serve as our long reliever in the 10 days between starts, which will help with Parra out. Egan has a shot to make the team if Hawkins goes on the DL to start the season. Otherwise, I don't really see it happening. Either way, he might be gone by mid-April.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Estrada should be fine for a couple of starts. I actually like what I saw of him last year.

You could worse than Slowey though. I'm actually not sure what the Twins are thinking; he's still a better option than Duensing and Blackburn.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm now thinking it's sergio mitre to pitch tonight, with a recalled pitcher to come in for a few innings (or serve as a fresh arm tomorrow). i'm thinking the brewers are counting on mitre to pitch four or five innings, and then let relievers take care of the rest.

marco estrada comes up after lucroy is activated and one of the current catchers is outrighted off the 40-man roster.

If Greinke is so good and worth so many Wins Above Replacement, clearly the stat is useless because Estrada is a replacement, and he got the win!

There could have been worse moves made. Estrada's alright - he at least has the ability to not get crushed every time out, and he'll probably only need to make one or two more spot starts until Greinke comes back.

Estrada is better than people think. I know for a guy whose career ERA is 7.71 thats hard to believe but he had 3.46 FIP in 2009 at AAA. Zips projects him to have a FIP of 4.20. Narveson Zips projection is 4.47 for comparison. He's a fine #4 option for most teams if he was ever given a chance.

From TH's blog:

"Roenicke also said something interesting about the rotation. He said

they might decide to just go ahead and keep Marco Estrada in the

rotation to give the other starters an extra day here and there rather

than skipping the No. 5 spot whenever off days allow."

Not a big fan of this. By my count this would give Estrada 2 extra starts (4 vs. 2) assuming Greinke returns to start May. I recognize his stats, but also watched him serve 88 MPH fastballs over the heart of the plate for the first 3 innings last night, and to Heyward in the 6th, only to be bailed out by Gomez a number of times. I know this is reactionary, and I will say that he settled in after a shaky start and threw some good pitches and kept the ball down, albeit infrequently. I don't mind him for 2 spot starts, but adding him to the rotation when you can get an extra start or two this month out of Marcum and probably Wolf (without extrapolating it out) I'm not thrilled with.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Estrada certainly deserves another start and a "we'll see how it goes". Putting him in the rotation and giving Marcum, Gallardo and the rest days off here and there could potentially keep them fresher in August & September when we really need them

Remember Yo had to be shut down late last year, Marcum had Tommy John surgery a few years ago. A baseball season is a marathon, we need our horses fresh down the stretch

Considering Gallardo and Narvenson have never gone a full season in the majors and Marcum is coming off of a big IP jump last year following his injury this wouldn't really bother me at all.

I feel that if you allow someone like Estrada to actually settle in he might actually succeed. Every time he gets back to the big leagues the leash is so short it can't be comfortable. The stuff is there, like a right-handed Narveson. He's certainly paid his dues in the minors.

Estrada certainly deserves another start and a "we'll see how it goes". Putting him in the rotation and giving Marcum, Gallardo and the rest days off here and there could potentially keep them fresher in August & September when we really need them

Remember Yo had to be shut down late last year, Marcum had Tommy John surgery a few years ago. A baseball season is a marathon, we need our horses fresh down the stretch

Absolutely. Not only does an extra day between starts keep starters fresh, having Estrada on a regular turn keeps him sharper than having 10 days between starts. Estrada may not miss a ton of bats but his stuff is generally good enough to keep guys off the sweet spot and he's efficient with his pitches. Those guys tend to get jobs because those skills have value. Look at Nelson Figueroa for instance.

Archived