Brewer Fanatic

Who Replaces Greinke For a Few Starts?

I wouldn't want to see Loe start. I'd rather try an AAA guy and hope for 4-5 innings, then Johnny Wholestaff the rest. I wouldn't want to risk a valuable bullpen arm by stretching him out too far this early in the season.
Loe made 10 starts for Nashville last year. I would argue that made him better. I'll make a race horse analogy. Short relievers are like sprinters. Horse trainers will often "leg up" their sprinters by entering them in a longer race, then drop them back into shorter races. Especially with a sinker ball guy like Loe, the extra work early might make him more effective later.

The Brewers have more major league ready bullpen arms than they do bullpen spots. McClendon has options. Stetter and James both have an option left. Maybe this opens a door for DiFelice to make the team. Egan can't be sent down but before being offered back, he might be useful.

None of the currently healthy 40 man guys have any AAA experience. Most don't have a full season of AA either. My choice in that group would be Merklinger. But I'd prefer Loe. If Rogers can be ready in time, then fine, he's the guy.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally prefer the Brewers approach with Loe. Why mess with a good thing? If the guy excels in a position why switch him up? If our top 5 pick, number one prospect, who as worked his butt off to get to this position is healthy why deny him? Low has proved to be a key member of the pen, leave him be. We have three starts that need to be covered mid as well give one of our young top prospects an opportunity to show what they have. With our O they don't need to pitch a no- hitter but just keep us in a reason position to win (5ip 4 er I think would be very successful).

Mark Rogers to throw live batting practice on Friday and vows to be ready if needed to replace Greinke,

"As of right now, with how I feel, April 6 is extremely realistic,"

Rogers said. "If I can just stay on schedule and not have any setbacks

and keep making progress in my program, then that's a very, very real

possibility."

link

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Bernie's Crew says that Rivas, Rogers, and Peralta are the current front runners, but that the organization is also considering bringing in a cheap veteran.

No idea who that would be.

Maybe Suppan gets cut from the Giants...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Don't even joke about that. Just seeing his name mentioned almost gave me a heart attack. Too many bad memories racing through my head. Almost scared me to death.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Mark Rogers to throw live batting practice on Friday and vows to be ready if needed to replace Greinke,

"As of right now, with how I feel, April 6 is extremely realistic,"

Rogers said. "If I can just stay on schedule and not have any setbacks

and keep making progress in my program, then that's a very, very real

possibility."

link

Good, I thought all along that he would probably be ready. I don't think it's a stretch at all to give him 2 or 3 starts. The experience will be good for him too.

if looking for a 5th starter over multiple games, the brewers have stated that it could be two or more players that contribute.

knowing that rogers wouldn't be ready to take the first start, perhaps they sent him down to motivate the other internal candidates. granted, those other internal candidates might only pitch in one game, but for many of them, it's their first shot at the big leagues.

others that think (or have been told) that they're in the running as a replacement starter have got to pretty excited as the probable favorite (in rogers) is not being considered for that first start.

granted, this discussion is moot if the brewers do indeed opt for a four-man rotation for the first few weeks of the season.

No one is going to be pitching on 3 days rest in April. That's just stupid. Someone else will be making starts on April 6, 16, and 26 if necessary. There's no way that we go with only 4 starters for that whole time. It's a terrible idea to pitch guys on 3 days rest that early in the season.

Gallardo can pitch on April 5th with 5 days rest. He pitches March 31st, opening day, which is followed by an off day in case of a rain delay.

They would still need a 5th starter for April 6th. Doesn't really make much of a difference whether Yo pitches April 5th or 6th except for matchup against Tommy Hanson of the Braves.

I don't see any logical reason why they would pitch Marcum or Wolf on short rest with a 4 man rotation.

My breakdown - http://kpanz.blogspot.com.../rotation-shake-out.html

It makes a difference whether or not Yo pitches on the 5th or 6th, because if he pitches the 5th he can also pitch the 10th. That is the last game in the Cubs series, and is also before an off day on the 11th. So if he doesn't pitch the 5th, he'll be on 5 days rest two starts in a row. I doubt they will do that with Greinke out.

Now that Peralta got crushed and could barely get a guy out yesterday who else do the Brewers have? The only other options I can think of would be Scarpetta and Rivas, but are they even stretched out? If not, then are the Brewers forced to look outside the organization? Why in the world did the Brewers option them to the minors?

This really sucks for the Brewers, because they will not just need a replacement for Greinke starts, but potentially Marcums as well? Wow.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I still like the idea of bringing in a vet for a few starts and then moving into long relief as guys get healthy. This isn't about just April either, I see a real problem with depth for innings at the top level of the organization right now.

McCalvy confirmed the plan is for Yo to start the 5th.

They've needed to add a SP since before Greinke's and Marcum's injuries. There just isn't a lot out there. There is a reason no one has added Bonderman, Washburn, Millwood, etc..

The lack of SP depth on this team is pretty appalling. They still might add a guy from another team that gets released in the coming week or two. I'd be happy with just about any one who can get through 6 innings.... not sure Peralta, Rivas, Estrada, McClendon, etc can do that.

Frankly, I don't know why we didn't bring in an extra arm when both Parra and Rogers got injured. At that point, we pretty much knew that neither of them would be available for awhile. That would leave us with no insurance for out rotation. I don't see why we thought that we could get by with a couple guys who have no major league experience. Bringing in a guy like Bonderman would've been a smart thing to do.

Archived