Brewer Fanatic

Who Replaces Greinke For a Few Starts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A combination of Rogers and Parra. I'd like to see Rivas and Scarpetta, but I don't think they give the Brewers the best chance to win.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

The problem is that Rogers and Parra both have injury issues right now. Possibly either could be ready by Opening Day, but we'll see.

Fiers is an up and coming talent, but has only appeared in 10 games at the AA level so far. He's just not ready yet.Bernie's Crew suggests any of Amaury Rivas, Wily Peralta, or Cody Scarpetta as possibly candidates.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Kameron Loe makes the most sense.

He's the most experienced with 47 major league starts. He's got plenty of time to get stretched out. The bullpen should be deep enough and rested that early in the season to cover for his absence.

Remember Loe was starting for Nashville last year prior to his call up.

Keep in mind if they can get Greinke back by the 16th, the only day they would need a starter beyond the other 4 is April 6th.

I remember reading a quote from Roenicke saying that he would keep Kameron Loe in the bullpen. Of course at the time of the question he was addressing who the 6th starter would be, not who would take Greinke's place, so things could have changed.

I think if Mark Rogers is healthy and stretched out by opening day, he will be the guy. However I'm beginning to think he won't be ready.

If not I hope they don't go w/ Parra or Loe and keep them in their current bullpen roles. I'd much rather see a guy like Rivas, Peralta or possibly Fiers get a few starts than mess w/ their roles.

Hopefully Greinke gets back very soon, and it doesn't take to long to get him ready.

Mike Fiers is my favorite prospect in the entire organization, so I loved the first comment. But I agree that he probably isn't ready yet. Would assume that Rogers gets the starts if he is healthy enough, otherwise I think Rivas is the next in line.

I think Rivas has a shot but it depends on how many starts they really think they'll use them for. If its one or two more than a week apart I could see them having McClendon fill in. My guess is that Rogers could use the extra month in Arizona so no real need to rush him.

Seth McClung

seriously tho... I'd pick Loe... seems a much safer bet... plus he hasnt had any spring set backs like Parra or Rogers. Now if Rogers is healthy 100%... then give him a go.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Other than having the "long man" get a spot start mid-season, I don't really like bouncing players between the rotation and the bullpen, so I'd rather keep Loe in the 'pen. My vote is for Rogers if healthy/ready and Rivas as the second option.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It might not be just one guy. We really only need someone on April 6 and April 16. Greinke should be back on or before April 26, which is the third time we need a 5th starter. If Rogers isn't ready we might just go with Rivas the first start and then option him down, and then do the same thing the next start.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

And I really don't see Greinke being ready by April 16. Even if he misses the minimum 2 weeks, he will still need about 3 or 4 weeks to get his arm ready. He was only 2 starts in. I think him getting back by April 26, the 3rd time a 5th starter is needed, is more realistic.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

As long as Rogers is stretched out and has no more set backs I think he is the best choice. Brewers have said there is no chance Loe comes out of the pen, Parra would be good but not sure where is time line is compared to Rogers (Mark is ready to pitch in a game I believe Parra is still a little further out). Peralta and Rivas would be alright since teams have very little scouting reports on them but don't think they are ready yet, like to see some success in AAA first. Fiers is old enough, guy is 26 now I believe and has a live arm from what I have read so he is a darkhorse.

To me as long as they are good to go and stretched out Rogers and Parra I think are by far the best two options. Mark was a top 5 pick and now our best prospect for a reason. He pitched very well in September and as long as he throws strikes he will be fine. The nice thing is that with the Brewers offense, if he can give us 5 IP with 4 ER that should keep the Crew in the game and be a good fill in start.

Haudricourt tweeted that Rogers is a candidate to take Greinke's starts even though he still hasn't pitched in a game. I take that as encouraging news for Rogers in that he must be feeling much better as has been documented. By Roenicke making this comment that Rogers is one of the candidates says a lot about where Rogers is in recovery and that he still has time to get built up for starting in early April.

I would love for Rogers to get the nod, if he's healthy. But that's a very big if. Take no chances. Of course Mark would probably say he's solid, even if he weren't. The crew must look out for players best interest. If Rivas has gotten stretched out enough, today's paper said he's been out with a tooth infection, then Rivas may be the man.

Archived