Brewer Fanatic

What the roster "bubble" looks like

Kotsay doesn't thrill me either ... but Kapler and Edmonds, at least in my opinion, are making me give him a chance because Melvin has done good things with vets in the past.
True, at least some of the time. Edmonds' .350 OBP & .843 OPS in over 200 at-bats was indeed pretty impressive for a 40 year old

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

(Y/N) is for if the player has an option remaining (Yes/No)

Pitching:

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Peralta (Y) / Estrada (MiLB) / Dillard (MiLB) / Trade or Waiver pickup

6) RP - Axford

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Loe

9) RP - Stetter (Y)

10) RP - Green (N)

11) RP - Kintzler (Y)

12) RP - McClendon (Y) / Braddock(Y) / DiFelice (MiLB) / Egan (Rule 5) - Might Egan swoop in and take advantage of Hawkins injury???

Position Players:

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

19) RF - Kotsay (N) - Like it or *not*, he seems to be getting most of the starts in Hart's absence

20) C - Lucroy - Timing is tight for his return...

21) BU IF: Counsell

22) BU C: Kottaras (N)

23) BU OF: Dickerson (Y) - Hopefully he gets a good shot at platooning with Kotsay, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

24) BU IF: Cruz (N) / Almonte (MiLB) - Almonte is limited defensively, so I'm guessing Cruz makes it.

25) BU OF: Boggs (N) / Reed (MiLB contract) - Boggs is a switch hitter and on the 40-man. Otherwise they are pretty evenly matched. Advantage Boggs.

DL: - This list is growing far too much, but if it worked for the Packers...

SP - Greinke

RF - Hart

RP - Parra

RP - Hawkins

Probably Out:

RP - James (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

C - Maldonado (Y)

C - Rivera (MiLB) - Not getting many at-bats.

C - Nieves (N) - Still a small window if Lucroy doesn't bounce back...

Optioned to the MiLB:

SP - Scarpetta

SP - Merklinger

SP - Rodgers

SP - Rivas

IF - Gamel (Y) - Hopefully, he sees 1B has hit ticket to the MLB and embraces it.

I guess we do have to give Melvin a lot of credit for his older scrap heap guys. Could we even put the Love Muscle in that group as well? Let's not include the pitchers in this category http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif That's a whole different discussion.

I'm willing to withhold judgment on Kotsay. I see him filling the role Catalanotto had a couple of years ago... namely, a vet lefty pinch hitter, who can serve as a warm body in the outfield in an emergency. If he can hit .270 or .280 in that role, I don't see the issue. The alternatives aren't very sexy anyway. The evil part of me wants to see Kotsay get the opening day start in right field just to see this board explode.

I think he will hit .240 or .250. He isn't as experienced in this type of role as Catalanotto and Inglett were. If he isn't getting relatively consistent ab's, which he won't once Hart's back, then he may struggle. Basically, he's on the roster as a veteran leader and for occasional lefty pop off the bench. I don't like it, but that's the case. I'd much rather have Catalanotto or Inglett in the role he will paly, because they've been doing it most of their careers.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think he will hit .240 or .250. He isn't as experienced in this type of role as Catalanotto and Inglett were. If he isn't getting relatively consistent ab's, which he won't once Hart's back, then he may struggle. Basically, he's on the roster as a veteran leader and for occasional lefty pop off the bench. I don't like it, but that's the case. I'd much rather have Catalanotto or Inglett in the role he will paly, because they've been doing it most of their careers.
Did you mane pop-up because I don't think the guy has much if any power.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Did you mane pop-up because I don't think the guy has much if any power.
I said occasional, and I'm sure Doug would use that as justification also.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Roenickewas pretty strait forward in talking about the last roster spots. Here are a few snippets:

With opening day a week away, time is running out for catcher Jonathan Lucroy and right fielder Corey Hart to be ready. Brewers' manager Ron Roenicke did not seem optimistic about either player's opening day prospects Thursday.

Roenicke all but said RHP Marco Estrada will be the fifth starter while Zack Greinke is

out. When asked who he was still considering, Estrada was the only name

he mentioned. Roenicke said it would be unfair to put Wily Peralta in

that position.

If Corey Hart is not able to go, two from among Brandon Boggs, Jeremy Reed and Chris Dickerson, will make the roster.

The last bench spot will come down to Erick Almonte, Luis Cruz or Edwin Maysonet.

No comments on the BP, unfortunately...

Pitching:

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Mitre Saw

6) RP - Axford

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Loe

9) RP - Stetter (Y)

10) RP - Green (N)

11) RP - Kintzler (Y)

12) RP - McClendon (Y) / Braddock(Y)

Position Players:

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

19) RF - Kotsay (N) - Like it or *not*, he seems to be getting most of the starts in Hart's absence

23) BU OF: Kotsay

24) BU IF: Cruz (N)

25) BU OF: Boggs (N)

SP - Greinke

RF - Hart

RP - Parra

RP - Hawkins

Probably Out:

RP - James (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

C - Maldonado (Y)

Optioned to the MiLB:

SP - Scarpetta

SP - Merklinger

SP - Rodgers

SP - Rivas

IF - Gamel (Y) - Hopefully, he sees 1B has hit ticket to the MLB and embraces it.

I'm lazy, so I edited this to how I see it happening.

Pitching:

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Mitre Saw

6) RP - Axford

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Loe

9) RP - Stetter (Y)

10) RP - Green (N)

11) RP - Kintzler (Y)

12) RP - McClendon (Y) / Braddock(Y)

Position Players:

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

23) BU OF: Kotsay

24) BU IF: Cruz (N)

25) BU OF: Boggs (N)

SP - Greinke

RF - Hart

RP - Parra

RP - Hawkins

Probably Out:

RP - James (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

C - Maldonado (Y)

Optioned to the MiLB:

SP - Scarpetta

SP - Merklinger

SP - Rodgers

SP - Rivas

I'm lazy, so I edited this to how I see it happening.

You have Kotsay listed twice. I believe you need to insert Reed in the backup listing since Kotsay will start in RF in Hart's absence.

I firmly believe Almonte makes it over Cruz. This is why. A reliable RH pinch hitter is more valuable now than a 2nd backup middle infielder. Especially when you consider that they'll have a 2nd backup middle infielder as good as Cruz playing SS everyday in Nashville (Maysonet), so if they lose Cruz, it's not a huge deal. The risk is that when you bring in Counsell for defense or as a double switch at SS, you are short a guy in case of an injury. But McGehee can play 2nd in a pinch and so can Almonte who could also be stuck at SS for an inning if need be. Also keep in mind, your primary LH pinch hitter figures to be starting the season in the lineup.

If someone were to claim Almonte or he chose to sign elsewhere after clearing waivers, there is no bat to assume his spot. It's unclear which one, but one of Boggs or Reed will have to be let go too when Hart comes off the DL. By keeping Almonte, they'd have the option of keeping Reed with more CF experience over Boggs.

You have Kotsay listed twice. I believe you need to insert Reed in the backup listing since Kotsay will start in RF in Hart's absence.

I firmly believe Almonte makes it over Cruz. This is why. A reliable RH pinch hitter is more valuable now than a 2nd backup middle infielder. Especially when you consider that they'll have a 2nd backup middle infielder as good as Cruz playing SS everyday in Nashville (Maysonet), so if they lose Cruz, it's not a huge deal. The risk is that when you bring in Counsell for defense or as a double switch at SS, you are short a guy in case of an injury. But McGehee can play 2nd in a pinch and so can Almonte who could also be stuck at SS for an inning if need be. Also keep in mind, your primary LH pinch hitter figures to be starting the season in the lineup.

If someone were to claim Almonte or he chose to sign elsewhere after clearing waivers, there is no bat to assume his spot. It's unclear which one, but one of Boggs or Reed will have to be let go too when Hart comes off the DL. By keeping Almonte, they'd have the option of keeping Reed with more CF experience over Boggs.

Oops on the Kotsay thing.....I was that frustrated that he's on the team, that I guess subconsciously I put him on there twice. Oh well. I hope Almonte makes the team, but with DM, I just can't guess what he's going to do.

I'd guess Almonte would get the spot, with Reed getting full-time CF duty in AAA, since Schafer is out. Reed's signed to a minor league deal, so you wouldn't lose him if you send him to AAA. That gives the Brewers another week to decide between Boggs/Cruz/Almonte, and probably makes it easier to slip one through waivers, since other teams' AAA rosters are set. Plus, the way things are going, who knows what injuries will occur by the time Hart's back (or Hart's injury lingers even longer), so holding on to a player for an extra week or two may prove beneficial.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118708729.html

Roenicke's comments today make it seem like Stetter and Almonte will both make the team. Not sure I like either move, especially keeping Almonte. I think he'll disappoint pretty quickly in a pinch-hitting role. Spring number don't mean much, even though he has been on fire all spring.

Archived