Brewer Fanatic

What the roster "bubble" looks like

Hi guys,

I'm new here, been reading BrewerFan for a couple of years, gradually becoming a bigger and bigger fan.

Can someone make a quick breakdown of who are the "bubble" guys as far as making the roster? Who's "in" and "on the outside looking in." I've been reading alot of names being thrown out the past couple of days (Kotsay, Boggs, Almonte, Maldonado,etc) as guys trying to make the roster this spring and I would like to see it in a clear visual format along with what their position is.

Thanks!

Edit-It would also be really helpful if someone could provide a quick one sentence breakdown of the guys' past history, strengths and weaknesses.

Just trying to sort out everything and all of the moving pieces.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a shot at it:

Pitchers:

DL (guys who would have made the 25)
Greinke

In
Gallardo
Marcum
Wolf
Narveson
Loe
Braddock
Saito
Hawkins
Axford

Probably In:
Parra

Bubble:
Green
McClendon
Kintzler
DiFelice (edit: thanks Baldkin)

Probably Out:
James
Egan
Rivas
Rodgers
Scarpetta
Stetter

Position Players:
DL (guys who would have made the 25)

In
Fielder
Weeks
Betancourt
McGehee
Braun
Gomez
Hart
Counsel
Lucroy

Probably In:
Kotsay

Bubble:
Kottaras
Nieves
Boggs
Dickerson
Cruz
Almonte

Probably Out:
Maldonado
Gamel
Ferris
Reed (edit: forgot about him)

Good summation, although I think DiFelice is on the bubble as well. If he can get that cutter working again he has a legit shot of being in the bullpen.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A little different format, mainly because I think differently... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Also, I added in parenthesis if a player has an option remaining (Y/N) for the bubble type players (who cares if Fielder or Greinke has an option remaining).

Pitching:

Greinke - DL

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Rodgers (Y) / Rivas (Y)

6) RP - Braddock

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Hawkins

9) RP - Axford
10) RP - Parra

11) RP - Loe

12) RP - Green (N) / James (Y) / McClendon (Y)

Position Players:

Lucroy - DL

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

19) RF - Hart

20) C - Kottaras

21) BU IF: Counsel

22) BU C: Nieves (N) / Maldonado (Y)

23) BU OF: Dickerson (Y) / Boggs (N)

24) Utility: Kotsay (N) / Cruz (N) / Almonte (MiLB contract?)

Last spot:

25th) Anyone who loses out from spot 12 or 24.

Probably Out:

SP - Scarpetta (Y)

SP - Merklinger (Y)

SP - Peralta (Y)

RP - Kintzler (Y)

RP - DiFelice (MiLB contract)

RP - Egan (Rule 5 draft)

RP - Stetter (Y)

IF - Gamel (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

OF - Reed (MiLB contract)

Edit: tweaked the 25th spot.

some position battle questions

who winning the last battle for the infield between almonte and cruz. i see almonte hitting for a good avg, but i see him alot at first is that his only postion?

the second battle for the bullpen seems to be shaping up between green and knitzler. they are both throwing well according to the box scores,but was wondering what the fans who see them pitch think.

Finally which one of Boggs ,Dickerson and Reed are in the lead for that last outfield spot.

Is it possible Hawkins starts the season on the DL?

Also, if Gamel is still hurt - I believe he will be on the DL. It doesn't really matter, except that he will continue to earn a MLB paycheck. Hart is another candidate to start on the DL.

I'm just pointing out that some players on the "bubble" might make the team for a week or two until the regular players get back.

I still wouldn't rule out Farris. He's definitely a long shot, but he's getting a lot of AB's, he's doing well, he's getting time at SS, and Roenicke loves speed.

Here's my list (includes non-roster with official major league invites)

Pitchers:

In: Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson, Loe, Braddock, Saito, Axford

In if healthy: Parra, Hawkins, Rogers

Likely in: Green

Bubble: McClendon, Kintzler, DiFelice, James

Longshots: Egan, Merklinger

No chance: Rivas, Scarpetta, Stetter, Peralta, Dillard, Mercedes, Dillard, Hinton, Segovia,

DL: Greinke

Position Players:

In: Braun, Gomez, Hart, McGehee, Betancourt, Weeks, Fielder, Counsell, Kotsay

In if healthy: Lucroy

Likely in: Nieves, Dickerson

Bubble: Kottaras, Boggs, Almonte, Cruz

Longshots: Rivera, Farris, Gamel, Reed

No chance: Maldanado, Gindl, Schafer, Maysonet, Wheeler, De La Rosa, Riggens

Keep in mind that it's been mentioned that they may go with only 11 pitchers. I mentioned Merklinger with an outside shot because if Parra isn't ready they may want another lefty with options for long relief. Reed's got an outside shot at dislodging Dickerson. He's having a very good spring and he's getting a long look.

Update based on recent events:

Pitching:

Greinke - DL

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Peralta (Y) -ok, not a lock, but based on recent events it won't be Rivas or Rogers...

6) RP - Axford

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Hawkins

9) RP - Loe

10 & 11) LHRP - Parra (N)/ Braddock(Y) / Stetter (Y) - Will only take two LH-RPs. Braddock's velocity is down. Parra's injury might be an issue.

12) RP - Green (N) / McClendon (Y) / Kintzler (Y) - Kintzler forcing his way into the picture.

Position Players:

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

19) RF - Hart

20) C - Lucroy - I'll be optimistic here

22) BU C: Kottaras (N) / Nieves (N)

23) BU OF: Boggs (N) / Reed (MiLB contract) - Reed with an opening with Dickerson's injury.

24) Utility: Kotsay (N) / Cruz (N) / Almonte (MiLB contract?)

Last spot:

25th) Anyone who loses out from spot 12 or 24.

Probably Out:

SP - Scarpetta (Y)

SP - Merklinger (Y)

SP - Rodgers (Y)

SP - Rivas (Y)

RP - Egan (Rule 5 draft)

RP - James (Y)

IF - Gamel (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

OF - Dickerson (Y) - Dickerson might be headed to DL or at least MiLB rehab after injury

C - Maldonado (Y)

edit- forgot about Dickerson's injury. thanks TLB

Nice work on compiling these rosters lists, CWH. The only feedback I have is that Dickerson might be a better fit on the "probably out" list after colliding with the Panda a couple days ago.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I personally think Dickerson and Boggs should be ahead of Kotsay, I've listened to most of the games, and tried to read as much as possible, and everyone seems to talk like Kotsay has a roster spot. I don't see them going with a 13-man rotation, even with Greinke missing some time, so that leaves a bench of Counsell, b/u catcher and Kotsay with Dickerson, Boggs, Cruz and Almonte fighting for the final two bench spots.

TLB, was Dickerson hurt in the collision? While that wouldn't be a good thing, it would certainly make the roster decisions somewhat easier. I think Boggs would definitely be in. Almonte has had a great spring, and has a RH bat, which the Brewers could really use on the bench, however, he doesn't really add anything defensively, as they have better backups at any position he plays. Cruz would be nice to have on the bench for defensive purposes, and I'd hate to lose him, as we don't have much SS depth in the minors. However, with a set infield that doesn't take many days off, and Counsell as the primary backup at 2B, SS & 3B, I'd guess Almonte would get the nod over Cruz.

If Dickerson is healthy, I think he'll get a roster spot, and may even "soft platoon" with Gomez in CF. That would mean that only one of Boggs/Almonte/Cruz would make the roster. Cruz has to be the first one out, and for me it's a toss up between Boggs and Almonte.

Another wildcard is Hart's situation. If he misses much more time, he may need some extended ST to get his timing down. Hopefully he's playing again soon, so this won't be an issue, but if he's not with the Brewers on opening day, then I'd have to think Dickerson and Boggs would both be on the roster.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Anyone think they come to realize that Counsell might play like a 40 yr old slap hitter with reduced defensive skills?

Maybe cut him loose and keep Almonte for when a bat is needed and Cruz when defense is a priority.

While I personally think Dickerson and Boggs should be ahead of Kotsay, I've listened to most of the games, and tried to read as much as possible, and everyone seems to talk like Kotsay has a roster spot.
i look at it this way . . . if kotsay's spot on the roster is such a sure thing, why is there a clause in his contract that calls for a bonus based on his roster status?

Dickerson is back...

Today's Schedule: Gomez out again; Betancourt, Braun return

e-mail print By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel

March 16, 2011 4:38 p.m. |(0) Comments

Phoenix - With the regular season drawing nearer, the Brewers will get about half their starters some playing time in their only under-the-lights game of the spring tonight vs. Seattle in Peoria (9 p.m. MKE time).

But CF Carlos Gomez, who has been stinging the baseball this spring, will sit out his third consecutive game with back stiffness.

The good news in center is that Chris Dickerson, who was involved Monday in a violent base-path collision with the Giants' Pablo Sandoval, will play. At the time, it looked like Dickerson was seriously hurt, but he escaped with a side-muscle tweak.

SS Yuniesky Betancourt, who missed the last two games with a thigh pull, returns.

LF Ryan Braun, who played two innings the last two days with a side strain, is back as well.

1B Prince Fielder, gets the night off. That means the Brewers will get another look at Erick Almonte, who is impressing the coaches with his versatility on a beat-up team. He's in the running for a utility job, along with switch-hitter Brandon Boggs. Boggs will be in right for Corey Hart (lat), who is still a week or so away from returning.

Another guy trying to make the team, Mat Gamel, will DH for the second consecutive game after missing a lot of camp with an injury. He's expected to go in at third base for Casey McGehee at some point in the game. The Brewers need to look at Gamel over there before making roster decisions.

Yovani Gallardo, the No. 1 until Zack Greinke (ribs) returns, will get a chance to stretch it into the fifth against Seattle. Greinke is still rehabbing by riding an excercise bike. The Brewers hope to get him throwing again soon.

Why would Cruz be the first one out? The Brewers are exceptionally thin at SS with Betancourt hurt and terrible and Counsell being 41. They really can't afford to toss aside Cruz to hang onto Boggs.

I would like to see us hold onto Cruz, and think Kotsay should be gone. However, it seems Kotsay is going to be on the roster, so in my opinion the need for a decent RH bat on the bench outweighs the need for a third string SS. Cruz really doesn't qualify as a decent RH bat off the bench relative to Boggs (swtich hitter) or Almonte. The need for a RH pinch hitter arises much more often then the need for two utility IF to play at the same time. If the game's on the line with a lefty on the mound, I'd much rather see Boggs or Almonte at the plate over Cruz.

I have questions about Counsell, but haven't said anything, because I don't think that there is any chance the Brewers would cut him in favor of Cruz. Nor, for that matter, would they make Cruz the primary backup with Counsell relegated to third string... at least not due to Spring Training results. If Cruz accepts a AAA position, and Yuni/Counsell both stink up the joint, then it is possible he could see MLB playing time. However, my guess is that we lose him if he isn't on the 25-man, and when Yuni/Counsell suck, we're stuck with no backup plan.

Again, it would be easier to dump Kotsay and keep Cruz and one of Boggs/Almonte, but if we insist on keeping LH Kotsay, LH Dickerson & LH Counsell along with the backup catcher, then we'll need the RH Almote or switch-hitting Boggs on the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

On the shortstop point, I would add that Cruz is easily replaceable. If Betancourt stinks and somebody rips up the picture in Counsell's attic -- either or both of which could easily happen -- that would definitely be bad. I just don't see how having Cruz around would make the situation any better. He's who you call when you just need a warm body to fill the position, and there are a bunch of guys like him hanging around AAA at any given time.

i'm wondering if braddock is on the bubble and if stetter has a better chance. i realize stetter is just coming back from an injury, but braddock hasn't been exactly sharp in camp.
i went to bed before braddock came in last night, so i don't know exactly how it played out. the box score sure looked ugly for him. i predict braddock won't be on the 25-man roster, and that a healthy stetter and a healthy parra will.

however, i have every bit of faith that braddock will be back with the club at some point in 2011.

I've got a gut feeling that Cruz is going to be a late bloomer, like McGehee. And since the Brewers started using him in the OF also, I think they are trying to keep him around.

I doubt they will keep both Boggs and Dickerson as OF backups, as both are CF types and don't have the stick for the corners. If they had a more reliable corner OF in AAA (Gindl is new to AAA and Gamel hasn't really played OF at all), I'd think there was more of a chance for Dickerson and Boggs to both stick around.

And I'm glad that my knee-jerk reaction to putting Dickerson on the "Probably Out" list immediately prompted his return! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I guess I thought he was out a couple weeks. Probably mixing him up with Gindl...

A whole day later and more updates...

(Y/N) is for if the player has an option remaining (Yes/No)

Pitching:

Greinke - DL

1) SP - Gallardo

2) SP - Marcum

3) SP - Wolf

4) SP - Narveson

5) SP - Peralta (Y) -ok, not a lock, but based on recent events it won't be Rivas or Rogers...

6) RP - Axford

7) RP - Saito

8) RP - Hawkins

9) RP - Loe

10 & 11) LHRP - Parra (N)/ Braddock(Y) / Stetter (Y) - Will only take two LH-RPs. Braddock's velocity is down. Parra's injury might be an issue.

12) RP - Green (N) / McClendon (Y) / Kintzler (Y)

Position Players:

13) 1B - Fielder

14) 2B - Weeks

15) SS - Betancourt

16) 3B - McGehee

17) LF - Braun

18) CF - Gomez

19) RF - Hart - Starting to worry that he won't be ready...

20) C - Lucroy - based on his own words, he will be ready.

22) BU C: Kottaras (N) / Nieves (N) - Assuming Lucroy is ready to go, its BU-C Highlander: There can be only one!

23) BU OF: Boggs (N) / Dickerson (Y) - I overstated Dickerson's injury here... currently day-to-day.

24) Utility: Kotsay (N) / Cruz (N) / Almonte (MiLB contract)

Last spot:

25th) Probably one from #23 or #24. Long shot that we carry 13 pitchers. Especially if Hart is not ready to go (and not on the DL).

Probably Out:

RP - Egan (Rule 5 draft)

RP - James (Y)

IF - Gamel (Y)

IF - Farris (Y)

OF - Reed (MiLB contract)

C - Maldonado (Y)

C - Rivera (MiLB contract)

Optioned to the MiLB:

SP - Scarpetta

SP - Merklinger