Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke has fractured rib; Latest-- May miss more than 3 starts, possibly all of April

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing as he hasn't thrown for a couple weeks, he probably will be starting from scratch actually. Even if he takes 4 starts before he's ready, that will likely put him in line to start April 26. I think that's been the plan all along. We will have to fill 2 starts, no big deal.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Over 3 starts? Not really close to a win. Let's assume that Greinke has a great season and over 33 starts his WAR is 6.5. Now let's replace him for 3 starts with a below replacement level player say -1.0 WAR over 33 starts. That comes to about 2/3 of a win. And that is pretty much at the maximum.

I'm not talking about "WAR" or relative value, I'm talking real life value.

Over 3 games of Marco Estrda, I think there's more than a good chance Zach Greinke would lead us to another win.

Games aren't played with players earning 7.1 wins over a replacement player, or whatever number you want to assign to a guy. Those are nice numbers to compare players and evaluate them.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Seeing as he hasn't thrown for a couple weeks, he probably will be starting from scratch actually. Even if he takes 4 starts before he's ready, that will likely put him in line to start April 26. I think that's been the plan all along. We will have to fill 2 starts, no big deal.

I dont understand the concept of giving him starts in the minors or in az camp. When hes ready to pitch, he should be on the roster pitching out of the bullpen (of course with normal starting pitcher rest) until he has the arm stregnth to start. Pitch 3 innings or whatever and finish your pitch count in the bullpen after the game. Do we realy need a 5th outfielder at the expense of the teams best pitcher?

I dont understand the concept of giving him starts in the minors or in az camp. When hes ready to pitch, he should be on the roster pitching out of the bullpen (of course with normal starting pitcher rest) until he has the arm stregnth to start. Pitch 3 innings or whatever and finish your pitch count in the bullpen after the game. Do we realy need a 5th outfielder at the expense of the teams best pitcher?

There is just a litany of reasons why I think this is a bad idea..with all due respect.

I don't care what happens in a minor league game, I do care what happens on the big league side. I suspect Greinke's the same way. So if the goal is to just build up arm strength, I'd prefer low leverage situations where he doesn't feel compelled to throw that 1-2 slider when his arm is already tiring. Where he doesn't feel the need to reach back for a little bit extra when he's just getting his arm going.

Where he can throw 15 straight fastballs, know they're going to sit on it and not care.

Just let him get healthy and strong in the minor leagues. If he'd pitched half the year and we were in the race, then I could see this argument a little bit better, but as it is, I just don't think having him stretch out during big league games is a good idea.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I kind of figured this already. I thought April 26 was the target, and it's still a possibility. Not very surprised, but yes it does suck.

Let's say he throws off a mound this weekend. If that happens then maybe he pitches in a game on April 11 for about 30 pitches or so. Then 45-50 on April 16, and 60-65 on April 21. That puts him in line to make a start on April 26 with about an 80 pitch max or so. I think it's a possibility that we'd give him that start. If not than maybe May 1, or someone around there.

Even if he misses all of April, that's only 3 starts that need to be filled by a 5th starter. Not as big of a deal as it's going to be made out to be.
Maybe not as far as wins and losses, but it is when you consider he is set to make approx $2 million during that time

Is cost relevant at this point?

The cost is relevant for people who believe that athletes should not be able to live normal lives outside of their professions (i.e. playing basketball if they feel like it)

Maybe not as far as wins and losses, but it is when you consider he is set to make approx $2 million during that time

Believe it or not, this is not the first time that someone under contract has gotten injured and continued to earn their salary in spite of not actually playing. There's really no point in dwelling on it.

Believe it or not, this is not the first time that someone under contract has gotten injured and continued to earn their salary in spite of not actually playing. There's really no point in dwelling on it.

Agreed, players get hurt all the time. Including high paid players like Greinke. I really don't care about the money, I just want Greinke healthy and pitching asap.

Considering he was playing pick up basketball after ST had started, I think its relevant. Melvin said himself that had the injury been more serious there probably would've been some consequences. I digress. I agree - just want him healthy and helping us win

Here's the silver lining in this that no one is mentioning....if he misses a month at the beginning of the season, wouldn't that make him stronger come the end of the season? Granted, things have to fall into place to get to the postseason, but that sure could help!

Here's the silver lining in this that no one is mentioning....if he misses a month at the beginning of the season, wouldn't that make him stronger come the end of the season? Granted, things have to fall into place to get to the postseason, but that sure could help!
Yeah, very true. Greinke would still be very strong come September and October. Probably our strongest pitcher at that point.

Even if he misses all of April, that's only 3 starts that need to be filled by a 5th starter. Not as big of a deal as it's going to be made out to be.

It's a sunk cost. It was spent whether or not he was injured.

Considering he was playing pick up basketball after ST had started, I think its relevant. Melvin said himself that had the injury been more serious there probably would've been some consequences. I digress. I agree - just want him healthy and helping us win

One minor quibble- wasn't it before ST started?

One minor quibble- wasn't it before ST started?

http://www.jsonline.mobi/...mart&c=y

Not that things went smoothly in spring training. Forgetting that the Brewers are paying him $13.5 million a year to play baseball, Greinke cracked a rib playing pickup basketball after camp started and will open the season on the disabled list.

Archived