Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke has fractured rib; Latest-- May miss more than 3 starts, possibly all of April

that much fresher for October. I'm OK with this.
yeah, exactly. If this is the worst that it gets for him this year then that's fine with me.

Still, a pretty dumb way to do it. On MLB Tonight, Rosenthal was on the phone and said he plays hoops all the time in the off-season. Supposedly went up for a rebound, landed awkwardly and fell on his side. Tough break.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he'll be back by the 16th. They said he could pitch with it if he needed to. We may be able to get by with just one spot start. That wouldn't be so bad. I think it is a must to go with Gallardo on opening day, as well as the 5th and 10th. I really don't wanna see a spot starter getting a start in the Cubs series. Roenicke and Melvin better be smart enough to put our other 4 guys on an every 5th day schedule until Greinke is back.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The JS comments section makes me appreciate BrewerFan so much more.

Amen brother. Amen.

Haha, yeah there's some real idiots over there. Saying the season is over, and we should've traded Fielder and Hart while their value was high. Saying it was dumb to trade for Greinke. Lol. It's good to read for a couple laughs.

A few positives:

1) Guy has balls of steel, if anyone has ever bruised and fractured your ribs, that is not pleasant at all. This guy went out pitched two live games and didn't even want to take a day off from practice. This is the toughest you want out of a starter.

2) Even though he got hurt, he will start throwing again in two weeks, and only miss two starts, three max I am guessing. Plus Yo will get the opening day nod I'd guess.

3) I am confident that the new 5th starter will be Mark Rogers for the first 2 games (maybe Parra if he gets back to health). The way Mark pitched in September I am not nervous that we would be a liability to put on the mound or put us in a position to lose those 2 starts.

Negitives

Well we will have to beat the Reds without one of the best pitchers in the game on the mond.

1) Guy has balls of steel, if anyone has ever bruised and fractured your ribs, that is not pleasant at all. This guy went out pitched two live games and didn't even want to take a day off from practice. This is the toughest you want out of a starter.

I'd rather he had gotten a proper medical opinion right away & mitigated the time he'd miss. Imo it's equal parts stupid & gutsy, and in either event it means he's missing more regular season time instead of ST time.

Frankly, any time an ace like Greinke has to miss is a big deal -- basically any replacement is going to be a big step down. The division might only be decided by a game or two, and could well end up being decided by Greinke getting hurt playing pickup basketball. I don't agree with the sentiments that this is no big deal. Is it better than if he'd miss time closer to the end of the season? Maybe, maybe not.

3) I am confident that the new 5th starter will be Mark Rogers for the first 2 games

I'm not. Rogers has obviously missed tons of time due to injury in his career, and has had tightness in his shoulder this ST. I don't think he can necessarily be counted on at all this season (and this is from someone who is a 100% believer in Rogers).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Does Greinke get paid for the time he is missing because (I assume) he violated his contract?
That would be nuts if playing pickup basketball was in violation of his contract, but I guess you never know. It's not like he was cliff diving or something.

It just occurred to me that this pretty much ends any chance of going with an 11 man pitching staff. It will be interesting to see who gets the spot starts, with Parra and Rogers slowed by injuries.

I think they'll just end up going with the 4 we have all on every 5th day, and then we'll only need to fill 2 starts max. I think Parra will most likely get them if he can even go 3 or so innings, and we'll just go bullpen heavy in those 2 games. Not that big of a deal. I don't see them pushing Rogers just so he can start 2 games for us.

And by the looks of things on the JS blogs and elsewhere, a bunch of "fans" have also injured themselves jumping off the bandwagon http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Bravo.

If Greinke loses 3 starts, this is not a big deal at all. That's probably less than .5 wins lost. Unfortunate, but as long as he can get healthy, we have no reason to worry.

That said, I'm disappointed that we'll have to wait 3 starts to watch him.

I hate hearing news like this because for whatever reason it seems like it ALWAYS takes longer to get back than originally expected. Any type of setback and we're looking at May. Not trying to sound overly pessimistic, just disappointed.

Even if he has to miss 5 starts, it would likely be CIN, ATL, PIT, WAS, and HOU. That would take the team through most of April, and it doesn't look like he'll miss many games the team needed him to win. The team will be fine. Like others have said, better now than later.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

He should have to forfeit the money he's supposed to be receiving for the time he will miss. To be playing basketball during ST is just dumb. The Brewers should not have to pay someone to sit on the bench because of a non-baseball related injury.

Didn't Tom H say that Mark Rogers was going to start a game here very soon? I found some Mark Rogers news and this was posted about a week ago,

The news also was better on right-hander Mark Rogers, who was

pushed back last week after experiencing tightness in the back of his

shoulder. He has a ways to go before pitching in games but played long

toss the previous day and said his shoulder "felt great."

"I was

encouraged," said Rogers, who hopes to throw live batting practice some

time soon. "I didn't take a day off from throwing, so I don't think I'm

that far behind.

"It was just a little pause. Now I'm ready to move forward."

link

Sounds like Mark Rogers is ready to go in ST.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

He should have to forfeit the money he's supposed to be receiving for the time he will miss. To be playing basketball during ST is just dumb. The Brewers should not have to pay someone to sit on the bench because of a non-baseball related injury.

The Brewers aren't going to ask their new prized player to forfeit a few game checks over this situation, regardless if it was a dumb thing by Greinke to do.

Given the brutal interleague schedule and how close the teams are in the Central I can't be as unconcerned about the injury. If the Brewers miss the playoffs it will probably be a very minor margin and something like this could easily be part of why they miss it. Even 3 starts is enough to be a concern.

I was at Zack's first start this spring and was standing next to the bullpen while he was warming up. After every pitch he grunted. Not an "I'm throwing really hard grunt" but more of a "that hurt" grunt. Once the game started you could hear it in the ballpark. It sounded to me like he shouldn't have been pitching.

I'm concerned about the injury since who knows if it will nag him during the season or be something that could be re-injured easily (I'm guessing not), but if he only misses 3 games and is fine after that, it's not the end of the world. The Brewers might not have won all 3 of those games with him on the mound, anyway, and they still might win them without him.

Melvin said Greinke did not violate his contract by playing a game of pick-up basketball, which is how he was injured near the start of camp.

"The contract stipulates against playing 'competitive' basketball," said Melvin. "They don't want you playing in men's leagues or things like that. If he had suffered a severe injury playing in a men's league, there probably would be repercussions with his salary.

"I talked with Zack about it. I heard from him first-hand today about it. I told him there's no sense having any mystery about it, to just say what happened. He could go out and get hurt playing golf. You never know what players are going to do. You just ask guys to be careful with what they do."

Full Text

[quote author=danzig6767 wrote:

[/b]

The Brewers aren't going to ask their new prized player to forfeit a few game checks over this situation, regardless if it was a dumb thing by Greinke to do.

Plus, they want Greinke to be happy in Milwaukee so he will want to stay in Milwaukee long-term. Nickel-and-diming him wouldn't be a good move.

Archived