Brewer Fanatic

Good article (blog entry) on Gomez's new approach

Regarding the "Have it of you don't" comment on plate discipline. Richie Sexson comes immediately to mind as a guy who didn't take walks at all when he came up, but ended up being an 80-90 walk guy later on. Now granted, that's just one example off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

If you look at Sexson's #s in the minors, he was at .278/.344. Perhaps it took him a little while to get acclimated to Major League pitching, but it seems he was always pretty adept at drawing walks.

I for one think Gomez should be trying to bunt for hits more often. He had 30 in 2008 with the Twins. In the two years since, in about 50 more trips to the plate, he has 17. I realize for most players who can actually hit bunting is often a negative outcome and bad strategy but with Carlos it's one of the few ways he can add offensive value from the batter's box.

Also, while it certainly helps to have a good approach from the start patience/plate discipline is in many cases the last tool to develop for most players along with power.

His speed is wasted in front of our good hitters. His speed would be best leveraged in the lower part of the order ahead of bad hitters where small ball makes sense.
I completely agree. Why put him in front of Braun, Fielder and Hart when you can put him in front of Lucroy and the pitcher where he will actaully have the green light to steal at any time with hitters in front of him who are less apt to drive him in from first base. Put him in the 7th or 8th spot so he can steal a base once in awhile and score on a single.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I can see it already. Gomez on first with two outs. He steals 2nd successfully. Then Prince is intentionally walked. I think I'd rather have Prince have a go at it with a runner on first then Hart/McGehee with runners on first and second.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I agree you don't bat him second (unless he is getting on base at a .350-.400 clip) But if he is getting on base that much I think it is fine because you want guys like Weeks and Gomez who can take extra bases on a hit. Gomez is on first, Braun hits a double, Gomez has the ability to score from 1 to home on that where almost no other Brewer could. He generates more RBI's with his speed for our big bats. Plus pitchers are distracted with him on first which could lead to a couple more mistakes down the middle to Braun or Fielder. That all hinges on if he can prove to get on base but I just don't see him making that big of a gain this season.

My favorite line ups are where we have our 5 top hitters in the top 5: Hart and Mcgehee in 2 & 5 or vis versa

Weeks, Hart, Braun, Fielder, McGehee

Weeks, McGehee, Braun, Hart

He don't have a true 2nd hitter because Yuni & Gomez don't get on base enough. Lucroy has the ability to in the future and I would not be opposed to it but not sure if he is ready yet.

If Braun hits a double Hart or Weeks could easily score on that as well. I still don't understand why people ignore guys dancing around on 1B can also distract the hitter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived