Brewer Fanatic

1957 World Series Game 3 online(complete broadcast)!

The company that owns TVS Sports has a

website with some classic television broadcasts that are complete.

No way to post a direct link but if you go here and scroll down to baseball it will offer you Game 3 of the 1957 World

Series as NBC showed it. Mel Allen starts the broadcast gushing about

the good people of Sturtevant, Wisconsin who greeted the Yankees TRAIN

arrival.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The relief pitcher for the Braves in the first inning is the anti-Todd Coffey. He took forever to walk from the pen to the mound. By my count, it took him a minute and 6 seconds. Amazing.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Thanks for the link. Though it started out badly when the Paul Michael Glaser Consolidated Credit ad popped up on my screen...... I had successfully forgotten about that thing.... used to be on ESPN every five minutes or so.

At any rate, a couple of thoughts. Did I hear that the Yankees stayed in Burlington? I wonder why. Also, was Pizarro warming in the pen after the second hitter? I wish that Sveum would have had done the same with Suppan in game 4. Doesn't Pizarro still live in the Milwaukee area?

The relief pitcher for the Braves in the first inning is the anti-Todd Coffey. He took forever to walk from the pen to the mound. By my count, it took him a minute and 6 seconds. Amazing.
That pitcher was Juan Pizarro who later would be involved in a trade that may well have changed the history of baseball in Milwaukee. Following the 1960 season in which the Braves finished 2nd, albeit a distant 2nd to the Pirates, the GM, the infamous John McHale, in a move of utter desperation traded not one but two prized young pitchers, Pizarro and Joey Jay for overrated SS Roy McMillan (Pizarro was then moved by the Reds to the White Sox).

Jay and Pizarro combined to go 35-17 in 1961. Jay led the Reds to the 1961 pennant with a 21-10 record which he followed up with another 21 win season the following year. Pizarro went 61-38 in a 4 year stretch with the Sox.

Meanwhile, McMillan never did squat for the Braves, nor did the young pitchers brought up to replace Jay and Pizarro (Bob Hendley and Don Nottebart) and the Braves sunk further in the standings, prompting the sale of the team after the 1962 season. The rest is history.

It's not much of a stretch to conclude that had they held on to Jay and Pizarro to go with Spahn and Burdette, the Braves likely would have won another pennant and may still be in Milwaukee.

Archived