Brewer Fanatic

Who's Your Favorite Longshot to Make the MLB Roster?

davemakovec
Brewer Fanatic Staff
Forgive me as this was probably covered elsewhere but does Boggs have any options left? Can he be sent to Nashville?. I like Boggs better than Kotsay on so many levels...

No options remaining, guessing he'd clear waivers and accept a spot with the Sounds.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure why it's a foregone conclusion that Dickerson has earned a spot over Boggs. Boggs seems to be hitting pretty well, and you also have to consider that Dickerson has an option left and Boggs does not (to the best of my knowledge). It would be nice to have a switch hitter on the club for a change as well.

Normally I would agree with keeping as many guys as possible but not this year. We are at a point where every single win is important. Dickerson platooned with Gomez would probably help add a win or two.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Katin. The guy can straight up obliterate the ball.
26 HR's and a .962 OPS in 336 AB's last season in AAA ... plus a .382 OBP ... the guy rakes against lefties, he'd be great to have in a platoon role in RF if Hart's injury goes longer than expected. For whatever reason the Brewers don't seem high on him though

In contrast with Katin's .962 OPS & 26 HR's, Almonte had 2 HR's and a .792 OPS in about the same amount of at-bats in AAA ball (he did bat .320, OBP of .377). Why exactly is Almonte getting more props than Katin again?

I think Boggs is really making a case to make this team. He is hitting very well, he's a switch hitter, and he has no options left. Almonte is playing very well, but I really don't see us keeping him on the roster ahead of Cruz. I could see Dickerson getting sent to AAA, just because of the option he has left. It feels like they are really giving Boggs a shot by giving him lots of ABs this spring. If he continues to hit, I don't see how he won't be on the opening day roster.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Almonte has basically been 1B/DH the past couple of years. If he could actually play SS he wouldn't be a career minor leaguer. Now he'd be a better option than Kotsay since having a LH backup 1B on the Brewers makes little sense. But expecting Almonte to cover the middle infield makes little sense as well.

With Counsell backing up at SS/2B, they really don't need Cruz and his extremely light-weight bat.... Almonte hasn't shown much power at all in the Minors. He did hit .320 in AAA though... I've read that a big part of the problem with Katin is strike-outs, at an almost Russell Branyan pace, without the 3TO amount of walks... I think Boggs is ahead of all of them, but as others have said, Boggs may end up being the 4th OF with Dickerson in Nashville, leaving open a spot...

Cruz had better be a gold glove fielder because that bat might not hit .200 (which brings me to Kottaras: why the fascination with a catcher who can't throw and can barely hit .200? "Chicks dig the long ball" does not compute)

2010 composite NL catcher OPS: .713. Kottaras: .701. His BABIP of .209 really held his AVG down last season, and is almost certainly not going to repeat itself in '11. He has a good walk rate, & hits for power. Guys like that at catcher are rare. Plus, he's a lefty bat to complement the starter Lucroy as a RH.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

2010 composite NL catcher OPS: .713. Kottaras: .701. His BABIP of .209 really held his AVG down last season, and is almost certainly not going to repeat itself in '11. He has a good walk rate, & hits for power. Guys like that at catcher are rare. Plus, he's a lefty bat to complement the starter Lucroy as a RH.
Can't argue with any of that. I will say he is rather poor defensively; especially throwing the ball

I definitely won't argue he's a good defender. I really liked him at the plate last season, even with the relatively poor overall results. Thought he worked the count well, and I just like his approach.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Almonte is not an everyday 2B/SS. However, he could play there for a day or two if needed, if an injury occurs, takes a while to get someone to Miami if Nashville is in Tacoma, or so on. Other than Counsell, who'd be the next SS...I'd guess McGehee or Weeks...oof.

Almonte is not an everyday 2B/SS. However, he could play there for a day or two if needed, if an injury occurs, takes a while to get someone to Miami if Nashville is in Tacoma, or so on. Other than Counsell, who'd be the next SS...I'd guess McGehee or Weeks...oof.
Maybe Kotsay could play 2B or SS also. Heck bring in Braun he played in the infield at one point.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Almonte is listed at 6'2 245 and certainly looks the part. I doubt he could play there for even a day or two.

This is why I think Cruz still has the spot locked down. He can actually play 2b, 3b, and ss. And they even put him out in the of to try him there. He can't hit as well, but at least he is capable in the field at multiple positions. Almonte really isn't.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

endaround is right. Almonte's strictly a 1B/DH/PH. Almonte is battling Boggs though, not Katin who has no shot.

Cruz is by no means a lock. Dadofeandrew is right about one thing. Cruz can't hit a lick.

Anyone else notice that Farris has seen some time at SS? That's a sign to me that Cruz is in trouble. Maysonet could give them protection at SS in Nashville as well, so if they lost Cruz on waivers, it's not a great loss.

Almonte has also played a little in RF so that could be a possible option in a pinch. With our little depth at SS (Yuni can't play D, Cruz can't hit, Counsell getting old, and our most promising SS still a couple years away) I think it is important for Farris and even Gennett to start working at SS a lot. Weeks is looked up now so they are blocked and we have a big whole at SS. I don't think Farris will have a shot to make the club to break camp but if he goes to AAA and is starting at SS (Maysonet at 2B) and starts hitting and playing plus D I could see him up by June or July.

Archived