Brewer Fanatic

Who's Your Favorite Longshot to Make the MLB Roster?

davemakovec
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about the disdain for Kotsay? I don't know a whole lot about him except he's somewhat versatile (corner OF, 1B)...
In the past five years, he's put up -1.3WAR total. He just isn't very good.

Kotsay hasn't been roster worthy for 6 years now posting below replacement level stats offensively and defensively every season since 2004. The only value he's held at all has been the ability to play CF which sets the bar incredibly low for a player.

The biggest things that can derail our season is Kotsay getting a lot of AB or Betancourt starting full time all year. We could release both of them tomorrow and the team would likely be better even with in house replacements though I'd like to pick up any warm body capable of playing SS.

So my answer is Cruz, I don't expect much out of him but at least he has a chance of being a major league quality player.

I don't know if Luis Cruz counts, but I think he grabs that last IF spot. He could be a nice late inning defensive replacement for Yuni (although others may argue a replacement period). They will need to be careful about leaning on Counsell too much.

Can you point to something that qualifies Cruz as a defensive whiz worthy of a roster spot on that alone?

His name does not start with a 'Y' or end in "Betancourt".

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'd have to say Mitch Stetter. He was lights out against lefties in 2009 and I hope he can regain his confidence and control so Braddock and Parra aren't relied on to be the Loogy when needed. I've also been a huge Katin supporter but unfortunately DM doesn't feel the same way.

Kotsay hasn't been roster worthy for 6 years now posting below replacement level stats offensively and defensively every season since 2004. The only value he's held at all has been the ability to play CF which sets the bar incredibly low for a player.

The biggest things that can derail our season is Kotsay getting a lot of AB or Betancourt starting full time all year. We could release both of them tomorrow and the team would likely be better even with in house replacements though I'd like to pick up any warm body capable of playing SS.

So my answer is Cruz, I don't expect much out of him but at least he has a chance of being a major league quality player.

That's a complete overstatement on Kotsay. Three of the last 6 years he's posted very similar numbers: .275/.332/.386 in 06; .276/.329/.403 in 08; and .278/.327/.390 in 09. Those aren't great for an everyday player, but certainly roster worthy of a part time player. Add in the fact he has postseason experience and I'll take him as a bench player over inexperienced alternatives.

...And in 2010, he posted a .239/.306/.376 line. Going forward, he probably projects as a .250/.325/.375, being very generous. In the past two seasons, he's played only 175 innings in the outfield along with 600 at 1B, and there's a reason he doesn't see any time in the outfield.

He can't play the outfield and he doesn't hit very well. He just isn't a major league quality player anymore.

Three of the last 6 years he's posted very similar numbers: .275/.332/.386 in 06; .276/.329/.403 in 08; and .278/.327/.390 in 09

All of those while being one of the worst defensive CF in the game. His WAR by season since 2006 are 0.3, -1.1, 0.5, -0.3, -0.7. I'll give you 2005 being roster worthy but overall over the past 5 years a mediocre AAA player would have helped his teams as much as he did. All of that while mostly paying with the platoon advantage as well. There is no way he deserves a major league contract or a roster spot at this point.

I have no problem with Kotsay, we have been very good at bring old veterans and having them produce. It is not like they gave him some massive deal that they can't get ride of him if he struggles. I feel having another veteran bat to come of the bench is really not that bad of a thing.

Eric Farris would be my favorite sleeper. Highly unlikely but I feel he offers a lot to the team and new style of play coming off the bench. The one thing I hope is that he gets work at SS as well 2B in AAA.

Jeremy Reed is another guy I poll for. This guy was a big prospect bad in the mid 2000's but has had a bunch of set backs and hasn't ever got back on track.

Kind of feel bad, he had so much going for him. I cheer for him like I would for a Brad Nelson or Dave Krynzel

http://sports.espn.go.com...columns/story?id=1575867

http://www.baseballameric...s/03top10s/whitesox.html

I have no problem with Kotsay, we have been very good at bring old veterans and having them produce.

Of course but in most cases the guys brought in had recent success or some signs they might have success. Not so with Kotsay.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I have no problem with Kotsay, we have been very good at bring old veterans and having them produce.

Of course but in most cases the guys brought in had recent success or some signs they might have success. Not so with Kotsay.

Yeah.....So Kaplers success as a coach for Boston counts? Edmonds batting. 235 in 08 the sitting out all 09? Jeff Cirrilo batting. 249, .205, & .213 the three yrs prior to coming back to Milwaukee? All where guys who careers were over or had played awful recently. Why waste time complaining about Kotsay? Is he going to be an every day player?He will be a 5th OF and a emergancy 1B ( prince doesn't take days off). What's wrong with having a lefty bat with some power on the bench to pinch hit? People act like is an X- factor, he is as expenable as any other bench player outside of Counsel. Prob be gone if Gamel smashes in AAA start the season. I see this as a complete non-issue that gives those who love to complain one more thing. I trust DM and with his track record outside of Suppan ( against any team not the Brewers) he has donean excellent job finding ppl on waviers or older vets who can contribute. There is a reason he is a GM and we are all on a fan forum lol

I fully expect to see DiFelice on the team for the majority of the season, whether he makes the opening day roster or not.

So for long shot, I'll say Luis Cruz, hoping that Betancourt's leash is short.

Katin. The guy can straight up obliterate the ball. He plays in one spring training game and what do you know? Goes deep as usual. Plays again today and gets another hit. Has a strong arm too. At the least he's a nice big bat off the bench and trade bait even if he doesn't pan out with this team. Wait past this year and he could be completely wasted. He's earned a shot.

Why waste time defending Kotsay? Better yet why continue wasting time with bad statistics like BA?

Why waste time critizing a guy who has yet to take a meaning swing for the Brewers? Or a guy who has had a pretty solid career. There is no stat that jumps out and say...oh hell no, this guy doesn't even deserve a spot on the bench. He doesn't strike out much, will take walks, has some pop to drive the ball, and etc. He is no super star but he is solid. I didn't know we needed to have .900 OPS guys sitting on the bench to bat 5-10 times a week. Has Reed, Boggs, Alomonte, or Gamel shown that they deserve a spot or have a track record with any success? I wish Gamel but for the 3rd straight year he has blown his opportunities.

Also why continue to make invalid arguements? The other old vets actually showed something that they would be productive? Wrong. Wasting time with stats like BA? Well look at all the other stats, are they magically that much more impressive? No. Sure I bet you can take this stat plus this stat minus that stat divided by that other stat and find someway to prove a point but fact is most baseball stats are pointless.

Here is a look at a few older vets that were successful and their performance 3 years prior to Milwaukee:

Gab Kapler 32 when signed (05’06’ Boston, 07 retired and coached)

AB 227; 57 H; 14 2B; 3HR; 21 RBI; 30/17 K/BB; .250 BA; .310OBP; .660OPS

Jeff Cirillo 35 when signed (Seattle 02’ 03’ San Diego 04’

824 AB; 190 H; 34 2B; 9 HR;84 RBI; 113:60 K:BB; .231 BA; .270 OBP; .580 OPS

Jim Edmonds 40 when signed (07’ St.L 08’ Cubs & SD, 09’ Retired)

705 AB; 172 H; 34 2B; 4 3B; 32 HR; 108 RBI; 157:96 K:BB; .244 BA .334 OBP; .775 OPS

Mark Kotsay 35 when signed (08’ATL & BOS, 09’BOS &CWS, 10’ CWS)

916 AB; H; 42 2B; 2 3B; 18 HR; 102 RBI; 102:79 K:BB; .265 BA; .321 OBP; .711 OPS

While Kotsay's career has dropped off since his Oakland days he still isn't that terrible

I think Cruz right now will be a lock. Maldonado making the team I think would be awesome for the pure fact that we would have two home grown catchers on our roster which hasn't happened since... i don't even know. Better yet it is a par no one would have expected (always suppose to Salome and Lucroy) and Maldonado has never really been a prospect anyone has talked about. He must be really impressive defensively.

Edit: Maldonado was selected by the Angels in 04' then came over to Brewers in 07' so he is only half home grown

I'd have to agree with Almonte, though it's Erik, or maybe Erick. Cruz can't hit a lick, and Almonte's RH bat, versatility, and ability to go to RF makes him the favorite in my eye, unless Farris shows he can play SS/3B. Also, Almonte is a veteran clubhouse guy, more than likely signed in part to a AAA deal because of this. Not to mention, as a bonus, he's a bench guy, does not need to play every day to develop, and he'll pass through waivers if they need to send him down.

Who did the Crew have a few years ago that had never played in the bigs despite being older, was that Joe Dillon? Almonte reminds you a bit of Joe, has taken walks in the minors, goes the other way a lot. Almonte has played in the majors, but it's been so long ago, it's almost like he never did.

Archived