Brewer Fanatic

Who's Your Favorite Longshot to Make the MLB Roster?

davemakovec

Just curious who you want to make the Brewers' roster that isn't a major player?

For me, it's Mark DiFelice. I just love a guy who throws one pitch, and one pitch only, at 82 miles per hour, and can use it to get major league hitters out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brendan Katin--rather him get that last spot than Kotsay (sucks) or Gamel (would rather he work on defense in the minors). We have enough lefties on the bench and Cruz is not much of a hitter.

I would like to see Katin too. When he connects, it's pretty much gone. Has a great outfield arm too. He would be an everyday player for a Pittsburgh or Washington.
Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

I don't necessarily see DeFelice as a longshot. To me, he's proven he's a MLB pitcher, though I realize he's coming off a long injury hiatus. My longshot might be Mike Rivera to not only make the team but play quite a bit at catcher. I just am not sold on Kottaras or Nieves, so I could see Rivera outperforming them in spring and playing quite a bit while Lucroy mends/learns to play every day.

If Carlos Gomez/Dickerson have a bad ST my long shot would be Logan Schafer. He is a very long shot, but if he impresses in ST he should be in the discussion for CF. Gomez/Dickerson were horrible last year and Logan Schafer imo would be an upgrade over them both. Plus, he is a left handed bat.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Eric Farris.

Roenicke likes to run a lot, and having a guy on the bench that has stolen 70 bases in the minors is a nice weapon to have. Plus he hits from the right side.

If they decided to start the year with 11 pitchers, Farris might be the extra guy that sticks around for a while, then be optioned when the 12th pitcher is needed..

I don't know if Luis Cruz counts, but I think he grabs that last IF spot. He could be a nice late inning defensive replacement for Yuni (although others may argue a replacement period). They will need to be careful about leaning on Counsell too much.

Can you point to something that qualifies Cruz as a defensive whiz worthy of a roster spot on that alone?

I don't necessarily see DeFelice as a longshot. To me, he's proven he's a MLB pitcher, though I realize he's coming off a long injury hiatus. My longshot might be Mike Rivera to not only make the team but play quite a bit at catcher. I just am not sold on Kottaras or Nieves, so I could see Rivera outperforming them in spring and playing quite a bit while Lucroy mends/learns to play every day.
I like Rivera too, but after today he's gonna be 0-4 on getting starts in spring training games. He hasn't even appeared in a game yet. Hopefully he does soon.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They will need to be careful about leaning on Counsell too much.

Counsell could be the defensive replacement in the 8th/9th inning of every game this year. Its if he has to start more than 1-2 games per week that is going to be too much for him.

Archived