Brewer Fanatic

Hart out with left oblique strain

PrinceEatMeat

This will allow for alot more playing time to Dickerson & Kotsay & Boggs. It'll be interesting to see who, if any of them, will step up. Suffice it to say I think outfield depth is one of our most glaring weaknesses and this situation might shine a light on that.

Here's hoping Corey recovers completely

This will allow for alot more playing time to Dickerson & Kotsay & Boggs. It'll be interesting to see who, if any of them, will step up. Suffice it to say I think outfield depth is one of our most glaring weaknesses and this situation might shine a light on that.
We have as good a 4th OF as most teams could ever hope for (Dickerson). I'm not really sure where the glaring weakness is. I still am baffled by the Kotsay signing, though.

Get well soon, Corey.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

PrinceEatMeat[/b]]Actually, he was reported to come to camp in the best shape of his life. It's just a freak injury. It could happen to anybody. I don't know why people jump on his back just because he got a muscle strain. Happens to everybody.

Yea, but did he stretch out? Since he has a better personality than Gamel I am guessing the injury isn't his fault.

We have as good a 4th OF as most teams could ever hope for (Dickerson).

Mike Cameron jumps immediately to mind. There are probably quite a few other #4 OF in MLB I'd rather have than Dickerson. Its not a huge deal though. I don't get why we'd rather have Kotsay over Inglett, but thats been gone over here, plenty...

Mike Cameron is thirty-eight years old and spent a significant portion of last season on the DL. I'll take Dickerson. Hart's injury was a freak occurrence, but it seems by my personal observation that the Brewers see a lot of oblique strains in Spring Training.

quote from corey hart: "it's just not getting better," he said. "every time i try to do something, it feels like i get stabbed."

is it possible that his tattoos serve to conceal scars from stabbing wounds? how much do we really know about corey hart?

Latest I can find is from yesterday's manager's briefing: Roenicke said RF Corey Hart (oblique) took some dry swings Monday and may be a week away from playing.

However, the same story says Gamel could be ready to play by today, so hopefully he'd be available over Kotsay.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

it is possible that if gamel is available for right field on 31 march and hart needs just a few more days, that the club could keep the 5th starter in the minor leagues to start the season and option gamel to nashville when the 5th starter is needed.

of course, this all assumes that no disabled list time is needed for either outfielder.

Didn't Hart start last year on the DL or was Edmonds the starter on opening day because of a RH pitcher or something? I don't recall the details other than remembering something about Hart not being on the All Star ballot because he didn't start opening day.

hart was available but was benched on opening day. edmonds got the start. hart had a miserable spring training, and many suspected he would be released in the spring as his arbitration-awarded contract was not guaranteed.

We have as good a 4th OF as most teams could ever hope for (Dickerson). I'm not really sure where the glaring weakness is.
Really? I'm still waiting for Dickerson to show something. He hasn't even homered in a Brewer uniform yet, and he's been outplayed by both Boggs and Reed in a big way this spring. If I'm in charge and the season starts today, Dickerson is going to Nashville.

I'll take his 1500 AB's between AAA and MLB as a better predictor over 100 ABs in a Brewer uniform.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Really? I'm still waiting for Dickerson to show something. He hasn't even homered in a Brewer uniform yet, and he's been outplayed by both Boggs and Reed in a big way this spring. If I'm in charge and the season starts today, Dickerson is going to Nashville.

Outfielders Chris Dickerson and Logan Schafer were both sent for x-rays during the Brewers-Giants game in Scottsdale. Dickerson has a right rib-cage injury after a violent collision near third base in the fourth inning, and Schafer injured his right thumb sliding into second base in the fifth.

Dickerson was running from second to third base on Zelous Wheeler's grounder when he slammed, full-speed, into Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval. Both players hit the ground in pain and were tended by athletic trainers. Dickerson walked off -- out on runners' interference -- and Sandoval stayed in the game.

From Monday. Haven't heard anything more about him yet.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'll take his 1500 AB's between AAA and MLB as a better predictor over 100 ABs in a Brewer uniform.
Those stats are nothing earth-shattering, a little speed, middling power and tons of strikeouts. If anything, they demonstrate that he's a quintessential 'AAAA' baller- he's going to be 29 years old soon, and this will likely be the 5th straight season in which he spends time in AAA. I think it's a stretch to call him one of the better 4th outfielders in MLB.

A quintessential AAAA baller? Dickerson has 527 MLB PA, almost a season's worth. He has hit .267/.356/.403, with 20 steals in 26 attempts. He has, by far, the best MLB resume of any centerfielder in the Brewers' camp. Those are not remotely "AAAA" numbers -- for a CF, they're borderline starter numbers. CFs who put up about a .759 OPS last year include Austin Jackson (.745), Angel Pagan (.765), Adam Jones (.767), Shane Victorino (.756), B.J. Upton (.745), and Matt Kemp (.760).

Now, there are decent reasons to question whether Dickerson would cut it as a starter. Having the best MLB resume of any centerfielder in the Brewers' camp ain't much to brag about. He hasn't ever proved himself as an everyday player, and he seems to get hurt enough to raise flags, if not alarms.

But to suggest that he should be cut because of 61 injury-rusted PA as a Brewer and some spring training games strikes me as very short-sighted. If Gomez turns a corner, a healthy Dickerson profiles as an excellent 4th OF. If, as I think is more likely, Gomez keeps being what he's been, Dickerson is a decent insurance policy. Either way, there's no way the Brewers can afford to dump him with the players they have on hand.

Archived