Brewer Fanatic

The Ultimate Tailgate: Best things seen, done, ingested

Brewer Fever

The group I'm attending Opening Day with this year is real serious about their tailgate party. They've gone so far as creating a Facebook group for this year's event. There's also an Opening Day MVP trophy that goes to the person voted as that year's best tailgater. Yes, it's a rowdy bunch and there will be lots of alcohol consumption, beer bongs, beer pong, bag toss, etc. But it isn't all about getting drunk. Last year's winner was female. That's not to say she can't drink with the boys, it just goes to show that she brought more to the party than the ability to shotgun a beer. I'm looking for food suggestions, accessories, and other things people have brought, built, tasted, worn, seen, or heard about that made a tailgate an ultimate experience.

So if you' know of a great tailgating recipe, portable structure, game, tip, or accessory please share it here. I just purchased a pretty cool accessory to bring along, but I'd like to contribute more. My goal is to walk away with the MVP trophy but since it's my first year, I'll be happy just being in the running.

sounds like fun. But, alas, this is also reason #1 why I don't attend Opening Day anymore. Yes, you could argue that it's because I live in AZ, but if I was up there I'd be going all the time--except Opening Day.

Those rare times that I get to Miller Park to catch a game, I understand that there are going to be groups similar to yours that are, primarily, just there to get drunk. I can live with that. But on Opening Day, just about every group is like that and it just takes away the fun from those that think Opening Day is a like a sacred event--something that should be savored all winter and when it gets here, you almost feel like crying as a new season is born. When the party crowd completely outnumbers the baseball crowd, it's not very fun for those trying to watch the game.

I would hope that you have already checked out this thread for snack ideas. I would also suggest a cheesy sausage dip that I make often:

Recipe

1 lb. Monterry Jack, cubed

1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground sausage, any kind (pork and italian works well)

1 small onion, finely diced

1-2 tomatoes, finely diced

1 small-medium tub of sour cream

Brown the meat. Throw everything into a crock pot for about 2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes, until cheese is all melted. Serve with tortilla chips.

I hope you have fun and be safe. Sorry for the soapbox paragraph at the beginning of this post. At least you can tailgate and do something like that in Milwaukee. I've attended several Opening Days in Phoenix and it's a "party" but very subdued, since there is no tailgating and if you want to drink you have to pay up at a downtown PHX restaurant beforehand or do it in the ballpark.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

My suggestion is to sell your tickets to people who will actually remember the game. Use the money you make to buy a trophy for the person in your group who annoys the least amount of people at the game.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Thanks for the recipe pitchleague. That sounds like something that would not only be tasty but relatively portable.

And I guess I didn't do a very good job emphasizing that I'm not looking for drinking suggestions. We'll do our share of drinking but rest assured we will be inside the park in time to watch and enjoy the game. This is a fun group, not one that gets into fights or causes trouble. For example, this is a group that talks more about getting a chance to see Marcum pitch on Opening Day rather than who can drink the most beer.

I'd be thrilled to come away from this thread with a bunch of good tailgate food ideas, tailgate games, handy tailgate tools, and such. I'm not looking to learn a new way to quickly consume alcohol.

Sounds like fun Brewer Fever. Wish I could be there.

The best opening day tailgate I ever had involved us getting there when the parking lots opened and making breakfast foods on a griddle. Something about breakfast food at a tailgate does it for me.

That does sound like a good party. I'm not sure why people feel the need to comment about people that just come to drink and skip the game, since you've clearly stated that your group is not like that.

That being said, I like to supplement the sausage portion of my tailgate with some or all of the following:

--mozzarella cheese, a cherry tomato and some oil & balsamic infused basil on a toothpick - basically caprese salad on a stick;

--the chirizo-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates that were discussed on this site earlier this winter;

--breakfast, always a good idea. Before game 4 of the playoffs, I did steak, peppers and eggs on a skillet over a smokey joe;

--a bloody mary bar is pretty easy to arrange.

Table space is key. You can never have too much, especially if you wind up with a big spread.

That does sound like a good party. I'm not sure why people feel the need to comment about people that just come to drink and skip the game, since you've clearly stated that your group is not like that.

Some of the resident Debbie Downers feel the need to post something along those lines in every thread about partying around MP.

I will second the Bloody's. In my opinion, there is nothing more important for a tailgate. The one thing I miss the most about living in WI is proper bloodies with a sidecar.

"There's also an Opening Day MVP trophy that goes to the person voted as that year's best tailgater. Yes, it's a rowdy bunch and there will be lots of alcohol consumption, beer bongs, beer pong, bag toss, etc."

I have no idea why I initially assumed folks wouldn't be attending the game. /blue.

The best tailgate parties I have seen/attended have always had a theme. I think Christmas in April would be pretty fun. Pick up a Santa suit, spike some egg nog, and pass out Brewers x-mas cookies.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

The bloody marys and the breakfast on the skillet are two fantastic ideas. Seriously. Two new things I could introduce to the group that would make what already is a well-planned and well-supplied event even better. And I intend to bring any folding tables I have, even if told we don't necessarily need them.

And yes I hope people stop assuming this group isn't there for the game. On the facebook page for this event I just read a post from someone who is considering buying the MLB radio package so they won't miss a single spring training game. Besides isn't there a relatively new Opening Day rule requiring a ticket for every vehicle passenger when entering the lots?

Bottom line: We're gonna get there as early as possible, start eating and playing games immediately, have a few drinks, eat more great food, take in a Brewers win, eat, drink, and play some more and then have our non-drinking friends in the group drive us all home. I just want to help make a great event even better.

"Debbie Downers?" I never said that I have a problem with people having a good time. I said I have a problem with people having a good time and forcing it on others that don't particularly want it raining on their own parade.

Believe me, if you could guarantee all the food and drink that I want and a guaranteed designated driver, I'd be all over that. But not on Opening Day. It's too special for me to waste by drinking myself stupid before I even get into the ballpark.

Anyways, hope you like the chesse dip idea, if you use it. The breakfast idea is also a fantastic one, although I don't drink bloody marys (can't stand tomato juice.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I love tailgaiting and do it before every Brewers game i attend. In fact, i often enjoy the pre-game activities as much ore more than the actual game, especially on a nice hot summer day. That said, i've skipped going to opening day over the last few years, to many amateur drinkers that can get belligerent for my tastes.

As for the original post, i love to make it easy when tailgaiting on the food front. Go say to Famous Dave's and pick up some racks of ribs and put them on the grill when it's time to eat along with my delicious potatoes in foil mixture including bacon and fresh green beans. Can't stand bloody mary's though, i honestly think that just might be the worst drink ever concocted. I hate vodka and hate tomato juice though, so it was nearly impossible that i be liking a bloody mary.

One drink i used to like when i did attend opening day games and it was cold outside is this hot apple cider and whiskey concoction that this bar owner's wife always made. I'd go with a bunch of other folks on your typical bar/yellow bus grouping and she's make this fabulous hot apple cider, whiskey, and lemon drink that was nice if it was only in the 30's outside. I'm to much of a wuss for that now though, being outside for hours in the cold ruins any fun for me now. I wait to start attending games when the weather gets warm and the sun is nice and hot blazing on my body. Now that's bliss.

I wait to start attending games when the weather gets warm and the sun is nice and hot blazing on my body. Now that's bliss.
The last few Opening Days have had great weather (vigorously knocking on wood). If it is cold, I'll break out the "adult" hot chocolate.

Last year's weather was awesome. It was like 70 and sunny and then it snowed like 2 days later. That was great. Hopefully this year can be the same.

We don't do anything too exciting, but I do make the beer bath for all the brats to simmer in - beer, butter, kraut (and garlic if i remember)....when the brats are just about done, dump them in there (on the grill) for ten mintues or so. Delicious.

We usually just play bags and things like that.

Opening Day is always brats, can't mess with tradition, but one thing I want to try this season is something I saw on the Travel Channel called a 50/50 burger, it is a half ground beef and half ground bacon patty.

Here is the website of the restaurant, I don't think I'll be adding the fried egg or avacado (at least on the first attempt)

http://www.slaters5050.com/

The last few Opening Days have had great weather

Umm, Opening Day 2009 was under 40 degrees with 35 mph winds! It was miserable. Last year was amazing, though....

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Umm, Opening Day 2009 was under 40 degrees with 35 mph winds! It was miserable. Last year was amazing, though....

Yup. We were huddling between cars. Tough time getting the grill started too. Still had fun, but not ideal weather by any stretch.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Clearly I've blocked that from memory. But now that you mention it, I remember that it was pretty much impossible to light (and keep lit) a grill.

I'm looking for food suggestions,

For my bachelor party last year, my buddies got some exotic meat(i'm a hunter, and they know i don't shy away from odd foods). We had Lion steaks, Black bear, and beaver burgers for the exotic selection(all legal, btw). I wouldn't recommend the beaver, but if you can get your hands on a lion steak, i'm sure it will get you in the running for MVP, based off of coolness alone(not to mention, it was actually really good).

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived