Brewer Fanatic

ESPN Says we're in a slump.

bjkrautk

"Slumping Brewers try to regroup vs. D-backs" is the link to Gameday on the front page.

...I didn't know that losing one game in a series constitutes a slump. Apparently 'only' winning 4 of its first 6 games after the All-Star Break isn't good enough for some people.

I find ESPN doesn't always let the facts get in the way of being the worldwide leader in sports.

In their defense though, our offense is slumping (was before todays outburst). Maybe thats what they meant.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well relative to the Cubs every one in the league is slumping.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'll admit, it got me pretty fired up last night when I got home and turned on Baseball Tonight and within the first five minutes Karl Raveich made reference to the "fading" Milwaukee Brewers. I think it would be more accurate to talk about the "surging" Chicago Cubs, especially since the Brewers still have the best record in the NL. If the Cubs had played .500 ball over the past month and gained 5 games in the standings it would be one thing. But they have been playing out of their minds, and the Brewers have been able to fend them off. I don't even know why I bother with ESPN programming any more. The only reason I did tonight is because I missed the Squeeze Play and wanted to see some highlights of the game.

Do they even look at the standings, or do they just assume that they're the Brewers and must have a losing record at this point in the season?

"Yeah, best record in the NL, in first place in their competitive division, and they have an owner not named Selig. All the makings of a team that must be selling before July 31st! Should we start making up rumors about Sheets going to the Yankees yet?"

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think they say it because it might make the division race more exciting. If the Cubs are surging but the Brewers aren't letting them gain an inch of ground it's not as exciting as them catching up. Thus make seem as though the Brewers are struggleing so people watch everyday to see if the Cubs caught them yet. I have to wonder how long before the Cub fans go from excited that the Cubs are catching the Brewers to frustration that they can't get closer than 3 1/2 games no matter how well they've played. They have to know the won't win at this pace forever.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Karl Raveich and Steve Levy should be wrapped in gasoline soaked rags and thrown into a grill. Together they make for the most unwatchable 2 hours on TV aside from 10 man presidential debates (either party).

ESPN, the wordwide leader in sports we broadcast.

I like the disclaimer on top:

Remember, Brewer fans, this is a Power Ranking -- and you can't deny or ignore how well the Cubbies are playing at the moment. Plus, it's only July, and ... no one is taking this seriously, right?

Seems the ESPN power rankings are based on how well a team is playing at the moment, or perhaps over the past month. So as much as I can't stand ESPN, they're right...I can't deny or ignore the Cubs absolute tear right now. Well okay, I can at least try to ignore it, but I can't deny it.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

The hilarity of the ESPN power ranking system -

The red sox have played 1 game under .500 baseball since June 1, yet they haven't dropped below #3 in power rankings all season.

The Yankees jump into the top 10 any time they have a winning streak of more than 4 games

The Brewers, who currently have the best record in the NL, lose a spot or two in the rankings after going 5-2 right after the all star break.

Do you see any hypocrisy in this? I understand the Cubs have been on absolute fire, and I see why ESPN can justify putting them ahead of other teams with better records based on recent play. The problem with that is the Booyah boys use that technique of judging teams selectively, otherwise Boston should be in the teens right now.

Edit: I hope the Brewers continue to get shafted by media outlets such as ESPN - teams that network roots for have a way of not winning anything anyways.

---------------------

from espn:

Quote:
Looking further down the list, the Chicago Cubs are starting to push their way toward the top, peaking at No. 8 this week. And yes, they're even slightly ahead of the NL Central-leading Brewers. Remember, Brewer fans, this is a Power Ranking -- and you can't deny or ignore how well the Cubbies are playing at the moment. Plus, it's only July, and ... no one is taking this seriously, right?

What i don't get is why don't they say anything usefull about why they placed the teams where they are, they usually just throw a random stat out there about one player. If the cubs are on top of us cause they're hot, why didn't they put colorado on top of some of the other nl west teams when they got hot? Also, both LA and San Diego have played horribly in their last 10, so why is it that some teams are judged by their past week while others are judged by how big their market is?

Quote:
"Slumping Brewers try to regroup vs. D-backs"

So this quote was from at least before yesterday's 10-1 game, right? Any chance it was from even before then?

Even if it was just from before yesterday's game, it's not totally out of line to call us slumping when we're 4-2 coming out of the break with entirely low scoring, squeaker wins.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

In ESPN's defense, there are only so many hours in a day to watch baseball, and they have to take up nine of them watching every single Yankees, Red Sox and Mets game, so there's not much time left for the rest of the league.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived