Brewer Fanatic

Would you want/support an MLS team in Milwaukee?

paul253
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How is that different from the Brewers situation under Selig?
1. It took a state senator changing his mind for Miller Park to be approved.

2. This is more of a baseball state than basketball state imo.

#2 I won't argue even though I think this state just supports whoever is winning.

#1 What does that have to do with Selig's ownership history vs. Kohl's?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well people are still complaining about the Miller Park tax and it got a state senator recalled when he changed his vote to pass the tax. I'd imagine politicians will be wary about how to vote for any public funding for a new stadium based on the fact that we're still paying for the Miller Park tax, a lot of people aren't happy about it and the Bucks sucking doesn't help that.

RyDogg, I've argued this before, but in Wisconsin people are likely to say their favorite hoops team is the Badgers or Marquette (or even UWM). The Bucks are basically inferior (in terms of entertainment value) to the products people can support in UW and MU.
I would agree with you on your first point, because almost everyone in the state is drinking the UW kool aid. However, in my opinion, Badger basketball has no entertainment value whatsoever- it's about as entertaining as watching paint dry. The Bucks were boring last year under Skiles, but the Badgers have pretty much been boring to watch since the mid-90's.

trwi7 - Not sure that was a fluke season by the Bucks. They just didn't know what the next step to take was and then blew up the team/immediate future (i.e. traded Ray Allen).

RyDogg - The company I work for usually gets offered a Nashville Preds suite 5 times a year or so. It's the perfect opportunity to have conversation and also pay attention when one wants to and there is plenty to see. I get the NBA is seen as a league that doesn't try, but I don't always agree with that (though it is true at times). Hockey just has a lot more going on in person. To me, it is the most exciting sport to see in person.

Back on topic...I think Wisconsin needs to focus on the sports they have now. I could maybe see a MLS team if/once the Bucks are gone.

I think the Bucks and Brewers will be followed/increase in attendance if they win. The Packers and likely UW and Marquette will be followed in good times and bad.

Given that statement, not sure how much support a MLS team would receive. What is the smallest MLS market? Are those teams drawing decent crowds?

I don't know how it wasn't a fluke season. They were winning low 40s, then won 50+ and made it to the ECF and then fell back to low 40s wins and missed the playoffs. That's pretty much the definition of fluke.

So it was just a fluke to reach the Eastern Conference Finals and had nothing to do with talent?

The Big 3 wasn't together all that long and other transactions in prior and post years after that probably had more to do with it than a 'fluke' happening, but you and I don't agree all that much on the Bucks so I'll agree to disagree.

They were good, yes however how is it not a fluke? The East was incredibly weak that year and they didn't come close to matching that season in any other season. That is the definition of a fluke.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
RyDogg, I've argued this before, but in Wisconsin people are likely to say their favorite hoops team is the Badgers or Marquette (or even UWM). The Bucks are basically inferior (in terms of entertainment value) to the products people can support in UW and MU.
I would agree with you on your first point, because almost everyone in the state is drinking the UW kool aid. However, in my opinion, Badger basketball has no entertainment value whatsoever- it's about as entertaining as watching paint dry. The Bucks were boring last year under Skiles, but the Badgers have pretty much been boring to watch since the mid-90's.

To most people, winning is never boring.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The 2001 Bucks team was no fluke. Kind of like the Brewers this year, they started like crap and went on a major run. Without the crooked officiating in the ECF, they would have made the NBA finals against a Lakers team that to my best recollection they swept in the regular season. People underrate that team because of the Mason/Karl caused implosion the next year, after which, Karl stupidly blew up the team. It still boggles my mind that Karl traded that entire starting lineup for Joe Smith, Desmond Mason, Toni Kukoc, 30 games of Gary Payton, a first rounder used on T.J. Ford, and a few salary dump guys that never even suited up for them.

i just did some poking around MLS, the smallest market is Columbus, which averages 10K at their last home game. I don't see Milwaukee getting 10000 at a game especially since the brewers are the focus of the city in the summertime. There isn't much going on in Columbus in the summertime

mls attendances

I'd buy a season ticket to an MLS team. I think Milwaukee could support it. Milwaukee's youth soccer program is HUGE and has been for the last 25 years, so most people my age (31) have a better knowledge of soccer than people 10 years older, not to mention families of kids still playing youth soccer. We also have a fairly large hispanic polulation for a midwestern city, amongst which soccer is more popular. But mainly, soccer is just growing in popularity everywhere in the US. Did anyone walk down Brady St. during the world cub? I'd guess we could sell over 10,000 tickets to 20 games a season or whatever. And wouldn't a soccer stadium look great in the Park East Corridor?

• 5 months later...
Just a little bump to this thread. MLS said the D.C. United could pursue relocation options if they can't get a new stadium in D.C. I think Milwaukee should try to get some private investors together a for a new stadium in Milwaukee. Looking at newer soccer stadiums, you could probably build a new soccer only stadium for somewhere between $80-$100 million. Obviously some of that could be raised through the sale of naming rights. And I'd even be willing to guess Marquette and/or UWM would pay some rent in order for their college teams to play there. I'd be ok with the Miller Park sales tax being extended for this if at least half of it is covered by private donations. This would be a boon to downtown. Downtown Milwaukee has improved a lot over the past decade or so, but a stadium down there bringing thousands more people there every game night would really help bars/restaurants/hotels. I was just wondering what people thought here. Would you be willing to have the Miller Park tax cover $50 million for this stadium if it brought an MLS team in?

I would, but since many people think it is a 1% tax (rather than the .1%), and the city of Milwaukee has done nothing to even find a place for a new Bucks' arena, never mind get the ball rolling, I don't think it has a chance, unless a suburb steps forward.

I've looked, Milwaukee isn't even on top ten lists regarding MLS expansion/relocation.

FYI, there will be 19 teams next season, so that's 18 home games, plus a couple international exhibitions. 20 times 18K or so is 360K, about 12% of the Crew's attendance, and all but a game or two is on a Saturday or Sunday. Kansas City just built a state of the art soccer stadium and sold out almost every game, with some people saying it is the best place to play in the world. If KC can do it, Milwaukee certainly "could." It would take an owner such as Mark A to get it done, and if there was a local soccer tycoon, we'd have probably heard of their interest by now.

dadofandrew wrote:

and the city of Milwaukee has done nothing to even find a place for a new Bucks' arena

They don't need to find a place, they already have one. The land north of the Bradley Center that is owned by the Bradley Center and the land north of that that the county owns that they could buy.

Peter Wilt led Milwaukee Professional Soccer LLC to try to bring a team here a few years ago but nothing came of it. They were proposing to build a stadium on the infield of the Milwaukee Mile.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/24451/peter-wilt-leaves-milwaukee-mls-hopefuls.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/07/30/daily4.html

I've looked, Milwaukee isn't even on top ten lists regarding MLS expansion/relocation.

I think this has as much to do with lack of interest than anything. If Milwaukee actually put together a decent proposal including a new stadium, I have to think they'd move up that list.

The land north of the Bradley Center that is owned by the Bradley

Center and the land north of that that the county owns that they could

buy.

Neither piece of land is big enough to build an arena, but with some minor road work it could be done. Juneau Ave between 4th and 6th really isn't all that busy so they could close that. Then when/if they tear down the BC they could extend highland ave to make up for the loss of Juneau. I was actually thinking the exact same spot for the new soccer stadium actually. Build it between 3rd St. and 6th St east to west and from McKinley Ave to near where the BC ends from north to south, closing that three block stretch of Juneau Ave. It'd be great if we could get some private donations for $50 million in renovations to the BC and $50 million for a new soccer stadium. I'd gladly be willing to extend the 0.1% sales tax for that. .1% is a tiny amount and it is going to something that should help a lot of city businesses.

I really want an MLS team to root for, but Milwaukee just isn't a realistic candidate for a team. From what I've read, a second team in New York is nearly a done deal as team #20, and the league plans to sit on that number for a while after rapid expansion over the past few years. There's no great reason to stretch the talent past 20 teams, the typical soccer league size, so the bar to entry will be high.

D.C. United will just move up the highway to Baltimore. Columbus will also likely move eventually, but there are so many markets available that even if Milwaukee is viable, it's a longshot. San Diego, Arizona, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Minneapolis (if they build a joint soccer/football stadium), Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta...

I think with a lot of those cities it all depends on who is willing to build a stadium. I doubt the MLS wants an expansion team in an older football stadium with 30,000 empty seats. And who knows, some of them may not even want a team. The Midwest seems a little underrepresented in the MLS with only Chicago and Columbus having teams. Minneapolis would be a good option IF they build a stadium. As would St. Louis. But I really think if Milwaukee puts a serious proposal on the board they'd have to be considered a decent candidate.

Archived