Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' Wainwright needs Tommy John surgery (Chris Carpenter leaves March 1 game with mild hamstring strain: reply 65)

Mass Haas
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't know, i kinda was looking forward to having such a close three-team race for the Division Championship this year.
This is still a very real possibility. I think the Wainwright injury actually helps this become more likely, and if the Cubs get a little more lucky with injuries this year, it could be a four-team race.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It is worse than just losing him for 2011. They very well might lose him for 2012 and 2013 as well.

If Wainwright finishes the 2011 season on the disabled list, his $9MM option for 2012 and $12MM option for 2013 will not vest.

I would guess coming off TJ he'll sign a one year, incentive laden deal with the Cards to rebuild value and hit FA again in 2013 looking for that big multi year deal. If Ben Sheets got 10 million from the A's last year I'd think Wainwright could get at least that on a one year deal.

i don't know, i kinda was looking forward to having such a close three-team race for the Division Championship this year.
This is still a very real possibility. I think the Wainwright injury actually helps this become more likely, and if the Cubs get a little more lucky with injuries this year, it could be a four-team race.
How were the Cubs unlucky last year? They didn't have any major injuries, they were simply bad. Now they are counting on a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30 (Soriano, Pena, Ramirez, Fukudome) to all reverse downward trends and stay healthy for a full season. In the meantime while many Brewer fans fret over Betancourt, the Cubs go into 2011 with a SS that committed 27 errors in 125 games last year, and Blake DeWitt at 2B? Sure Castro figures to improve some but that's hardly a lock down left side of that infield. DeWitt is just a guy.

I'll grant you their pitching staff could be pretty decent, but they weren't all that bad last year when they won 75 games. Will Wood give their bullpen a boost? Who really knows? Let's see how they do over the course of a season with no left handed starters. That might work against the Brewers but the Reds could maul them.

I see it as a 2 team race between the Brewers and Reds. The Cards still should have enough to hold off the Cubs or whoever for 3rd.

splitterpfj[/b]]I just hate it when stuff like this happens. Yes, this should help the Brewers' chances for this season, but I love good baseball, which requires good players.

I wish him well.

Agreed. I don't feel sorry for anyone, but I do like watching him pitch so I do hope he comes back strong.

As for the Gomes thing. I'll file it under "who cares". The guy is just expressing his excitement for probably becoming the favorites in the division. I'm sure he wouldn't wish an injury on somebody. To me it's just crappy journalism. Why even add that to your story? The guy is inside the clubhouse basically expressing the same thing that all the fans feel (and really think about it- he's actually playing so I'm going to guess he's probably even more excited about their situation than the fans are). It's not like he called a reporter over to talk about how much Wainwright deserves to be injured.

Are they ever amused by anything?

I think this would make for a fascinating spring training interview question.

"So Tony, you seem like a pretty curmudgeonly guy.... is there anything at all that you find enjoyable?

Ummmm........................scotch?

cubsdie[/b]]
PeaveyFury[/b]]Are they ever amused by anything?

"So Tony, you seem like a pretty curmudgeonly guy.... is there anything at all that you find enjoyable?

Insert Anchorman clip here.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

cubsdie[/b]]
PeaveyFury[/b]]Are they ever amused by anything?

Insert Anchorman clip here.

Or Miguel Cabrera. Too soon?

The Cardinals were a mediocre to bad team last year despite a few guys pitching out of their minds, so I don't see how they will be competitive this season without Wainwright. I think that the Reds will be the team to beat for the Brewers.

I agree completely. It was sad that Wainwright went down, but watching LaRussa and Cardinal players put on a defiant face was laughable. LaRussa up there saying they had a deep rotation? Kyle Lohse and his career 4.74 ERA, and 6.55 ERA last year is quality? McClellan? Nice setup reliever, but was made a reliever in the minors because he failed as a starter. How does taking your setup guy out of the pen help you anyway? Yeah Westbrook had some success after coming from Cleveland, but his track record (one full season with an ERA under 4) suggests a few times around the NL and they'll catch up to him. He's fine as a 3-4 starter, but he's certainly no replacement for Wainwright.

Between LaRussa and Dusty, the NL Central boasts a couple of huge pitcher killers eh?

Feel bad for Wainwright, but as with most of you, I have no sympathy for the Cards. Luckily the Mets and Yankees are trying to sign-up all the borderline starters so there aren't a ton of good options out there for the Cards.

Formerly Andersoc420

I don't know, I'd be very concerned if I was a Cardinals fan. As Brewers fans, we've seen a lot of 'Higuera/Sheets situations' start out this way..... pitcher leaves the game....injury termed 'not-serious' by team.... 'will miss a few starts'.... goes on the DL .... 'will start throwing at the beginning of next month'.....' back after the break'.... out for the season..... surgery performed after the season ends.

Looks like the high pitch count got to him.

Seriously, though, this goes to show how random pitching injuries are. Carpenter is a Ben Sheets type, so you expect injury at some point, but few people would have guessed hamstring.

Archived