Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' Wainwright needs Tommy John surgery (Chris Carpenter leaves March 1 game with mild hamstring strain: reply 65)

Mass Haas
The Cardinals now have Carpenter, Garcia, Westbrook, Lohse, and ? as their rotation. Carpenter is still a legit ace, Garcia is pretty good, and Westbrook and Lohse are both 4/5 starters. Whoever the 5th guy is will likely not be very good. I'm guessing they'll look to trade for someone fairly quickly.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cardinals now have Carpenter, Garcia, Westbrook, Lohse, and ? as their rotation. Carpenter is still a legit ace, Garcia is pretty good, and Westbrook and Lohse are both 4/5 starters. Whoever the 5th guy is will likely not be very good. I'm guessing they'll look to trade for someone fairly quickly.

Assuming Carpenter bounces back, and Garcia doesn't have a sophmore slump, the Cards should be ok. How much strain does this put on the bullpen?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

As was mentioned earlier, Carpenter is in his age-36 season. With his long injury history, it's no stretch to say the Cards could be without both him & Wainwright for a majority of the 2011 season.

While it certainly stinks for Wainwright & the Cardinals, this is a huge boost to the Brewers' postseason hopes. I'm not shedding a tear for the Classies right now, I can tell you that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, sucks for Wainwright, but it is good for the Brewers. The Cardinals really have no one to replace him either. With the whole Pujols situation, and now this, the Cardinals may have a very rough season. Would be interesting to have the division race be between the Brewers and Reds. Sounds weird to even say that, but I like it.
I still see my Cubs as a darkhorse in this race. Yeah, on paper, the Reds and Brewers are better, but neither are one of those teams that are going to take the division and run with it. They may not be the 2008 team, but there not exactly the Pirates. The Cubs are full of question marks, such as Zambrano, Garza, Aramis, Pena, Soto, Castro, Colvin, and Soriano, and if healthy, the back of the bullpen could be one of the best(Guzman, Marshall, Wood, Marmol), and if its close in July, theres always the possibility of a patented Jim Hendry mega trade, something that the Brewers cant really do at this point after exhausting the farm for Marcum and Greinke. It will be a fun season and a competitve division.

Elbows are the classiest body parts to injure so this makes sense
Speaking of class, or lack there of

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/reds-outfielder-jonny-gomes-celebrated-news-of-adam-wainwrights-elbow-injury/

What a jerk. That's the definition of classless right there. He's getting one to the head the first time they play the Cards.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I had the same reaction as most of you. At first I was sad to see it because I never like to see an athlete go down like that but then it occurred to me how much this helps the Brewers. However, the Cardinals do have a reputation of having no name pitchers step up so we'll have to see how this plays out.

I had a similar reaction except in the opposite order.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I thought the Cardinals were going to stink before this, now I think they're going to really stink.

Aside from seeing Greinke and Marcum pitch, the thing I am looking most forward to is watching the Cardinals outfield attempt to play defense. That oughtta be good.

The reputation of Cardinals pitchers is grossly exaggerated. They have had a few guys step up for a single season mostly because they are a defense first team and a significant pitchers park but none of them have sustained anything and there is no reason to expect someone to way overproduce this season.

Are they ever amused by anything?

I think this would make for a fascinating spring training interview question.

"So Tony, you seem like a pretty curmudgeonly guy.... is there anything at all that you find enjoyable?

"Yes, teaching people how to be extra classy"

Archived