Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' Wainwright needs Tommy John surgery (Chris Carpenter leaves March 1 game with mild hamstring strain: reply 65)

Mass Haas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. That's a devastating blow for the Cardinals. Buster Olney is reporting that the Cards might go after Kevin Millwood. No matter how you slice it, that is a significant downgrade. And if Carpenter's year last year wasn't a fluke and actually the beginning of his decline, the Cards could be in big trouble, if they aren't already. On top of if, Nick Punto is out 2-3 months now. Thankfully we didn't sign him this off season.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Everyone's thinking it, if not outright saying it......

This is HUGE for the Brewers.

On a personal level, I feel bad for the guy, I've had TJ surgery and the rehab is more or less awful, but on a baseball level, this is a huge plus for the Brewers. Without Wainright, the Cardinals don't stack up to the Crew on the pitching front at all.

I had the same reaction as most of you. At first I was sad to see it because I never like to see an athlete go down like that but then it occurred to me how much this helps the Brewers. However, the Cardinals do have a reputation of having no name pitchers step up so we'll have to see how this plays out.

I bet the Cards are regretting letting Suppan go. This is probably the only situation where I am not sure if the previous statement should be in blue or not.

Tough loss for St. Louis though. As much as i dislike the Cardinals its tough not to appreciate a great pitcher like Wainwright.

I never said it because you don't want to sound like you are wishing it, but I've felt for some time that if I were a Cardinals fan, I'd be worried about the health of their starters. Carpenter has an extensive injury history and while Wainwright hasn't up to now, but he was the Cy Young favorite until a string of un-Wainwright like starts in late August to mid September and he went from 132 innings in 08 to over 230 in both 09 and 10.

Cards were already shaky in the #5 spot with Lohse. I would imagine they will be calling about Kevin Millwood (who was waiting on just such an occurance) now.

Community Moderator

The Cardinals are still a good team, but that's a huge loss. The Brewers survived without Gallardo in 2008 (barely) and he's not on the same level as Wainwright.

This is a major loss to the NL Central and the overall pitching dominance of the National League.

We're a week into spring training and we get the first significant injury. When I saw this on ESPN it just served as a reminder to how quickly things can change for a team. Wainwright is really the ace of this staff with Carpenter being 36 this year.

What hurts them is not only was Wainwright so effective, he logged 230 innings in each of the last 2 seasons. That allowed LaRussa to save his pen to let Garcia be basically a 6 inning guy.

I see them going after Millwood, who's at least a proven innings eater. But at this stage, at best Millwood's 200 innings, and a 4.20 or so ERA type. That's a far cry from Wainwright's last 2 seasons.

This certainly does make the Brewers favorites. Let's keep our fingers crossed our guys stay healthy.

I agree with you guys as well. I just saw this and at first was like, man that's too bad. You hate to see it and you feel for him and their fans. But I admidt my thoughts then went right to how much of a blow that is to their team and how much that does help us. I mean he's a stud.

More importantly they lost Nick Punto though for several weeks, I don't know if they can get over that loss.

Yeah, you don't like to see someone get hurt, but I tend to reserve that for high school and college athletes.

I just can't feel bad at all. It is the Cardinals after all, the guy will still get paid for this year, and especially after what we just went thru with the Packers. Sorry if that makes me sound... cold.

A couple things here:

1. This stinks. I hate the Cardinals with a passion equaled only by the Vikings, however I don't like seeing marquee players get hurt even theirs. What they do on the field is the reason most of us watch this game.
2. This likely means Pujols re-signs in StL and so does Wainwright. Wainwright was likely to get a huge deal after the season to the tune of $20MM per. Now, I think he'll be forced to take a one year deal to prove he is the same pitcher. This frees up some cash to sign Pujols in my opinion as I doubt Wainwright will ever see a $20MM per contract ever now.
3. I didn't think the Cards posed much of a threat in the first place to us but now I really see it as a two team race between us and the Reds. Pujols situation is going to be a distraction all season. An old Berkman in the OF. Rasmus and LaRussa situation. Question marks about Freese at 3B and Theriot at SS. Carpenter is mid to late 30s or right in the area where pitchers can expect decline. Garcia's rookie season was out of nowhere. I just don't see them matching up well with the Brewers or Reds. I believe the Cubs will pass them now for 3rd in the division as I like the Cubs pitching way more than the Cards and their lineup, outside of Pujols, arguably is better than the Cards as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

inverted W!!!!

I think

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

2. This likely means Pujols re-signs in StL and so does Wainwright. Wainwright was likely to get a huge deal after the season to the tune of $20MM per. Now, I think he'll be forced to take a one year deal to prove he is the same pitcher. This frees up some cash to sign Pujols in my opinion as I doubt Wainwright will ever see a $20MM per contract ever now.
I don't agree about Wainwright resigning. This is not the same situation as Sheets. Wainwright has been healthy for the last 4+ years he has been in the rotation. Someone who can afford the injury risk (Yankees) will give him a multiyear deal. If St. Louis only wants to give him one year or throw a low number at him like they did with Pujols someone will else will sign him. Pitching is at such a premium right now teams will look past this injury, especially since it is his first.

The Cards were required to pick up a 2 year option for '12 and '13 for ~12M/per after he finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young voting last year. I'm not sure if there are other screwy clauses regarding a significant injury or not.

The Cards were required to pick up a 2 year option for '12 and '13 for ~12M/per after he finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young voting last year. I'm not sure if there are other screwy clauses regarding a significant injury or not.

Yes actually, he needs to not be on the disabled list to end the season.

Not much to add, that doesn't already echo the general feeling of the thread. A real shame for Wainwright and baseball in general, but good news for our chances in the division. I don't think this removes the Cardinals from contention by any means, they're still one of the 3 best teams in this division this year.

All the best to Wainwright in his recovery.

I feel genuinely bad for Wainwright and the Cards, but yes this does put the Brewers & Reds in the catbird seat. IMO, there are two teams in that division that will struggle to handle an injury to a top starter. Let's hope the same bad luck doesn't fall on the other team.

That's one advantage the Reds have over the division. They aren't as good at the top of the rotation, but they can go deeper if they suffer injuries. The dropoff from a Greinke or Gallardo to a Rogers or Parra would be difficult to overcome.

Wow, sucks for Wainwright, but it is good for the Brewers. The Cardinals really have no one to replace him either. With the whole Pujols situation, and now this, the Cardinals may have a very rough season. Would be interesting to have the division race be between the Brewers and Reds. Sounds weird to even say that, but I like it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived